Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #111
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post
Stop putting "(rehab)" next to your leg extensions, and see if people get on your case about it! It'll be fun!

Nice work on the snowboarding. That's hard stuff to learn. I'm like you, when I go out I always have an idea of what I want to do/learn (riding switch, carving, jumping, etc) My friends are never that focused, they just go to ride. Maybe we're just too goal oriented?
haha

I don't know if we are more goal driven or just obsessed with being good. It is kind of weird because I don't want to be (nor think I can be...) world class at anything -- but I feel like I can be really fucking great at a ton of stuff....I always just try to get there as quickly as possible.

Most people i know just go out and ride too. One person didn't even want to try snowboarding because it would make him feel stupid -- i think thats dumb -- i always do things that make me look stupid -- you only look stupid for the first couple of times.

Maybe we just enjoy learning new things more than most people :P

1/22/2008: Rest Day. No fast.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #112
Chris Salvato

1/23/2008. 13 Hour fast, or so. Work Day. Today my computer died...as a sales rep, this is detrimental. Trying to fix it myself caused my stress (and catabolic hormones, no doubt) to shoot through the roof. There was wall hitting, pen throwing, computer yelling madness today....not fun. All in all, I got it working again and I was able to relax but I didn't get to do the things I wanted like practicing my piano. Snowboarding tomorrow should make up for it, though :P

With that said, this is what I did in the AM. Note that afterwords I saw my ART therapist and we did some more shock therapy and I had no pain on a pistol. We are making progress....

Warmup
5xMU (explosive kipping on bar)
2x1 360 Pull

Holds
PL: 60s - 15;13;10;14;13 (Kept losing my damn balance)
FL: TFLPU - 1x5 (tuck); 1x3 (adv. tuck); 1x5 (tuck)
OAHS: 25 sec (felt good but it was tough!)

Dips
BWx5
45x3
-----
75x5
75x4
75x3

My body is really making me fight for that 75x3x5....Next time I will try to to 75x3x5 again and see how far I go...looks like after this its 2.5# increases :P

Pistols
Left - neg followed by holds for 20 sec: 6 times
Right - weighted
BWx5
45x5
65x4+F (I was like, "wtf?")
45x5
55x5
65x2+F

Looks like 65 is my magic number right now for some reason. I think it was just a rusty motor pattern that I was thinking too much about. I think I can easily surpass 60# -- going to stay with FS bar position until I get the weight up to 100 or so then try OH again.

Leg Extensions (REHAB, YES REHAB RYAN)
20x12 (timed - 5 sec min)
30x12 (timed - 5 sec min)
20x12 (fast)
30x12 (fast)

I did the last two fast pretty much because I am getting sick of these. I think I will be able to go to lunges soon but we are being cautious...

Cooldown
Hip Flex - 30 sec min in each position
Open/Closed Pike/Straddle - 30 sec in each of the 4 holds
Active Flex - 30 sec in Pike and Straddle (lots of back lean on pike and shaking on straddle)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #113
Chris Salvato

1/24/2008: No fast. Snowboarding.

Wanted to work on goofy today but wound up hitting up some moguls and doing my first 2 blacks on a snowboard! Next time I will definitely be trying to hit up some goofy training -- i did some of it and I seemed to get it quickly but it needs some more work.

I also busted out a jump or two but nothing big...just trying to get used to taking off and landing to work up to terrain.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #114
Chris Salvato

1/25/2008 - About a 13 hour fast...i am not even sure if that counts :P I woke up this morning and I just had to eat...I was hungry and stressed because i thought i lost my new climbing shoes - so i had a 6 egg omelet with pineapple

I wasn't too sore from snowboarding...so i decided to go to the gym. After that, I had to drive to the climbing gym to pick up the shoes I forgot there (doh..) and I would up getting in about 30 mins of climbing...after all of that I was exhausted and hungry so I made myself a meal of about 1500 calories - a whole avocado, 1.41# of beef smeared with red palm oil, 5 stalks of asparagus and a sweet potato with butter -- and I was still hungry. This confirms my suspicions that I need to start eating a lot more. Also had a BF caliper test today and came out to be about 12.5%.

Warmup
Some random junk - Hanging Leg Raises, Ring Muscle Ups, Handstand Walks, L-sit supports...some junk until i felt warm :P

Holds
PL - 30 s going for Adv. Tuck - 4; 4; 5; 4; 4; 1 - some attempts slipped back into regular tuck but not for very long.
FL - TFLPU on rings - 3 (Adv.); 3 (Adv.); 2 (Adv.); 1 (Regular)
OAHS: 30 Sec each arm (one set)

HSPU (parallettes)
Conc: Tried it and just felt weak/tired. Bange dout a single but it was with awful form. Stuck to Negatives...

Negs:1x5;1x4;1x4

Did sets of 4 because the 4th rep was getting very fast. 5th would have just been wasted time.

OAC
1F Assist: 1x1
2F Assist: 1x2
FH Assist: 2x2

Second set of FH assist had purposely faster negs. First set was still going to slow and controlled.

Leg Extensions
20x12 (timed negs, min 5 sec)
20x12 (faster reps)
10x12 (timed negs, min 5 sec)
10x12 (faster reps)

These are just painful because of burning quads on slow concentrics and just annoying. I really can't wait until i don't need to do these anymore.

Cooldown
Hip Flexor Stretches - 30 sec each hold (including pistol bottom)
Active Flex - 30 s straight on both pike and straddle
Open Pike, Closed Pike, Open Straddle, Closed Straddle - 30 s each.

------------

Climbing

About 30 minutes. Did some V1s and worked on yellow/black traversal again. The traversal is getting much easier but I still fall off at certain points when I lose sight of what I am doing or a foot slips. Some parts are still a bit hard but i think that's because some foot holds fell off >.<
Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #115
Chris Salvato

1/26/2008 : No Fast. Rest Day. Traveling all day to ATL At least I will have time to catch up on some reading :P
Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #116
Chris Salvato

1/27/2008: No Fast. Travelling and running around all day for work. Some gymnastics progressions while in my hotel room...

Warmup
3 Rounds:
10 pushups
10 situps
10 air squats

3:15

I did some squat examinations in the mirror - i think i got a butt tuck again

Holds
L-sit - 25; 16; 10; 9 (Tried some advanced L-sit on the ground...hard shit..) - 60 s total
Planche - Adv. - 5; 4; 3
- Tuck - 15
- Adv. - 6 (between tuck and adv.); 6 (between tuck and adv.); 6 (more towards tuck than adv..)
- Tuck - 15
--- 60 s total across all sets

Alternated between the two until I got 60 sec total on the L-sits.

OAHS Holds - L - 20 sec (maxed out).
R - 20 sec (maxed out -- almost fell on my head)

All the other work must have ripped my delts to shit :P

Manna - about 5-10 mins MSH and Bent MSH on 2 chairs back to back. Was doing steve's manna progression move on a couch, too, but it was too intense after all that other pushing stuff.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #117
Charles Moreland

I need to step back a bit as well from most of my BW progressions and OAHS holds. I woke up today and I'm fairly certain my delts slapped me across the face and said, "NO!"
Charles Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #118
Ryan Brown

I noticed you didn't put (rehab) next to your last posting of leg extensions. This causes me to assume that you're using them for strength development. You know there are better ways to train the legs/quads, right? You should read Starting Strength.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #119
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post
I noticed you didn't put (rehab) next to your last posting of leg extensions. This causes me to assume that you're using them for strength development. You know there are better ways to train the legs/quads, right? You should read Starting Strength.
I am going to slap you with a sock full of nickels.

1/28/2009 - No Fast. Rest Day, kind of. Just doing OAHS work.

OAHS Holds - 35 sec each arm.

Doing it on the Right hand was HARD boy...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #120
Ryan Brown

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Did somebody inform you that my favorite weapon to make references to is a sock full of nickels? Because it is.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote