Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #121
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Did somebody inform you that my favorite weapon to make references to is a sock full of nickels? Because it is.
No -- it just happens to be my favorite weapon of choice, as well. High five O.o

1/29/2008: No fast. Working out in the hotel again.

Warmup
Str HS Press - 2x4; 1x3

L-Straddle
Arms together - 9 Sec
Split Arms, R Forward - 10 Sec
Split Arms, L Forward - 12 Sec
Arms together - 5 sec
Split Arms, R Forward - 10 Sec
Total- 46 Sec

OAHS
15 Sec Each Arm

TPPU
2x3 (Full Tuck)
1x2 (Full Tuck)

PPPU
1x5 (Feet on Floor, Hands on floor)
3x5 (Feet on 24" or so Table, Hands on floor)
1x5 (Feet on Floor, Hands on floor)

Cooldown
Active Flex - 30 s Pike, 30 sec straddle (each one straight set)
--- Really pushed the straddle sets -- cramps in abductors and glutes, definitely getting better here -- high straddle L-sits, here i come :P
Hip Flexor Stretches - 30 sec each position
Closed Pike & Straddle - 30 sec each.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #122
Chris Salvato

1/30/09: Rest Day. No Fast.

1/31/09: Work Day. No fast. (Haven't fasted at all while traveling...)

Warmup
Str HS Presses - 2x4; 1x2

Doing these for reps is actually REALLY damned challenging...Last set I hit my foot on the hook on my family's living room door and it fucked up my mojo (thus the low reps...)

2 Rounds:
10 Pushups
10 Squats
3 HeSPU

Yeh...Felt weak during that warmup. Going to avoid intense pressing since it has been all I have been able to do. Knee bothered me on the squats a bit too...

L-sit Raises (parallettes)
1x3 -> Noticed significant decrease in height on 3rd rep.
1x3 -> Got REALLY good height on the first few -- but the attempt at a 4th was a waste
1x4 -> Not easy. Main problem with this is a loss of height. I think I can quickly work up to no losses in height though and a solid V-sit.

Went as high as I could go working to V-sits.

Pistols - R Leg Only
BWx5
BWx7
BWx9
BWx10
BWx10

Tried to focus on getting my arms out to the side -- just too hard for now..need to work on that balance component :P

Cooldown
Active Flex - 30 sec each position
Closed Pike/Straddle - 30 sec each position
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #123
Chris Salvato

OK So with traveling and stress I somehow came down with a headcold that has been bothering me for the past few days. Unable to get good sleep and I get tired really early so I am trying to rest it out. The dry Colorado air is new to me while I am sick - I think I need a humidifier and that should help me get through the night because my throat and lips get ridiculously dry and painful when I have to breathe through them all night. I am also going to try cough drops for the oral analgesic effect. Hopefully with another night's good sleep I can get over this.

As of late I feel better but the lack of sleep is definitely holding me back and a dry throat is something I noticed even when I was not sick so an investment in a humidifier is probably the way to go here...

2/1/2009: Rest Day. No fast.

2/2/2009: Sick Day. No fast.

2/3/2009: Sick Day. No Fast

With that said, I put together a new routine that I think will work really well. Below is a layout for my plan of action. Blue means the exercises are blended/superset/coupled...whatever you want to call it.

My weighted PU and Dips I am going to keep on linear progression. Main goals that I am working towards most quickly are 2xBW Dip, OAC and HSPU full ROM. Other goals include increasing proficiency at FL and PL. Depending on the amount of time I have, things may change but I think this is a good starting point.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #124
Chris Salvato

2/4/2009: Rest Day Again. 15.5 Hour Fast. Decided to play it safe since i woke up still feeling a bit under the weather. Going to change outta work clothes and do my stretches after a very brief warmup but that's about it.

Warmup
3 Rounds
10 Pushup
10 Squats (didn't break 90 due to knee)

Cooldown
Hip Flexor Stretches - 30 sec each hold
Closed Straddle - 30 Sec
Open Straddle - 30 Sec
Open Pike - 30 sec
Closed Pike - 30 Sec

On that note, I am sorely missing able to train parkour, squats, technical gymnastics and oly....though I have found a new love for gymnastics strength.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #125
Chris Salvato

2/5/2009: 15.5 Hour Fast. Work Day on new plan.

Weighed in today at 176#. Did not test BF, will do that tomorrow with Omron electronic machine.

Warmup
Random Rings Junk - some 360 Pulls, attempts at a back lever (felt very weak on this today...), and dicked around with support RTO and some pullups.

Dips
BWx5
45x3
-------
70x3x5

Got some tips from an old timer on how to stop my swinging. It helped a lot - especially looking at a solid position in the distance and using DBs instead of plates. Last set felt like a true 5RM though. Since my next heavy set is in 1 week, going to do 75# at that time.

Coupled
TPPU (floor): 3x3
Inv. Hang PU:3x5

OK so both were harder than I thought after dips...Most sets of TPPU were broken - had to let my feet touch the ground and regroup for a split second. Sets got better as they went along though. Inv. Hang Pullups are definitely harder than I thought for reps. All broken sets - a lot of the issue was balance (falling forward) so I need to just practice this. I think the volume is OK but if I still feel week on these next week I may bump it down to 3x4.

L-sit Straddled Lifts (one hand in front, one in back): 3x3

Floor was hard, but i think I can make it harder (and managable) by doing these on Parallettes, instead. My legs would cramp as I approached 90 and there was almost no ROM to work though so I think the Parallettes will be necessary next time -- felt like a better workout when I tried them with DBs. Most sets went a bit faster than I would like because of the cramps at the top.

Pistols
R - Weighted
BWx5
25x3
------
55x3x5

Sets had some sloppy reps. A bit out of practice on these with weight. Used my arms out to the side for BW sets and it was good - a lot better than the first attempts. I think 55 was a good starting weight. Upping it to 65# next go-around.

Left - Negative with 20 sec hold at bottom: 5 Times

Cooldown
Open/Closed Pike/Straddle - 30 sec each position
Active Flex - Pike & Straddle - 30 sec each position (these are starting to feel really awesome.)
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #126
Chris Salvato

2/6/2009: ~16 Hour Fast -- maybe more if you don't count the half banana I had just before bed. Work day. Was running a little late this morning on my AM workout so I had to abbreviate things slightly...

Warmup
2 Rounds:
2 Kipping Bar MU
10 Pushups

1x360 Pull

OAC - Assist w/static lockouts at top, 90 and bottom (3-5 sec lockouts)
3x2 w/2F Assist.

2 Min rest between sets. Felt strong but 3x2 was def enough. 3x3 would have been a bit too brutal and 4x2 would have been too much, as well.

Coupled
HSPU - PB (neg): 3x4
TFLPU: 3x5

2 min rest between sets. TFLPU were a bit fast...need to focus on keeping my hips in line with my shoulders, doing the reps EXPLOSIVELY and locking out at the bottom.

Side Level Negatives
- Skipped....

Leg Extensions
20x12 (timed negs >5s)
20x12 (fast set)
30x12 (timed negs >5s)
30x12 (fast set)

Cooldown
Closed/Open Pike/Straddle - 30 sec each position
Active Flexibility - 30 sec pike/str
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #127
Chris Salvato

2/7/2009: ~18 hour fast. Rest day.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #128
Chris Salvato

So I was just messing around with some L-str. to Str. Planche work today and I wanted to see my progress so I took some Video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-5mnsBbDE0

Yes, I know my arms bend and yes I know my toes are not pointed on the first L-str. Get over it :P I started the day off with MUCH worse form.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #129
Chris Salvato

2/8/2009: No fast. Snowboarding.

Went out with someone a bit more experienced than myself and I was at a level where I wouldn't be holding him back too much. Taught me some stuff about how to go down steeper slopes and it was terrific. A lot of fun but I do need to get better at the steep stuff...lots of progress was made on this today. Once I master this I may spend more time dedicated to going switch/goofy.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #130
Chris Salvato

2/9/2009 - No fast. Work day. Still felt a bit sore in the AM workout. Oh well.

Warmup
Rings Junk
2x360 Pulls
2xReverse Crank

Just kinda messed around to get a bit warm in the upper body.

HSPU (boxes): 4x2

Felt good. I wasn't as warm as I should have been for the first set, i think, so I only did 2. As I got more warm and started to maintain balance on the top I realized I could do a 4th set, so i did. I think next time I will do 3x3 but with more of a warmup...maybe a bit more HS specific.

MU
GB Ladder - Wide Grip -> Narrow Grip -> Wide Grip Kipping - 3x1

All in all, not bad. Everything was good. Should continue with this ladder and focus on keeping my body straight (not L'd) during the eccentric and a bit more "solid" on the transition.

Pistol
R - Ladder: 7,9,11,9,7
L - Neg w/30 sec hold: 5 times

Str. L-sit Lifts
3x5

Did these on DBs resting on a 30 inch box. Worked out really well. Did one arm in front and one arm in back...working on height.

Cooldown
Hip Flex Stretches - 30 sec each position
Open/Closed Pike/Straddle - 30 sec each position
Active Flex - 30 sec pike, 20 sec straddle (couldn't hold it..)