Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #271
Chris Salvato

7/22/2009 - Work Day. Felt like crap. Drank a bit the night before and it definitely screwed with performance and recovery. I was pissed, to say the least. Just even more annoying to be at the intermediate level on many of these skills since progress will hinder so greatly on how I live my life outside of the gym, as well.

Warmup
Cycling: 3 minutes at a moderate intensity.

Weighted Dips
BWx2x5
80x3
----------
110x4+F
110x3
110x1+F

As you can see, this was a horrible bout for the dips. Hopefully with some recovery time and no further drinking I should be able to hit my short-term goal of 110x3x5 next time.

FL Pulls: 3xF-1
1 - 1 lay + 1 str.
2 - 2 str. with some pike at the top
3 - 1 str+1 tuck

The first rep is possible but somewhat difficult - it doesn't feel like a *max* but apparently it is. Going to stick with this. Start with straddle the whole time next session.

TPPU (rings): 3xF-1
1 - 10s hold + 1 rep
2 - 5 sec hold + 1 rep
3 - 6 PPPU

This is awaste of my time because of the placement of the exercise. It is on a very heavy push day but has a very strong psychological component. Next time do either PPPU (rings) or TPPU (ground).

Rehab LEs
1 - 50x5
2 - 50x5
3 - 60x5

60 was too much to start but then it got better and i could do it pain free.

Cooldown
Hip, Active, O/C S/P, Fronts - 30 sec each position.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #272
Chris Salvato

7/25/2009 - Work day. Did not go well. Thought about possibly doing a rest week. Decided that I need to do 3 more sessions then i can do a rest week, no problem. May do a 1RM test in my last session on dips if I hit 110x3x5 in my next session.

Warmup
Cycling: 3 Minutes at a moderate level
MU: 1x3, 1x2 + Cross @ 45 degrees

Explosive PU
BWx5x5

Need to change this to sets of 3. Explosive work should be in sets of 3...doh. This is more clear as #4 and #5 typically have less ROM. Should step up weight in 5# increments while being explosive. This will probably help ROM losses at lower weights, too. Next time 5#x3x3.

HSPU (PB): 3xF-1
1 - 3 reps -- lots of arch on the last one -- but elbows in is now second nature.
2 - 2 +1 negative -- almost deviated to elbows out when it got too hard.
3 - 3 but with lots of arch on the last rep.

RTO Dips: 3xF-1
1 - 1+F -- hm
2 - 3 + f -- left shoulder felt weird...
3 - 2 + form lost ...this was a horrible day for RTO dips!

Rehab LEs
50x5; 60x5; 70x5

Cooldown
Was running late...only did Hip and C S/P for 30 sec each.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #273
Chris Salvato

7/26/2009 - Rest Day...sorta. Did some PK throughout the day including one one-armed push ups and 1 arm wall dip attempts. That may have burned me out more than I thought...

7/27/2009 - Work Day. Was bittersweet...

Warmup
Muscle Ups: 2x3 -- These felt harder than usual today -- but this feeling "hard" is becoming consistent.
Cycling: 3 minutes at a moderate intensity

I am not feeling warm enough after these warmups...hrm

Weighted Dips
BWx2x5
90x3
90x2
--------
110x5
110xF
110xF

I can't explain this event. It has never happened before. I am usually able to get off a couple of reps in the next set - especially if I just did 5. I guess that was a true 5 RM...I am also approaching the end of this cycle which means I probably need to back off a bit....

FL Pulls (straddle): 3xF-1
1 - 2 reps
2 - 2 reps (form kind of degrading)
3 - 1 rep w/bad form + F

These feel good - going to keep them in the routine next cycle -- though they are really hard

PPPU (rings): 3xF-1
1 - 8 reps
2 - 6 reps
3 - 4 reps

These went pretty well. Shoot for 9 next time.

Rehab LE
60x5 - slight pain
60x5 - pain went away
70x5 - good

Cool
O/C S/P; Active; Hip; Fronts - 30 sec each position.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #274
Chris Salvato

7/28/2009 - Rest Day

7/29/2009 - Work Day. Not bad...definitely ready for that rest week after my next workout, though...

Warmup
MU: 1x3; 10#x1x2
Burpees: 2x10

Explosive Pullups
BWx3
10x3x3

Good ROM throughout the sets. If I continue this then I may want to progress weight in this way to 20x3x3.

HSPU (PB): 3xF-1
1 - 3 Reps with a lot of arch on last rep...maybe coulda squeaked out 4 with bad form
2 - 2 reps - last rep was slow and I lost the bounce out of the bottom
3 - 2 reps + F

Sets 2 and 3 were facing the wall and this is how I will do them from now on. Going to continue to shoot for 4.

1 - 4
2 - 3
3 - 2

Just felt weak today again...continue to shoot for 8 reps.

Rehab LE
30x3x10

Felt good. Frustrated with progress, as usual.

Cool
Hip, O/C S/P, Fronts, Active - 30 sec each.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #275
Chris Salvato

7/30/2009 - Rest day.

7/31/2009 - Work day. Last one of the cycle. Not too bad, overall

Warmup
One Legged Burpees: 3x5
MU: 1x3
Squat: 3x45
2x95

Weighted Dips
BWx5x2
80x2
90x2
--------
110x5
110x3+F
110x1

After the second set my chest felt incredibly ripped and sore quite suddenly. I couldn't do more than 1 rep in the second set as a result. I think after a week off and another intro session or 2 I can nail this 110x3x5 without a problem.

FL Pulls (straddle): 3xF-1
1 - 2
2 - 1+F
3 - 1 str+1adv. tuck

My chest was SO ripped from the dips that these were damn near impossible. Try for 3 pulls after rest week.

1 - 5
2 - 5
3 - 3

Last rep hurt too bad so I had to stop. Chest was absolutely wrecked so shooting for 9 was not going to be possible. Try for 9 again next time.

Rehab LE negs:
30x10
40x10
50x10

Cooldown
O/C S/P, Active, Hip, Fronts - 30 sec each position

8/1/2009 - Active Rest Day. Aerial's Gymnastics tricking session.

Went well enough. Still re-conquering my back tuck fear. Made a lot of progress but its going to take some more work.

8/2/2009 - Active Rest Day. Some parkour stuff including front flips. Maybe a bit too much for the knee. Lots of ice and massage.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #276
Chris Salvato

Well well...it seems I am a bit backlogged here...I won't remember EVERYTHING but oh well :P

8/3/2009 - Rest Day.

8/4/2009 - Active Rest Day. Went to an open gym at ArtSport and worked on some tramp stuff with a knee brace on. Also worked on some side flips into the pit - but the set and punch bothered the knee a bit. Worked on some handstand junk and just messing around. I thought my knee was fine after this...but it wasn't....

8/5/2009 - Rest Day...just some random junk in my apartment.

8/6/2009 - Rest Day.

8/7/2009 - Day 1 of the COPK jam. Did what may have been a bit too much jumping. Knee was slightly sore though I thought I was going very light on it.

8/8/2009 - Day 2 of the COPK jam. Did some very light technique work on some rails but the knee did not like that at all. By the end of the day my tuberosity hurt very badly and the bone was tender to touch. Pain migrated at some poitn from between the patella and the tuberosity to being focused on the tuberosity. The bone is very palpable and tender. Decided I need to do absolutely nothing on the knee for 6 weeks.

8/9/2009 - Day 3 of COPK Jam. Did pretty much nothing all day aside from Handstand stuff up and down stairs and rail balance. The rail balance bothered the knee, also, so I really knew that nothing meant nothing...

8/10/2009 - Day 4 of COPK Jam. Did ABSOLUTELY nothing on the knee. Only walking. If I could use my knee to get up onto a box, i still didn't use it - did everything with my arms. Really focused on staying off of the knee.

8/11/2009 - Rest Day - busy preparing for a meeting.

8/12/2009 - Rest Day - busy preparing for a meeting.

8/13/2009 - Overslept. Had to do my workout in the PM. Meeting tomorrow so I wanted to sneak in a workout to get my body back into it. Turns out my chest is still sore from the ME 3x5 dips I strained myself on almost 2 weeks ago...

Warmup: Some random junk...
5 DHPU; Advanced Tuck Planche 3x3 sec; 5 Kipping PU; 10 dips; OAHS; OAEL; 5 DHPU; 4x1 FSHSPU negs; L OAHS; R OAHS (long holds); 10 dips

Weighted Dips
45x5
90x4
100x2
-------
70x3x5

This was definitely a drop set and it was easy...but it still hurt my chest -- hell breathing is hurting my chest. 100x2 would have been easy but the chest was in pain. Fail. Maybe I should nurse this? :P

70x3x5 was a good re-introductory weight. I think I can do 100x3x5 next time provided that my chest doesnt feel like crap...then go for 110x3x5 again...

FL Pulls to Adv. Tuck FL Pullup
1 - 1 lay pull to 4 TFLPU
2 - 1 str pull to 2 TFLPU
3 - 0 pull - 5 TPFLPU

Lost steam big time. Feel week. Did a lot of front levers to show people stuff at the COPK jam so I guess it took its toll on me....I didn't like this much anyway. Pulls alone are good...or yewkis or something.

PPPU (rings)
1 - 3
2 - 4
3 - 4

Chest hurts - hindering performance. Still would like to shoot for 9

Cooldown
Hip, O/C S/P, Active, Fronts - 30 sec each position.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #277
Chris Salvato

8/14/2009 - Rest Day.

8/15/2009 - Work Day...but haven't done it yet. I think I need more structured, regular and advanced planning for my dips to get up to 2xBW. I will be considering this a bit and upping my frequency some on the dips...but for now will stick with 1 on 1 off...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #278
Chris Salvato

Wound up doing nothing on 8/15....and today is the first day I am getting back into structure training with the following program for the next 4-6 weeks.

HSPU: 3xF-1
1 - 3
2 - 3
3 - 2 + F

Not bad, a bit too much arch but felt good. Next time shoot for 4

FL Pulls: 3x1 (heavy)
1 - 1xFull Lay - bit of pike
2 - 1xFull Lay - bit more pike -- need to clean up form.
3 - 1xStr. - a bit better.

Next time just do Str. on Heavy Day.

1 - 4 - Chest a bit sore so didnt wanna push it
2 - 4
3 - 4

Trying not to push it. Focus again on the bounce out of the bottom. Can definitely do more of these next time was just not in the zone because of the chest. Better to ease into it, anyway.

1 - 5
2 - 5
3 - 5

Not bad. Can definitely do more but wanted to ease into it and not push too hard.

Pullups (light - to chest)
BWx5
------
30x3x3

Not too bad. Switching lighter days to muscle ups after this.

Cooldown
Hip, O/C S/P, Fronts, Active - 30 sec each.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #279
Chris Salvato

8/18/2009 - Work Day.

Freestanding PB HSPU: 3x3 Attempts of HS into SS neg.
1 - Freestanding, no wall assist - hard time keeping my body over my head on the neg. Scared.
2 - Freestanding, halfway through decided to use wall assist. Was away from the wall but used it as a safety net in case i started to go way over balanced.
3 - stuck with wall assist. This is the way to go for now.

Next time do 3x3 against the wall using the wall as little as possible.

FL Pullups (meant to do pulls but i screwed up the order :P) : 3x5
1 - 5 reps
2 - 5 reps
3 - 5 reps - hips sagged slightly to avoid hitting the top of the bar.

3x5 next time but do these on rings!

Adv. TP Hold: 3x6 sec

Went well. Up to 8 seconds next time juts to continue the lower intensity hold. Forearms burnt a bit.

Pullups (Heavy Single)
BWx5
45x2
70x1
90x1
100x1
110xF (pronated grip)
110xF (supinated grip)

Got about halfway on the 110s. Gonna go for 105 next time, then 110 the following week if I get 105.

Dips (Heavy Sets)
BWx5
45x5
70x2
-----
95x5
95x4
95x3

Next time try to go back to 100x3x5 since my neural pathways should be all cleared up. I think I was still held back by some residual chest pain.

Cooldown
Hip, Active, Fronts, O/C S/P - 30 sec each position.

Worked some tramp skills on my back at night. Mostly barrel rolls...random handstand stuff as usual, too.

8/19/2009 - Rest & Ice for the knee.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #280
Chris Salvato

8/20/2009 - Work Day.

Wall HSPU: 3xF-1
1 - 3 -> Some arch and then lost balance
2 - 2 + 1 neg - good form, didn't want to arch
3 - 1+1 w/sloppy form.

Oh well. Keep this up with freestanding neg work...

FL Pulls (light): 3x3 Adv. Tuck Pulls

Not bad. Try to go to 3x4 Next time.

Dips (light)
BWx5
45x4
--------
70x5x5

This felt good. Nice and fast and strong but did slow down a bit in sets 4 and 5. Go to 80x5x5 next time.

1 - 5 reps
2 - 5 reps
3 - 4 reps

Form got a bit worse -- stilla tendency to bring arms forward. Next time go for higher volume on the PBars

OAC Negatives: 3x3
1 - 3L/3R w/2 fingertip assist
2 - 3L/3R w/2 fingertip assist
3 - 3L/3L w/ some sort of assist

God, I forgot how much this sucked. This just about made me wanna puke. Next time do these as frenchies.

Cooldown
Skipped - running short on time and motivation.

----------------

Saw a PT for my knee today. She gave me some recommendations (stretches like I have been doing, ice massage, cross friction) and told me that I could do light work with my legs so long as the pain I experience clears up in 3 days. If it does not improve in 30 days then go to another ortho for a second opinion because surgery may be warranted to remove whatever is in the knee joint.

Did my hip stretches later since I was told to do them every day for 10 days.