Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #21
Chris Salvato

about 12 inches tall, 1.25" diameter and about 24 inches long.

They are kinda big, but I leave them in my trunk and just walk out to my car when i need them, then put them back when I am done.

You can also build smaller ones, just change the dimensions on the PVC design.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #22
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post

You can also build smaller ones, just change the dimensions on the PVC design.
Probably what I'll do is keep the height the same for the same depth, but then cut the horizontal in half or maybe just a third...something like that
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #23
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Probably what I'll do is keep the height the same for the same depth, but then cut the horizontal in half or maybe just a third...something like that
Yeah...i just recommend that you keep a pretty big diameter on the parallettes...like over an inch...otherwise they dig into your hands and make workouts more grueling than they need to be.

10/30/2008 - Rest Day

10/31/2008: Rest Day -- Was supposed to be a work day but being a social creature made that kind of difficult. This program is pretty easy to be flexible with on weekends...so I pushed the work day off until Saturday.

11/1/2008: Work Day

Warmup
C2 Rower - 2:36; 650m; 43 Cal
Squat work (listed below)
Burg WU x1

Back Squats (as part of warmup)
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x2

My form felt REALLY rusty, but the sets seemed easy. A bit harder than I remember, but still easy to perform. I still feel some minor pain in my R. Hip...it is not inhibiting, but it is there, and I don't like it ...so I am thinking I need to see an ART Certified Massage Therapist for some trigger point since rest alone just isn't cutting it and it has been about a month since I have avoided weighted flexion...

P. Snatch
90x2
111x3x5 (Higher volume sets to work on form with lower weight -- very last rep was a bail though.)
121x1 (To get used to a slightly heavier weight)
-----
133x2x2 (Higher weight, lower volume)

The higher volume was worth it...and I will likely repeat it next week with 121 instead of 111. I feel like I am making progress here but I need to remember to NOT face the mirror. I have gotten used to looking at the mirror during my snatch drop and it makes me self-conscious about catching the bar when I can't see a mirror. I also feel inhibited by my shoulders...as if my injuries don't want a backwards bail so I always jump/bail forward. Just going to take some work...

Muscle Ups
Concentrics w/Eccentrics: 3x2

These felt absolutely great. Just holding the rings now, I feel a lot stronger. It is as if my wrists are nice and comfortable where they are in false grip and my negatives are very controlled and not nearly as painful as they used to be...actually, they aren't painful at all! My legs also don't flail around anymore during the transition as I consciously hold an L-sit. My last set I know I was still getting good work from these since my eccentrics sped up significantly. I originally planned on doing negatives, but I don't need them anymore!

Press
45x5
90x3
133x1
-------
143x3x3 (~88% of max)

Last set was definitely a 3RM. Going to increase by 5# next week to see if I can operate for 3x3 at 90% of max and get the same results. I think this was the right weight to go to for the press

WOD
Inverted Fran
21-15-9
Pullups
95# BB Thrusters

12:42

OK, I meant to do Fran but I accidentally did the pullups first...doh. At any rate, the last time I did Fran was about a year ago and I didn't keep a strict log at that time. At that time, I think my best time was around 9 minutes...But I was metconning a lot more. That, plus maxing out on the Press and doing MU work probably didn't help things.

Overall, I am a little disappointed with my time...I expected strength work to carry over a bit more but it appears I need to work on my endurance a bit more. Oh wells, thats why I am doing these WODS!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
Chris Salvato

11/2/2008: Rest Day. 17 Hour Fast
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
Chris Salvato

11/3/2008: 15 Hour Fast.

Work Day

Warmup
C2 Rowing - 2:35; 641 m; 42 Cal
Burg WU

P. Clean
155x3
175x1
195x1
205x1
--------
220x5x2

New PR. Old 1RM was 215. Very happy about this. I notice that when I reverse directions when i go heavy that I split my legs apart a bit too wide. I need to focus more on bending at the knee and going to just beyond shoulder width like the squat.

HSPU (full ROM)
Concentric (Attempts)
1 - Success but much arching
2 - Fail - Arched too much and fell forward
3 - Success but much arching again
4 - Fail - couldn't get out of the hole

Negatives: 3x3

Last rep was very fast...total fail.

Back Squat
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
-------
245x5
245x2 - Too much forward lean...want to fix my form...
185x5 - Felt harder than it should have.

Really need to focus on superman chest and upright torso...need to drive with the glutes WITHOUT losing my back angle now...

WOD
Power Grace
60kg P. Clean & Jerk for time

7:25

Not too bad for a day where I hit a new cleaning PR as well as back squatting again for the first time in over a month...

Cooldown
Reverse Hypers - Slow controlled negs - 3x5
Stretching
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #26
Chris Salvato

11/4/2008: No Fast. Work day.

Warmup
C2 Rowing - Light - 2:36; 618m; 38 cal
Burg WU

P. Snatch
90x3
111x3
---------
121x5x3
-------
133x2x2

Everything went really well. Next time, 5x3 at 133.

Muscle Ups
Concentrics: 3x2 + 1 + F

Tried to do 3x3 but couldn't do a third consecutive rep even on my first set. Then I tried to do 4x2 but I failed on the second rep of the third set. Going to chalk it up to a bad day. Next time I will be try 3x3 again.

Front Squat
45x5
131x5
--------
155x3x5

A bit of a forward lean but this was the first time I ever did FS. I think it went fairly well...but I can focus on keeping a superman chest and upright torso a bit more. Deep squatting causes forward lean a bit -- need to focus on fixing my glute inactivation problems :P

WOD
4 Rounds for time:
10 Double Unders
97' Sprint x2 (One side of the basketbal court to the other and back)
10 Pull ups

5:01

Probably can do sets of 20 Double Unders from now on...after first set, I could do 10 in a row easy, even after sprinting.

Cooldown
Reverse Hypers - +40x3x8...after all that other work, this was difficult...

------------

About 3 hours after my workout, I did some supinated leg raises (3x8 - each leg and then both at the same time) to work on my glute activation. Also, I have been squeezing my glutes sporadically during the day going for glute tension holds to work on glute activation...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #27
Chris Salvato

11/5/2008: 15 hour fast. I broke the fast with lunch...which i thought we were going to be eating at a sit down diner and it wound up being a fast food burger shack. I knew it was either eat then or not until 8 PM. In retrospect, I should have just fasted all day. I wound up getting 4 burgers and just eating the meat along with a side salad. Went back to the office and made myself some oatmeal and a glass of milk...

Going into the gym today I didn't feel strong. My rowing felt lacking from the getgo...but I took it light because I need to in order to save my "steam" for the workout. However, the workout developed into a very hard day...with the exception of a PR on the DL...though the last rep was very sloppy.

Warmup

C2 Rowing - Light - 2:36; 640m; 41 cal
Burg WU

Tall Cleans
45x5
90x5
111x3
121x3
---------
133x5x3

Experimented with some different approached. On my second to last set, someone came up to me I never saw before and said he was impressed with my form and technique but said that I need to drive with my glutes. I told him I was doing Tall Cleans and he told me that I should still be flexing my hip just a bit...so I did for my next two sets. However, I got back to my apartment and looked up videos and it looks like tall cleans don't need any hip flexion...and that makes them a lot harder (obviously). I guess I need to wait to get Greg's book/DVD to see about that...

HSPU (full ROM)

Concentric Attempts:
1 - Success (w/lots of arching)
2 - Pushed up but fell over at the top because of arching
3 - Success (w/lots of arch)
4 - Fail

Negatives: 3x3

Some Neg reps were a bit fast..I just didn't feel as strong as I normally do here.

DL

135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
-------
345x3

First 2 reps of work sets were great. Last rep was very sloppy...but it got up :\

WPU Testing
Previous Record 105
Previous Tests: BWx3; +25x3; +55; +75; +90; +95; +100; +105
Today's Tests: BWx3; 75x2 (felt weak...); 90; 100 (F)

Maybe I failed because I did 40 Kipping PU last night...just did not feel strong here at all..

OAC
2x3 Negatives without touching down

Went OK just did not feel strong at all...

Cooldown
Stretched, focusing primarily on hip flexors since I am having a major glute inactivation problem on my squats.

---------------------

I need to change my program since I can back squat again. I need to squat every day I get into the gym to get back to where I was. I feel weak under the bar and that needs to change.

Similarly, I need to now focus more heavily on the squat -- and to be honest, Gant's program is for those who have exhausted linear progression and It should only take a few weeks for me to get back on the horse, as it were.

Here is my new routine until I exhaust linear progression on my squats again. Since I am still interested in losing body fat, I am going to keep incorporating WODs into the mix...Some goals are going to be put on hold...but like I said, only for a few weeks, hopefully.

3x a week routine, 2 workout scheme, similar to SS:

Workout A
Back Squat
Press/Jerk/HSPU
Deadlift/Clean (only DLing/Cleaning 1x per week since I exhausted prog on those)
OAC

Workout B
Back Squat
Snatch
Muscle Up
WOD
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #28
Emily Mattes

Chris, I've heard two different things regarding hip flexion in tall cleans. In Greg's book, he says no hip flexion, simply a slight lean back and a big shrug. However, my coach advocates for a small amount of hip flexion, as he says it better imitates the actual movement of the bar during the clean and discourages the slight pulling with your arms that can occur doing the tall clean flat-footed.

I have real problems with pulling with my arms during my lifts so I add the hip flexion in. I think you might develop faster movement under the bar without it, though.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #29
Chris Salvato

That's a good insight Emily...

I feel like weightlifting coaches vary on the specifics so much from one coach to the other ... thats why when I speak to experienced lifters I hear 10 sides of the same coin.

My biggest weakness on full cleans right now is that I have ONLY done Power Cleans (a la starting strength) and ONLY back squats (again, a la starting strength...)

With your comments in mind, for Full Cleans I need better front squats and I need to work on my drop. I think thats why, for now, I should probably avoid a slight hip flexion. Later on, when I get a more developed full clean, I can probably do tall cleans with just a bit of flexion...or even just mix it up.

I do appreciate the insight though, it really helped me a whole bunch. Thanks Emily!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #30
Chris Salvato

11/6/2008: Rest Day. 15.5 Hour Fast