Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #31
Chris Salvato

11/7/2008: 16.5 Hour Fast - Work Day

Warmup
C2 Rowing - Light - 2:36; 630 m; 40 cal
Burg WU

Back Squat
45x5
135x5
155x3
185x3
-------
225x3x5

Need to focus more on chest up...chest still caves on many reps. I think the main issue is that I have programmed my motor pathway to not extend my hip during knee flexion...thus the good-morning effect. Conciously focusing on hip flexion throughout the movement will likely help a bunch as it did on a few reps. Going to repeat this on next work day focusing on this cue...and going to focus on the glutes pulling me through the whole movement.

P. Snatch
90x3
111x3
121x1
-------
133x5x3

Right Shoulder was irritated a bit here but most sets were good -- still jumping forward some but I am getting beyond it. The quality of each lift is getting a lot better. I will be progressing next time around to 138#.

Muscle Up
Concentrics w/Eccentrics: 4x2

No fails. However, most of my reps are very explosive and results in my left turning over a bit before my right and dominating the movement. Focusing on the eccentrics should help break this habit a bit. Going to try 3x3 next time -- more overall volume and more volume per sets.

WOD
3 Rounds for time:
25 Double Unders
7 190# DL (1xBW)
15 Ring Dips

13:53

The WOD went good but as u can see, a bit slow for the target time of 5-10 minutes. This was mostly due to the ring dips...my max is only around 13 and 3 rounds of 15 was rough. I saw failures on 3 reps on the second round and failures on 2 reps on the third round. Definitely a good way to go but needed to be more conservative on Ring Dips being as they are a weakness. On a lighter note, i saw a 20 set of DUs...which is really nice -- i would like to get my DU max up to 50.

11/8/2008: 19 Hour Fast. Rest Day.

After yesterday's workout day my knee has an unusual pain that doesn't seem to be associated with my tendinitis. Continuing Hip Flexor stretches, icing and massage throughout the day...along with glute squeezes.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #32
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
11/7/2008: 16.5 Hour Fast - Work Day

11/8/2008: 19 Hour Fast. Rest Day.
Hows fasting working out for you compared to eating at regular times throughout the day? I was thinking of trying IF to lose some fat that I gained during SS? Any thoughts on how/if this'll help lose fat but retain all the muscle?
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #33
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Hows fasting working out for you compared to eating at regular times throughout the day? I was thinking of trying IF to lose some fat that I gained during SS? Any thoughts on how/if this'll help lose fat but retain all the muscle?
Well, I have been fasting for a few weeks now....but i would hardly consider myself experienced in it.

From my limited time fasting, I can say, however, that my results haven't been very good regarding weight loss. I lost about 2#, maybe, in the past month...but i dont think that has anything to do with fasting. Allow me to explain...

When I first started fasting I was doing it every day for 19 hour fasts right off the bat. Yeh, that wasn't smart...It was much too hard and I was not used to fasting. I took a step back and I started fasting 1-2x a week for 15-16 hours. It was really a lot better that way, however, with unlimited time to eat at night, I was still taking in a ton of calories (I am REALLY good at making healthy calorically dense meals...)....These days I am fasting more often since I am more used to it..something like every day/5 times a week for 15-19 hours.

Also, as of late, I have been doing IFOC (IF on Crap) moreso than I would like. Unfortunately, I break fast at work and when I do, im really freakin hungry. I wind up just going to lunch wherever everyone is going....which sometimes is crappy food, even when I don't want to. Just been a series of unfortunate events. Also, I was getting rid of all the milk, cheese and fatty meats I was eating during my GOMAD strength gaining cycle...so my meals were very very high in calories.

I have maintained and stopped gaining, and now that my meals are going to be more conservative I am sure I will see more results. So far, I like it a lot better than zoning or eating more meals per day because, realistically, I was hungry 100% of the time on zone but these days im only hungry 70% of the time....though the magnitude of hunger is great, it makes the food you break fast with taste phenominal. Just beware of your natural tendencies to want to eat anything u can get your hands on...
Old 11-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #34
Chris Salvato

Maybe I spoke too soon in that last post... I measured in at 183# today, about 6# less than last week...i think it was mostly water weight but maybe fasting is kicking in?

11/9/2008: 17.5 Hour Fast. Decided to try working out while fasting...

I went into the gym today and I felt very weak and unmotivated. Through the whole session my performance was sorely lacking. Nothing was going well, at all. There are several factors working against me like a sore chest from the ring dips, being somewhat dehydrated and going in while fasting. I think the latter two are the main reason i did poorly. I need to be more attentive to my water intake while I am fasting...this is something I think that can be a problem with my fasting in general and I need to break the habit and start drinking more...

Warmup
C2 Rower - Light - 2:36; 583m; 34 Cal (very low compared to the usual)
Burg WU

Back Squat
45x5
135x5
155x3
185x3
------
230x2 -> 3rd rep had a lot of lean so i decided to step back my weight in the interest of form
210x2x5 -> These sets still seemed very hard -- harder than they should. Last rep had some fwd lean on both sets and focusing on my breath helped a ton. Still need to induce a stronger valsalva maneuver at the bottom to help with upright torso. Will likely do a 5# jump next time to 215 to continue to work on form and vertical torso.
210x1 -> Did a backoff rep to practice valsalva in the hole. Determined need to flex abs more.

P. Clean
155x3
175x1
195x1
205x1
215x1 (F first try, S second try)
--------
225x5x2 (this was the plan...actually did below)
---
225x1 -> Fail
205x1 -> Fail
205x2x2 -> All Reps had too much forward jump except for a single rep. I also felt weak under the bar, as i did the whole day. Next time, I will try 225x5x2 again...

Jerk
45x3
90x3
131x3
155x1
165x1
---------
180x5x3

Did a mix of split and push jerk. They all went well but I need to focus on receiving the bar in full extension most of the time. The last rep of my sets usually had me extending some out of the receiving position.

OAC
Unassisted Negative attempts: I can hold from the top until about 1/2 down then I just totally give way on both sides. Just need more time...maybe focus more on the bottom half of the technique.

3x3 Negatives (alternating arms with assistance)
1- Done without touching ground
2 - Reset grip and jumped up into each rep.
3 - Reset grip and jumped up into each rep.

So tired...felt like a nap all day before and after my workout...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #35
Chris Salvato

11/10/2008: Rest Day. 15 Hour Fast
Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #36
Chris Salvato

11/11/2008: 16 Hour Fast. Work Day.

Warmup
C2 Rowing - Light - 2:37; 644m; 42 cal
Burg WU

Back Squat
45x5
135x2x5
155x3
185x3
-----------
215x2x5
215x3

Failed on the 3rd set of 5. Keeping my torso upright is a lot harder than the way I WAS squatting...still some hip pain in the right and some hip pain in the left has started to surface...Did some more hip flexor stretches and I am desperately trying to fix this upright torso/tight lumbar curve problem...

P. Snatch

90x3
111x3
121x1
133x1
-------
138x5x3

Last 2 sets had some bad receives. However, all in all, it was good. Start to lose the explosiveness by the 4th set. It is definitely much more noticeable than when I was learning cleans. Need to start working on pulling with a torso that is just a BIT more upright.

Muscle Up

Concentrics w/Eccentrics: 5x2

Wanted to do 3x3...but I just couldn't get that third rep turned over and extended. I have a real hard time turning over both arms in unison...I really need to work on that. I kipping on accident on ONE rep and on another rep I have been stressing being explosive to the top. However, nothing really seemed to help. I upped to volume to 5x2 instead of 4x2 like last time...I am close to a set of 3, I just know it...

WOD

4 Rounds for Time:
250m Row
25 Double Unders

7:56

Stupid damn straps holding me up on the C2. Double Under sets went really well this time...first was for 20 reps! However, my WRIST of all places was fatigued and limiting the turn overs and caused a lot of fails in later rounds. All in all, it went ok

Cooldown
Reverse Hypers: 40x3x8
Hip Flexor Stretches

REALLY felt the reverse hypers in my glutes/hammies for the first time ever. Starting to really feel the benefits of glute activation practices.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
Chris Salvato

11/12/2008: No Fast. Rest Day

11/13/2008: No Fast. Work Day.

Warmup
Rings Work:
360 Pulls (about 4)
BRS Attempts (2...but not even close...)
Front Lever Work (3 holds, 1 with false grip)
Back Lever Work (2 solid 10 sec holds, but I think I need to video this to make sure form is good)
MU Attempts (a few...felt very weak..)
HS on rings (also some shoulder stands, against the wall...this needs lots of work..)

Press
45x6
90x3
133x1
--------
148x2x1
148x1
155x2x1

Wanted to do 148x3x3 but I just felt so WEAK (noticing a trend yet?) Decided to reduce volume and up the intensity -- fuck it, why not, right?

DL
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
335x1 (Used this to see if I might be ready for multiples on 355...felt WEAK, trend?)
315x2 (Felt Very weak...glad I didn't go for 355..)

OAC
Unassisted Negative Attempts: One each arm on a thin bar. Not too bad. Can hold it for a second or so but then I lose it and the negative is a bit too fast. Still need more work on assisted negs...

Negatives: 10 minutes - one negative on each arm every minute on the minute w/o touching down if possible.

By Minute 6 the negs were substantially faster, but still controlled.

Last 2 minutes the negs were pretty fast -- faster than I would like...

No cool down today...

------------

After some thought about it on my own and discussing my situation with Steve, I decided I need a week off since it has been almost 8 weeks since i have had one and my training is stagnating ... and regressing. I may be overtraining, and that's not good. Time to take a step back and see if i can supercomp...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #38
Steven Low
Super Moderator

R-r-r-rest break. Good for the soul...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #39
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
R-r-r-rest break. Good for the soul...
I was about to say the same thing.
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #40
Ryan Brown

haha, just read your post on my APK log. I thought about coming here because people are in fact very smart. And, after you and Steve, it seems that moving from APK to Pmenu is the hip thing to do. I'll see how the CF boards treat me for a month or so.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote