Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #61
Chris Salvato

12/8/2008 - Work Day. 16.5 hour fast.

Warmup
Rowing: 2:35 ; 636 m; 41 cal
FL pulls (ice cream makers) - a few attempts, none to fully parallel...

Tuck Front Lever Work
3 Max Holds - 11 count; 12 count; 9 count -- need a better way to keep time...

Romanian Deadlifts
45x10
90x8
131x5
155x3
175x3
-----
205x3x5

It feels ok but I don't feel like I am hitting the hammies as much. I need to be more attentive to form and drop the weight. Will drop back to 175 to just reacquaint myself with the form -- i am betting I will actually feel more work in the hammies as a result.

Dips
BWx5
+20x5
------
+50x3x5

Just hard enough. Ready for 55# without a doubt.

Leg Extensions (rehab)
10x12
20x12
30x12
40x12
50x12

Most sets had shaky negatives -- even 10#. 50# I did many reps (about half) with assist from the other leg to get it to a controlled negative starting point. I think that it might have been shaky because of the adjustment i had this morning.

Pistols
Neg w/20sec Hold (Left) - 6 negatives + hold
Full Pistols (Right) - 6 sets x 7 reps

The holds at the bottom are still hard -- i feel like i couldn't push out of them if I needed to. Also, the negative is still quite painful. But my balance on the bottom with my left is getting a lot better!

My right felt awesome though. I am really getting the hang of multiple rep Pistols. After i was done with the pistols, I tried them with some weight and i could do 40# but not 50# after 42 pistols Also, I tried some pistol box jumps, and those definitely need work! hah

Cooldown
Stretches all around. Hip flexor stretches were held for 30 seconds minimum. Splits done multiple times, each at least 10 seconds each. Practiced some split to handstands, again.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #62
Chris Salvato

12/9/2008: Rest Day. No Fast.

Kinda got bored, so played around with Tuck Planche holds since I haven't done them in like 5 months. Used to be able to hold about 40 seconds...now im down to 12 or so :P I also weigh about 15# more..so... :P

Tuck Planche: 12 sec; 12 sec; 9 sec; 10 sec

I need to start working these again if I ever want to planche :P

Also did some HS holds against the wall for the first time ever:
70 Sec

I am doing this because I realized tonight I normally don't hold my freestanding handstands longer than 20 seconds, and I feel like I need to get to a 1 minute hold.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #63
Chris Salvato

12/10/2008: 16.5 Hour Fast - Work Day. Started the AM workouts to ramp up for high intensity 2-a-days. However, I did 2 workouts today if you count my AM workout + climbing for 1.5 hours in the PM.

AM - God working out in the AM for the first time is frickin AWFUL...felt tapped at first but it got better...luckily i can't do anything like squats heh

Warmup
C2 Rower - 2:35; 642 m; 42 cal

RDL
45x10
90x8
131x5
151x3
-------
175x3x5

Went well - wanted to reset this just to make sure my form is 100% solid and I am not rounding or anything like that at the bottom. All seemed ok...and was able to do them faster.

OAC
1x3
1x2
1x2
3x1

(setsXreps)

First 3 sets with multiples were done without touching down and a full 2AC Concentric. I had not done this in a while and it was brutal. By 2 PM I felt sore in my lats. Definitely felt the results of not working these in a while. The last 3 sets (singles) were done as slowly as possible to keep about 5-7 sec TUT with a touchdown. Glad I did this.

Reverse Hypers
50x3x8

Went well, next time ramp it up to 10 reps.

Leg Ext (Rehab)
10x12
30x12
50x8 (Assisted concentrics)

Again focused on fast concentric slow eccentric but i was so tired from changing my sleep schedule, I had to go just a bit light on this.

Cooldown
Hip Flexor Stretches - 30 sec hold minimum on each stretch

------------------------------------------------------------

PM - Was a bit tired and hungry from fasting all day...but this was actually a pretty good workout.

Climbing
1.5 Hours

Definitely learning the ropes, as it were...but I feel I am picking up on some concepts quickly. Felt a lot more fluid by the end of 1.5 hours than at the beginning...but I have a long way to go. I like it!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #64
Chris Salvato

12/11/2008 - No Fast. Work Day. 2-a-day.

AM - Felt way better this morning as opposed to yesterday morning...

Warmup
C2 Rower - 2:35; 582 m; 34 cal

This felt light -- my lats and forearms were a bit sore/weak from climbing.

FL Holds
15 count; 10 count; 5 count

I need a better way of timing this...with that said, my grip was struggling, and the last 2 holds had a bit of a swing... Would like to work up to 1 minute holds but it is hard to know exactly how long I am holding it -- going to try with my gymboss next time.

Dips
BWx5
20x5
--------
55x3x5

(setsXreps)

This was a bit hard being a bit sore...but i did all sets through and through, no failures. Going to try 60# next time -- if I am not sore, this should be no problem!

HSPU (full ROM)
4x3 Negatives

Reps were to start, and to finish, a bit faster than I would have liked. The reps in the middle were good. Might be better if i do more sets at 2 reps a piece, instead.

Pistols
Left - Negatives with 20 sec hold - 7 Reps

Right - Weighted
BWx5
+20x5
+40x3
---------
+50x3x5
--------
BWx5

(wXsXr)

Felt good but wobbly. I alternated - did one hold then 1 set, and so on. The 50 was a challenge and balance becomes an issue when you get fatigued in pistols, as I found out. BW feels so much easier once you add weight. On the plus side, I successfully did a controlled negative on my left without TOO much pain. My first real sign of progress!

------------------------------------------------------------

PM - Was a lot harder than I thought...

Muscle Ups
Tried to do a Pyramid -- but I could only get to 2 reps >.< So i did 2 Pyramids.

Pyramid 1 - 1 rep; 2 reps; 1 rep - 4 rep total
Pyramid 2 - 1-2-1 - 4 rep total

Tried another single and failed...so I guess that I pushed myself to my endurance limits...Really want to get my max up from 2 to like -- 10... :P

HS Walks - Half to just mess around and half because I wanna be better at this :P
Attempted to cross a basketball court the short way (47 feet if its regulation..)
1 - Made it about 30 feet
2 - Made it all the way across!

Now I need to get across, pirouette, and walk back

Active Flexibility Work
Ran through a suite of 10 sec holds trying to pull to my limits of flexibility:
Standing Side Split
Standing Front Split
Handstand Side Split
Sitting Pike Stretch
Manna Straddle

After talking with steve, I did this totally wrong -- should be doing Sitting straddle L-sit and Sitting Pike stretch for active flex. Will keep this in mind for the future.

Leg Extension (rehab)
10x12
30x12
50x12
60x8

Last 2 sets I did full assist on the concentric and slow controlled neg. First 2 I did fast single leg concentric, slow eccentric.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #65
Chris Salvato

12/12/2008: 16.5 Hour Fast. Appetite is very curbed - only ate one meal today, probably under 1000 calories plus some candied almonds with Emergen-C. Fasting for another 17 hours or so until tomorrow, too. The ZMA at night is starting to make me dream -- vividly. I wake up well rested very early, though. Worked out in the AM again then saw my ART therapist. Tomorrow is a rest day thank god. 5 workouts in 3 days. Absolutely brutal on my body. Good thing is I am now sleepy by 9 PM and in bed by 10:30. I love it.

Warmup
C2 Rower: 2:36; 606; 37 cal

Planche Holds
Tuck Planche 60s: 24, 15, 13, 8

RDL
45x10
90x8
131x5
155x3
---------
195x3x5
(WxSxR)

MetCon: Death By Pullup
11 Rounds + 7 Pullups

73 total pullups in 12 minutes

I wanted to do a metcon here because my pulling strength has been stalled and i have worked it VERY hard lately with climbing, OAC and TFLPU and just TFL Pulls. The metcon results are a bit skewed. I could do the pullups but my grip failed on the shitty plastic bar. Gripping it hurt after the 11th set...even though the 11th set was unbroken. If the bar was better (wood or thinner) I woulda had more...but thats really no excuse. I wasn't really winded an almost no soreness in my back/lats -- all grip. Also, I had some pain pre-warmup in the biceps tendon which also played against me a bit..

In short, I am not too unhappy here, though I wish I did better :P

Reverse Hypers
BWx3x10

Wanted to go lighter here. Been too high intensity these past few days and I needed to take it down a notch.

Stretching
Hip Flexor Stretches - 30 second hold in all positions
Active flexibility work
60 seconds total on each:
Sitting Pike L - 15,15,15,15
Sitting Straddle L - 10,10,10,10,10,10
Old 12-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #66
Chris Salvato

12/13/2008 - ~21 Hour Fast. Rest day, thank god
Old 12-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #67
Chris Salvato

12/14/2008: ~15 Hour Fast. Work Day. Felt strong but yet weak at the same time. Was very odd. At the end of my workout, I weighed in at 178...the lowest I have been in months. My BF%, according to my Omcron, is 11.8% which puts me at about 157# Lean....thats about a 5# lean loss from when I was 191. That means my total losses have been 13#..or 61% of the loss has been fat. Not bad, I guess...I just hate losing lean mass. I think I may need to start upping my calories. I have gone a few days with only one small meal or two large ones that still don't add up to very much. I may go back to drinking lots of milk and being even more liberal with things like oil and butter and fatty cuts of meat and see how it works out for me...

Warmup
C2 Rower: 2:35; 644 m; 42 Cal

FL Holds
Tuck - 60s Total: 28, 20, 12

RDL
45x10
90x8 (should do 111 next time, just easier..)
131x5
155x3
175x1
--------
205x2x5 (Wanted 3x5 but felt my form wasn't perfect...)
200x5 (Felt a bit better, hard to tell without video or feedback)

Dips
BWx5
+20x5
-------
+60x3x5

These felt a lot slower than I would have liked, but no fails. On the 3rd set, before starting, I REALLY did not want to do it...which is a good sign -- means im progressing...but the sets are getting very hard.

Pistols
Left: - Negatives with 20s hold - 7 reps

Right: Weighted
BWx5
20x5
40x3
-----
60x3x5 - Had to switch to a min-barbell in FS position for 60#. Dumbells were too clunky and hard to hold. Felt a lot better with the bar. I may want to progress this up to OH Position eventually.

Alternated sets between L and R. Also didn't feel like doing these. Good sign of stressing things. Going to push through this for another week, with 2-a-days, then recover like a badass Christmas week..

Cooldown
Stretches - Hip flexor & Hammie -- splits, too. Held all stretched for at least 20 sec, at most 35.

Active flexibility
Pike - 60s total: 20, 20, 20
Straddle - 60s total: 15,15,15,15
Old 12-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #68
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post

FL Holds
60s Total: 28, 20, 12
Full front levers? If so, then hot damn!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #69
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Full front levers? If so, then hot damn!
er no...I forgot to put "tuck" in there :P I will edit it now -- because I am definitely NOT that badass lol
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #70
Chris Salvato

12/15/2008: ~16 Hour Fast. Work Day. Had my BF% Tested with calipers for the first time in a long time. 13%..which is about 1% higher than the readings from my electronic tester.

This higher volume of high intensity work is absolutely destroying me. One of the random trainers at the gym today told me "You look tired, man" and I didn't realize how right he was. I am exhausted. I am looking forward to my rest day tomorrow...then I have 4 workouts in 3 days. GUH - But all for the supercomp i suppose...or i hope :P

BTW, had more f###ed up dreams on that ZMA last night...5th night in a row with crazy dreams...

Warmup
C2 Rower - 2:35; 641 m; 42 cal

Planche Progression
Tuck - 60s total: 16 sec; 13 sec; 12 sec; 4 sec; 6 sec; 9 sec

OAC
Negatives
3x2

Did the negatives VERY controlled. First set was with full assist on the concentric. Second set was with 2 finger assist. Third set was with 3 finger assist - 2 finger was just much too hard.

Before this, I tested my OAC on a thinner bar and got to about 130 before stalling on my right. Couldn't pull just yet with my left. Getting there....

HSPU (full ROM) (chairs)
1 - single concentric then fell towards stomach
2 - double - second one was very hard then fell towards stomach
1 - Single then fell towards stomach
1 - single then fell towards stomach -- attempted double but failed.
1 - single. Difficult concentric -- had lots of arching.

HS Walks (for Fun)
About 25 feet or so.

Leg Extensions (rehab)
10x2x12
20x2x12

Wanted to go lighter this stime. Did fast concentrics and slow eccentrics. Both legs shaking on the eccentric when going very slow...

Cooldown
Hip Flexor Stretches
Held all major positions for 30 seconds minimum

Active Flex Work
Pike - 60sec: 25; 20; 15
Straddle - 60 sec: 20; 20; 20

Lots of backwards lean on these but the legs are still shaking as I approach higher times. I will try to focus on leaning forward more in the future as opposed to leaning back...