Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Doug Blankenship

Default Should I Change Anything

I know everyone hates one of these threads but I just want to see what the masses think about my current foods and numbers.

Here is yesterdays according to fitday: Also I eat my meals backwards, dinner, lunch and then breakfast. I work graveyard and that is how I ended up doing it.

Also, I do not eat these same things everday but I get around the same numbers Pro/Cal/Carb/Fat everyday.

First Meal:
4oz Pork Roast
2 Cups Broccoli
1 Hardboiled Egg
1/4 cup of Pecans

Second Meal:
2 Cups of Organic Spinach
1 Hardboiled Egg
1/4 cup of pecans
4oz of Turkey Breast

Third Meal:
2 Cups Broccoli
2 Poached Eggs
1 6oz Can of Tuna In Water
1/4 cup of pecans
10 Green Olives

Three Fish Oil Caps and Organic Flax Seed Caps were taken threw out the night/day.

Snack: 1 Large Apple with 1 1/2 tbs of Almond butter.

Drink: 3 Gallons of water a day <-----Not an accident, I just get thirsty at work.

Stats:
Cals: 1,922
Fat: 106.7
Carb: 79.2
Pro: 152.5

I follow the 3/1 CF Main Page scheduled and have lost over 130 pounds during the last year and a half doing CF and what I feel is a pretty strict Paleo Diet. I'm 28/197lbs/Male/5'11", I would like to get to 185-190lbs if possible.

I haven't lost any bodyfat/weight in about a month, obviously I have some extra skin lying around being that I used to be 329lbs but I still have bodyfat that needs to go. Any opinions or suggestions on how/what I could change to get that going.

I have read all the zone books, CF journals, Paleo Diet books and even though I do weigh and measure all my food I have never done the proper zone routine.

Thanks for the time and suggestions/opinions a head of time.
Doug Blankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Stephen Brown

Congratulations on the weight loss and fitness gain, that's tremendous. I was 305 (I'm 6'2") when I bought my first mountain bike 9 years ago and am down to 198, with the addition of CF and very novice lifting. I'll let more knowledgable folks comment on diet, I'm just real impressed with the results you posted. Well done.
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Fenthis Glusos
This message has been deleted by Fenthis Glusos.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Doug;

Kudos on weight loss.

You've been around the boards a while, you know it's not rocket science, though most still screw it up, BUT, it looks like you have it dialed.

I like your food choices and the Fitday breakdown looks pretty good. So, what to do?

Maybe try some IF'ing, tweak Carbs even lower(your call), I wouldn't go any lower on calories as 2000K for you size seems maybe a tad low.

So why hasn't the weight come off, not sure, but maybe it's time to toss in some extra HIIT stuff, if you have a near death wish, you could always try the V-Diet, start now, finish by Thanksgiving, though after you eat two birds in one day, I'm sure you'll be dead, so maybe V-Diet first of year.

Well, I'm sure you're not going to gleam any nuggets from this lame post, but.......

Be well, Eat Pork when ever you get the chance, lift some heavy shit off the ground, push over head, as they say, go big, then go home. Unless of course you're training at home.

J
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

First question in difficulties in bodyfat reduction:

Are you getting a satisfying 8+ hours of sleep per night?

If not, make that your first priority.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Doug;

Kudos on weight loss.

You've been around the boards a while, you know it's not rocket science, though most still screw it up, BUT, it looks like you have it dialed.

I like your food choices and the Fitday breakdown looks pretty good. So, what to do?

Maybe try some IF'ing, tweak Carbs even lower(your call), I wouldn't go any lower on calories as 2000K for you size seems maybe a tad low.

So why hasn't the weight come off, not sure, but maybe it's time to toss in some extra HIIT stuff, if you have a near death wish, you could always try the V-Diet, start now, finish by Thanksgiving, though after you eat two birds in one day, I'm sure you'll be dead, so maybe V-Diet first of year.

Well, I'm sure you're not going to gleam any nuggets from this lame post, but.......

Be well, Eat Pork when ever you get the chance, lift some heavy shit off the ground, push over head, as they say, go big, then go home. Unless of course you're training at home.

J
Thanks Jay for the reply, like I said I hate asking this question but felt it need to be done. I used to not be able to do some of the O'Lift's and when a CF WOD would come up that was strictly O'Lifts I would do Tabatas instead. The weight kept coming off when I was doing that but then I was questioning my strength level...so I started doing the O'Lifts when they would come up and the weight loss stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
First question in difficulties in bodyfat reduction:

Are you getting a satisfying 8+ hours of sleep per night?

If not, make that your first priority.
Thanks Garrett, I do have a good sleep pattern as I usually get around 7-8 a night. There are days when I have a hard time getting to sleep, my mind is a wild beast and is always racing so I take a Melatonin to help me get to sleep. If usually helps but sometimes it does not.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Doug, I appreciate that this is only one days food so it only gives a brief snapshot of your overall diet but the thing that stands out to me is the lack of variety.
About the only thing nutritionists agree on is that a good diet contains as wide a variety of foods, particularly fruit and vegetables, as possibles so you could improve your diet by replacing two of those portions of pecans with some fruit, berries or vegetables. This would increase the overall bulk of your diet and add some much needed fibre without altering your total calorie intake as plant foods are mostly water and fibre plus the slight increase in carbs will improve your ability to train at higher intensities which will help speed up your fat loss.
Reducing your sodium intake by halving the number of olives you eat would be a good idea too along with looking for tuna in spring water without any added salt as this will help reduce any fluid retention problems you may have, also three gallons of water a day seems excessive so it might be worth getting tested for diabetes as increased thirst is one of the most commonly reported symptoms.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

I didn't take the time to fully read your initial thread completely.

3 gallons of water a day is quite excessive.

My suggestion would be to go talk to your primary care practitioner and get some basic bloodwork done, including a HgA1C, insulin, and a urinalysis.

Read more on the two types of diabetes (mellitus and insipidus) and go to your doctor armed with your own questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Congrats on the weight loss.

I'd echo a concern on what Dr. G said, 3 gallons? What do you do for work?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Thanks guy for the responses, I only work security at a hospital right now but when I'm there I'm always drinking water in fact that is all I drink. I will go threw two gallons at work and close to another when I get home. My job is 90% of nothing but walking around and 10% physical labor nothing major at all.

I have to see the doctor on Monday for a regular check up and will have her do blood work. I will post the results when I get them to see what the heck is going on. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Dr. G, I was able to get a lab sheet and am going in the morning to get the blood work done. My doctor seems to think it might have something to do with me not using salt for the past six months, I don't even own a salt shaker.

As soon as I get the results I will post the numbers.