Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Doug Blankenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Doug, I appreciate that this is only one days food so it only gives a brief snapshot of your overall diet but the thing that stands out to me is the lack of variety.
About the only thing nutritionists agree on is that a good diet contains as wide a variety of foods, particularly fruit and vegetables, as possibles so you could improve your diet by replacing two of those portions of pecans with some fruit, berries or vegetables. This would increase the overall bulk of your diet and add some much needed fibre without altering your total calorie intake as plant foods are mostly water and fibre plus the slight increase in carbs will improve your ability to train at higher intensities which will help speed up your fat loss.
Reducing your sodium intake by halving the number of olives you eat would be a good idea too along with looking for tuna in spring water without any added salt as this will help reduce any fluid retention problems you may have, also three gallons of water a day seems excessive so it might be worth getting tested for diabetes as increased thirst is one of the most commonly reported symptoms.
Darryl thanks for the advice I will tweak it around for a few weeks and see what I can come up with. If I understood correctly I thought that I would need the fat from the pecans and less carbohydrates for fat loss.

I'm basing this on reading Robb Wolfs blog (Older material) about needing good fat at every meal and reading Zone books. Am I misunderstanding it?
Doug Blankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Darryl thanks for the advice I will tweak it around for a few weeks and see what I can come up with. If I understood correctly I thought that I would need the fat from the pecans and less carbohydrates for fat loss.

I'm basing this on reading Robb Wolfs blog (Older material) about needing good fat at every meal and reading Zone books. Am I misunderstanding it?
While it is important to keep blood sugar and insulin levels down and the fats in nuts and seeds can help in achieving that fruit and vegetables play a vital role in your diet in providing fibre, vitamins minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients so in most cases you can, and should in my opinion, eat fruit, berries and non-starchy vegetables in almost unlimited quantities.
People tend to forget what with all the "carbs are evil" nonsense you get on some forums that fruit and non-starchy vegetables are low calorie nutrient dense foods and the carbs they contain have no significant impact on your blood sugar or insulin levels if you're physically active enough to deplete some of your glycogen stores between meals. Also as fruit and non-starchy vegetables are mostly cellulose (fibre) and water it's almost impossible to eat too much due to the relatively small size of your stomach. Think about it, how many apples could you eat in a single sitting before you felt full? Alternately if you had a bag of oranges in front of right now would you sit and munch your way through the whole bag or would you eat one or maybe two and feel satisfied?
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #13
Doug Blankenship

Quote:
While it is important to keep blood sugar and insulin levels down and the fats in nuts and seeds can help in achieving that fruit and vegetables play a vital role in your diet in providing fibre, vitamins minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients so in most cases you can, and should in my opinion, eat fruit, berries and non-starchy vegetables in almost unlimited quantities.
People tend to forget what with all the "carbs are evil" nonsense you get on some forums that fruit and non-starchy vegetables are low calorie nutrient dense foods and the carbs they contain have no significant impact on your blood sugar or insulin levels if you're physically active enough to deplete some of your glycogen stores between meals. Also as fruit and non-starchy vegetables are mostly cellulose (fibre) and water it's almost impossible to eat too much due to the relatively small size of your stomach. Think about it, how many apples could you eat in a single sitting before you felt full? Alternately if you had a bag of oranges in front of right now would you sit and munch your way through the whole bag or would you eat one or maybe two and feel satisfied?
That does make sense, I will supplement some berries in there instead of the pecans (On a few meals) for a few weeks to month and see how it unfolds. Thanks for that reply.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
Gittit Shwartz

Quote:
[ ... ] fruit and non-starchy vegetables are low calorie nutrient dense foods and the carbs they contain have no significant impact on your blood sugar or insulin levels if you're physically active enough to deplete some of your glycogen stores between meals [ ... ]
Darryl, from this and your previous posts you are obviously a highly "carb-tolerant" individual, but this is not the case for (arguably) the majority of people. Especially for someone who was formerly overweight, more carbs and less fat seems unlikely to be the solution.

Doug, I recently broke a fat loss plateau by UPPING my fat intake.

That said, as someone who does NOT do well with carbs, I find I can manage 1/3-1/2 cup of berries with an otherwise low carb/high fat meal, so +1 for Darryl's recommendation of more variety in your diet.

G
Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
Doug Blankenship

I'm very carb sensitive, that's why it struck me odd that Darryl said add more fruit. Vareity is not a problem, I just want to shed the small bit of fat I have left. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

I got my blood drawen a few hours ago so by Wednesday I should have some numbers.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
Fenthis Glusos

Both the healthiest and least healthiest foods in the world pack lots of carbs -- choose wisely (fruit and veg) and it doesn't really matter....don't get all caught up in fat people hysteria...I think they got fat not because of fruit but from overeating overly-refined carbs like those found in cakes and pastries, among others of society's dregs. Now their bodies are less tolerant to carbs but it is because of their (previously) bad dietary habits - and now all of a sudden FRUIT is the enemy. haha. For fat people who've fucked their hormones, 2-3 fruits it is. Other people can enjoy some more if they'd like.

carb-tolerance does go down with age, but fruit is not the problem, a lot of essential nutrients your body needs to be effective in health and fat-burning can be found in them.

Continue doing as you're doing but maybe supplement the pecans with the blueberries -- forget about the calories for once and let your body take care of itself.

Kinda strange that you're eating pecans though, usually hear of most people eating almonds although I prefer walnuts, peanuts, cashews (paleo shmaleo) to them. I might need to buy some pecans as you've inspired me, good sir!

If fruit was really the problem you'd see all fat people on the 80-10-10 diet (80% fruit with some leafy greens, 10 fat and protein)...but that isn't the case. Not saying that the diet is ideal (I don't believe eating almost entirely of one thing is such a good idea) but it teaches you something.

besides fruit can really save a diet because you just don't crave the junk when you know you'll be eating some nice fruit after your warm meal. It really seals the deal and satisfies both the mind and the body. For me at least.

You just got to find a food that really satisfies you in the end, something nutritious that can be rendered into a dessert, so to speak -- for some people that is fruit, for others it is pork fat, regardless, both > refined foods. This keeps you from 'cheating' and helps you get through the day.
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittit Shwartz View Post
Darryl, from this and your previous posts you are obviously a highly "carb-tolerant" individual, but this is not the case for (arguably) the majority of people. Especially for someone who was formerly overweight, more carbs and less fat seems unlikely to be the solution.
Agreed!!! Larger people should not be focusing on getting plenty of carbs for the most part, while some may be tolerable.....they need to reverse things like insulin resistance and get weight loss first. It's like telling overweight people to "only" do tabata for 5 min and no cardio...it doesn't work!

Carb cycling of some sort is the most effective way in my book....carbs are NOT evil.....but you need to be in an oxidative mode to burn fat. Fruit is not the source of the issue, but giving someone a license to eat as much as they want can stall real progress (unless one really has control of what they are eating and are not overdoing carb intake). Carbs are more important if you think on eating enough to keep your brain/energy levels going and also fuel more explosive/resistance work. I am not low carb by any means...I need them, I like them...but then again I am lean and very active, not like my average client.

Also take a day off....enjoy eating...eat up.....keep your metabolism guessing on what is going on....don't let it adapt to anything. All zone progress usually stalls...then it is time to take it to the next level.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 10-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
Doug Blankenship

Fenthis, I don't know where I got the pecans idea I read it in a book zone, paleo or on Robb Wolfs site can't recall the exact location. Something about the balance being close to the same as walnuts.

I have pounds of raw walnuts and pecans around the house, I mix them up.

MOD, I'm still in the (I want to lean out stage) and still need to lose weight so I try to limit fruit consumption just to keep calories down and carbs. Also, regarding cheat days, I take one day a month and eat whatever I want.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #19
Fenthis Glusos

Quote:
Fenthis, I don't know where I got the pecans idea I read it in a book zone, paleo or on Robb Wolfs site can't recall the exact location. Something about the balance being close to the same as walnuts.

I have pounds of raw walnuts and pecans around the house, I mix them up.

MOD, I'm still in the (I want to lean out stage) and still need to lose weight so I try to limit fruit consumption just to keep calories down and carbs. Also, regarding cheat days, I take one day a month and eat whatever I want.
I think the issue with me is that since I love fruit so much, I just assume people are depriving themselves of it when they limit its consumption...but of course that is silly because we all have different tastes... haha

I'll be buying some bulk raw pecans soon and probably eat them with some dates for a nice snack but damn, already today I had a few very large handfuls of cashews and will probably indulge in some more later on. Maybe I am craving some copper or some more fat possibly, I don't know but cashews are killer. I did an intense exercise this morning making me feel a bit jittery...MORE CASHEWS

I'm going to have to load up on garlic next week when halloween hits and I get inundated with candy stuff....it offsets the sugar and anerobic bacteria (anerobic bacteria feed on an acidic diet, sugar for one thing). Maybe then I will scale down my fruit consumption for a while.

Then to offset the hydrogen sulfide smell, it is chickpeas and greens (high saponin content, good for getting rid of the rotten egg aroma).
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Depending on how low you are daily....you may be able to do that once every 7-10days and still be able to see progress. Too low too much, or doing the same thing every day will just stall eventually. Add more variety and try a few days of lower carbs and then up them once in a while (whole foods of course, try to avoid sugar). Variety is good, keep the body guessing and adapting. That and make your eating reflect training needs/recovery.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 10-26-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote