Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #51
Brandon Oto

I've been wanting to do some dot drills, but I can't think of a good way to arrange it without painting the ground or something. I don't want to buy a mat.
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #52
Emily Mattes

I took athletic tape and put it on the ground of the gym where I work out. It's three platforms in a converted racquetball court--neither my coaches nor the gym the court belongs to cares, so I'm lucky.

Dynamic stretching
Dot drill
3x (2 shrugs + tall snatch, 6 Sots presses) with kiddie bar

Drop snatch: 25x3
Snatch: 25x3x2
Snatch + 10s hold at bottom: 35x1x3

C&J: 35x3x2, 48x1x3

RDLs (snatch grip): 45x4x2, 47.5x3x2, 50x3

No metcon, shoulder bothering me. Should get back to doing rehab/prehab stuff.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #53
Brandon Oto

Tape's a nice idea. Might try that. About how big is the "box" supposed to be?
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #54
Emily Mattes

In the article it says 2'' by 3'', with the dots placed at each corner and one directly in the middle.

-----------------

Meet/workout today - basically, do single reps of snatches and clean and jerks with rest in between until you couldn't do any more weight. I did pretty terribly, I'm still crippling my lifts by habitually catching them in the power position rather than the squat, and my speed remains like molasses. I could tell my coach was getting frustrated, and she says she's going to be writing a program for me instead of me just doing the CA WODs--she says I need something more specialized. That is a nice way of saying "a remedial lifting program." Medium weight with lots of volume, focusing on technique.

I'm not a natural athlete in any sense so it takes me about two or three times as long as most other people to learn movements, and I don't respond to cues as well as other lifters. It makes things difficult for all involved.

Well, I'll likely be attending Greg's seminar in DC come January, so if I'm not any better by then he'll be meeting his greatest challenge yet!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #55
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Well, I'll likely be attending Greg's seminar in DC come January, so if I'm not any better by then he'll be meeting his greatest challenge yet!
I'm doing a session with him in January, and I've probably got you beat for challenge. I've raised my snatch 15lbs in 8 months, and since I'm still doing less than 3/4 my bw....
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #56
Emily Mattes

2008.12.07 REST

Dynamic stretching
Dot drill
Bunch of technique work - scarecrow cleans, tall cleans, cleans off of boxes, straight-legged deadlifts, split jerk work. Nothing higher than 40, just a lot of volume. I am bound and determined to get things right, dammit.

Those straight-legged deadlifts, though, man. I didn't realize that my hamstring flexibility was that bad, and those really do a number on your legs.

Also, did some front squats with my heels blocked (in addition to the weightlifting shoes) and I really, really, really need to get my ankle stretched. Coach figured I could get a significant PR just by blocking my heels. It was the first time I'd ever felt my core worked during the front squat, because I was finally upright enough that I didn't immediately fall forward once I hit the limits of my ankle flexibility.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #57
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
2008.12.07 REST

Those straight-legged deadlifts, though, man. I didn't realize that my hamstring flexibility was that bad, and those really do a number on your legs.
Oh man..I definitely feel you on that....and I have full splits in all 3 directions lol

I did RDL (not SLDL but close..) the other week for the first time since I have to avoid deep knee flexion with my knee and I figured it would be a good posterior chain workout...

OMG...

Definitely hits those hammies and glutes. I love it because I have a glute activation problem...but it makes the glutes/hammies SORE AS HELL :P
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #58
Emily Mattes

For various reasons couldn't make it to my regular gym, so I had to use my school's crappy gym. No squat racks, no platforms, no deadlifts or any powerlifting or Olympic lifting allowed. So, workout was easy and limited today.

Dynamic stretching
Olympic lifting
Drilled scarecrow cleans and snatches, tall snatches with 20# bar

4 sets of [3x (2 shrugs + tall snatch), 6 Sots presses] with 20# bar

Body rows: 3x10

Metcon - 4:49.91
3 rounds of
10 55# dumbbell swings
10 dumbbell push presses, 35#/arm

--------

Also, today got another reminder of why I do all this. I'm part of Big Brothers/Big Sisters, and took my LB to a holiday party at the local football stadium. At one point, I ran from one end of the field to the other, scooping him up directly in the middle to charge the rest of the way without breaking stride and "touchdown" on the other end. I surprised myself with how easy it was, and I don't know if two years ago, before I started getting into fitness, I would have been able to do that with a fifth-grader. Ultimately, that's what my fitness goals are centered on: Being able to roughhouse and play and do the kinds of things that make life worth living. Numbers only matter is as much they reflect that.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #59
Emily Mattes

Dynamic stretching
Dot drill
Sots presses with kiddie bar
Snatch work with coach, kiddie bar-31kg - tall snatch, snatch balance, snatch off of blocks (knee height) (whole lot of snatch off blocks)

Single-Leg Deadlifts: 25x5, 35x5x3

FS (heels blocked): 35x5x2, 39x5, 48x3, 56x2, 61, 66, 70, 72.5, 75(f), 75

So, this week we discovered by blocking my heels even further my front squat position is perfect, and I added 6kg to it. I need like five degrees of ankle flexibility.

Also, coaches adjusted my squat position after I front squatted--I'm going to try catching and squatting even wider now. It feels a lot more stable.

Metcon - 8:17.62
3 rounds of
10 TGUs, 45# (used dumbbell, held it on my shoulder like a sandbag)
10 box jumps, 22'' box jumps
Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #60
Chris Salvato

grats on troubleshooting your problem! Now time to stretch those damn ankles :P
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote