Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
Brian Shanks

My grandson lives with us and my daughter has kept him almost 95% paleo. The pediatrician recommend around 6 months that she start adding rice and oatmeal. We discussed it and I convinced her to stay away from it. He will turn one years old this month. She still breast feds twice a day and the rest is supplemented with fruits, veggies, eggs, and meats. We introduced slowly and have had no problems what so ever. He is a hardy eater sucking down two eggs cooked in coconut oil every morning. We will usually cook up extra turkey, chicken, hamburger for him to eat at lunch and supper. We do use some canned veggies, only because my daughter is a little lazy and doesn't want to cook up veggies ahead of time, but they are the organic ones.

He has been sleeping through the night now for the last 4 months. That is usually one of the reason parents like to give the cereal.

Cheers

Brian
Brian Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
Jamila Bey

Default I HEART my hubby!

I also heart the folks on this list.

I had a long tete a tete with Hubby and he's totally on board with me being the determiner of what our wee one consumes. He's on board with my exclusive nursing (I HATE the "breastfeeding" term) until a year.

Since the boy does not sleep through the night, nor do I really care- (the blessing of being a freelancer who works from home!) I'm not inclined to zonk him out with cereal. I am also one of those evil co-sleepers who permits the baby to nurse and fall asleep in bed with me/us each evening...

I just got a cookbook of 1001 gluten free recipes since that's gonna spark the ol imagination. I'm just getting my planning in line so that when it's time, I can hop into the food thing with some confidence... or as close to confidence as I can muster.

So, I am gonna go see the local doc Dr. G recommended for me, and I'm also making the decision to avoid grains for my little one.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Jamila,
I'm glad you're going to see Dr. Hayduk. One of the highlights of my year is getting to visit with her at our national convention. Tell her I sent you.

FWIW, little Taryn is already sleeping through the night. Here's what we have found works:
1 - White noise machine (set on "rain")
2 - ~5oz. bottle of breastmilk before bed (long story, but it guarantees she has a full belly)
3 - Swaddling (I'm the assigned "master swaddler")
4 - If it is all you do, read and follow the chapter on sleeping/bedtime in "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer". We just started this process two days ago, and already Taryn is falling asleep at bedtime in <10 minutes.

Cori will decide, based on me working outside the home, what Taryn eats on a regular basis. All I'm working on doing is convincing her that all the grains the books & peds recommend are optional, not necessary, and most likely harmful.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Craig Loizides

I just read an interesting passage in "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers". It says that the Kalahari Bushmen will nurse for 1 or 2 minutes every 15 minutes or so around the clock for about 3 years. The child is carried in a sling on the mother's hip so it can nurse frequently and sleeps near his mother and will nurse every so often without even waking her. When the child can walk he'll come running in every hour or so to nurse. The author also claims that breast feeding in this manner prevents ovulation due to its effect on prolactin levels. The average hunter gatherer woman may have only 2 dozen periods in her life.
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Jamila,
I'm glad you're going to see Dr. Hayduk. One of the highlights of my year is getting to visit with her at our national convention. Tell her I sent you.

FWIW, little Taryn is already sleeping through the night. Here's what we have found works:
1 - White noise machine (set on "rain")
2 - ~5oz. bottle of breastmilk before bed (long story, but it guarantees she has a full belly)
3 - Swaddling (I'm the assigned "master swaddler")
4 - If it is all you do, read and follow the chapter on sleeping/bedtime in "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer". We just started this process two days ago, and already Taryn is falling asleep at bedtime in <10 minutes.

Cori will decide, based on me working outside the home, what Taryn eats on a regular basis. All I'm working on doing is convincing her that all the grains the books & peds recommend are optional, not necessary, and most likely harmful.
No need to alarm, but many babies sleep thru the night early on. Then when teething hits, those peaceful evenings fly out the window!! Just be warned that everything is possible!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Susie Rosenberg

Also, be mindful that nursing is not a reliable means of birth control. You can conceive even before a first resumed period if you catch your first ovulation.

Both my kids nursed exclusively for almost a full year, and my second, an avid nurser, didn't wean off night nursing until he was 2 1/2 years old. (I thought I would be nursing that one in high school.)

It's a deep pleasure that you will never forget. I have very demented women patients in nursing homes who clasp soft, lifelike baby dolls to their breasts, rock and doze. It's soothing to them, as if even the memory releases oxytocin, the so-called "love hormone."

Susie
Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #17
sarena kopciel

RICE--
http://www.babycenter.com/204_rice-c...2&pe=2U uyXrt

And doctors still recommend rice as a first food!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
Jamila Bey

Default I fed the baby!

So there went my plans for exclusive breastfeeding for a year.

The boy was grabbing at our plates (he was in my lap during dinner) and crying. He wouldn't take my breast, and it was OBVIOUS that he was hungry. I scraped some organic pear with my spoon and gave him a taste and the kid was HOOKED. He probably ate three or four tablespoons of the pear and was quite happy about it. So I certainly plan on nursing as close to exclusively for the first year, it seems I have a young foodie on my hands.

Part of me feels badly 'cause I said I would nurse exclusively, but I'm not hurting him by feeding him pear and in a week or so, avacado or kale. I shouldn't be surprised that he's demanding food- my mom says I weaned completely by about 10 months and I was the only one of four who didn't nurse at least 14 months. (Then there was my youngest sister, little Miss day before kindgergarten nurser, but that's for another thread.)
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #19
sarena kopciel

Just saw a link to this somewhere and it looks awesome for those times when you cant cook up fresh!
http://www.bellababyfoods.com/
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #20
sarena kopciel

just saw this and its scary!!
http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=513...ort.com&cid=48