Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Jonathan Dunn

Default Grip and Forearm increases?

I've been doing the PM WOD since 18 August 2008 and am loving it. I am getting better with the O Lifts and stronger, but not where i want to be. So the other night i was putting on a watch and noticed that i had moved up a hole to fit properly. The gym owner where i train commented on my forearms and extensor/ flexor development. All i have been doing is the WOD, with some additional calf work. But i have noticed an increase in grip strength and forearm development. Is this caused by the constant load on all the exercises finally showing in some much needed development in some weaker areas? I also notice less fatigue while doing pullups and chins. Again, is this an indirect benefit of all the pulls and chins? Also, do tendons and ligaments grow similarly to muscles, or do they just "get thicker"? Either way, it is a very cool side benefit from all the great programming that is put in here (Thanks Coach!).

Now, when do skinny calves start growing from the box jumps?
Jonathan Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Kevin Perry

Well your body is responding to the stress placed on it and it's growing as a result.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Calves you say. Interestingly enough that was one of the firs things that I noticed changing on me after I started following Greg's programming.

Nice to see the results of your hard work. We all make talk about functional fitness but it sure is nice for someone else to be able to see the results on the outside.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Dunn View Post
I've been doing the PM WOD since 18 August 2008 and am loving it. I am getting better with the O Lifts and stronger, but not where i want to be.
The weak areas are shoring up first. These (forearms/grip) have to be up to speed to improve at the lifts and get stronger.

Quote:
So the other night i was putting on a watch and noticed that i had moved up a hole to fit properly.
Weird. Do you wear your watch on your forearm or have your wrists actually grown?

Quote:
Now, when do skinny calves start growing from the box jumps?
Not necessary. If you're snatching and cleaning properly, you're doing weighted jumps in the proper set/rep range. Excessive box jumps will be counterproductive, if anything.

Congrats on your progress.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

A lot of barbell and pulling work your forearms will grow... although it could also signify poor technique in some cases.

Tendons like the muscles they attach to get stronger.. ligaments not so much though but maybe a little.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Jonathan Dunn

Kevin- I'm all about some adaptive stress. That which does not kill me.....

Derek - Thanks! It is cool to see (both myself and others) the changes taking place. My traps are growing too, but I expected that, after reading through so many forums. It is neat to actually see growth when not specifically trying to add mass. I'm quit content with my BW (198# @ 6'2"). Maybe my body composition is changing some?

Gant - Thanks to you as well! Both my wrists and forearms have had increases in girth (not much, but enough to go up a notch with my watch). I've noticed most growth in the thin muscle running laterally from elbow to wrist on the outside of the forearm. Also, a small muscle on the back of my hand running down into my wrist is growing. I believe this is a result of my hand position while snatching, i.e. hand moving from a flexed position in the pulls to an extended position overhead. Regarding the calves...they are developed, just thin. Again, I'm not after increasing my BW, but a little more meat back there would be nice. My wife has OUTSTANDING calves, and she doesn't lift, run, exercise, wear high heels...nothing. But they are phenomenal. Her brothers calves are huge as well.

Steven - thanks for the info on tendons and ligaments. I think you nailed my forearm growth possibly coming from less than stellar technique. I have only been practicing the O lifts for 3 months, and while I'm getting better, I still have a long way to go. I think I bend my arms too early as the weights increase. But it is so much FUN! I love this stuff.

Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions. I really do appreciate any and all advice!
Jonathan Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote