Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
Blair Lowe

Default Using chlorella, wheatgrass, algae as sub for fish oil

I was wondering if anybody had any idea of how much chlorella, wheatgrass, or blue-green algae would have to be ingested to equal the amount of EPA/DHA in fish oil.

I've read before that is where the EPA/DHA comes from in fish oil and it's also probably where it comes from in grass fed meat and eggs in the grasses ( besides bugs ).

I've yet to try wheatgrass juice but I caught myself staring at it in the store in one of those lil bunches that you can grow at home tonight ( or attempt to maintain ).

Thoughts? I've taken chlorella or blue-green algae and some other green foods and besides disgusting my roomates haven't seen or had any issues with them. It makes for some flavorful concoctions but perhaps I just don't mind it ( especially when mixed with pureed fruits or veggies ). Actually blended veggies tend to have a much sharper taste anyways.

I've been meaning to get these green superfoods back in me. I've been trying to eat my veggies being red and romaine lettuce, spinach, brocolli/cauliflower, celery and carrots, green peas. Well, that's about it besides cilantro and onions. I haven't ventured into many other vegetables just cause it's daunting enough to just eat these.

I did find these Omega 3 algae caps and they looked pretty expensive considering how much EPA/DHA is in 3 caps ( 270mg DHA/75mg EPA ).
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

No idea. Honstly, the best place for this question would likely be a vegan forum.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Blair Lowe

Thanks, Dr. G. Guess I will go snoop one out.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
Donald Lee

I've taken chorella for years. I am not sure, but I think chlorella became popular from the Japanese. At least, that's what I heard from my mom. Personally, I find chlorella to be too expensive.

I like krill oil for my Omega-3's. I heard about it on the radio, and Dr. Mercola's advertising on it was irresistable to me. It was also a lot cheaper than fish oil when bought in bulk from Mercola's website. Another plus is that you only need to take 2 capsules a day, versus a crapload of capsules for fish oil.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
Tony Ferous

But 2 caps only provides 240mg of dha+epa though....doses of 1-5g are pretty usual rounds these parts.
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Donald Lee

You're right. Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have thoughts on krill oil's omega-3's coming in the form of phospholipids vs. fish oil's omega-3's coming in the form of triglycerides?
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ferous View Post
But 2 caps only provides 240mg of dha+epa though....doses of 1-5g are pretty usual rounds these parts.
3600mg of EPA+DHA a day here.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote