Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Chris H Laing

Default can anyone explain this???

http://www.criticalbench.com/bulgari...ghtlifting.htm

First of all just check out that article. Its pretty interesting to see the kind of training olympic caliber athletes do.

And now on to the reason for this post: What is the MTR (found at the end of the article)? It kind of explains how to use it in the context of the workouts, but I am having a hard time understanding how you determine what your MTR is for each lift, and the A-B-B-C-A progression part.

It seems to me that one Day A, you do the day A workout, and on Day B you do Day A and Day B? And on Day C you do all 3 days? To me, and I could be completely off base here as I have little oly lifting experience, it seems like Day B would have an exhausting amount of volume, and Day C could possibly kill you.

Also, I know that the CA wod uses Bulgarian cycles, but I am failing to see the connection between what is in the article and what is done in the CA wods. Wouldn't the Bulgarian method lose its effectiveness if the athlete is not progressing to multiple sessions in a day, or adding days per week?

Can anyone explain all this to me?

(sorry for the massive amount of questions)
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

He gave examples:

Quote:
"A" Week: Predicted MTR -20kilos for 2 reps, Pred. MTR -10 kilos for a single, MTR for 3-4 singles.

"B" Week: Perform A week progression, followed by MTR -10 kilos for a double, MTR -5 kilos for a single, and then MTR +5 kilos for 2-4 singles.

"C" Week: Entire B week progression performed, followed by a double with MTR -20 kilos, another double with MTR -10 kilos, and finally 3-4 more singles with MTR plus 5 or 7.5 kilos.

So, if you were doing a simple A-B-B-C-A progression over 5 weeks, and you found that your snatch MTR was 100 on the first Monday, for the next 5 weeks your Monday snatch workouts might be as follows:

Week 1: 80/2, 90, 100 (3-4)

Week 2: 80/2, 90, 100 (3), 90/2, 95, 105 (2-4)

Week 3: 80/2, 90, 100 (3), 90/2, 95, 105 (2-4)

Week 4: 80/2, 90, 100 (3), 90/2, 95, 105 (3), 80/2, 90/2, 105 (2), 107.5 (2)

Week 5: 80/2, 90, 100 (3-4)
A-B-B-C-A or A-B-B-C-C-A are the weeks in the cycle. I believe the last "A" counts as a backoff week since the volume is significantly lower (and conditioning level should be up enough) that you can recover well from the BBC or BBCC.

Quote:
Wouldn't the Bulgarian method lose its effectiveness if the athlete is not progressing to multiple sessions in a day, or adding days per week?
No. It's not about adding the sessions and days.. and then more sessions.. even though that is the case. It's adding all that in SO you can lift heavier weight. If you can progress faster adding weight to the bar (which is generally the case with very high frequency), then you're gonna be succeeding.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
A-B-B-C-A or A-B-B-C-C-A are the weeks in the cycle. I believe the last "A" counts as a backoff week since the volume is significantly lower (and conditioning level should be up enough) that you can recover well from the BBC or BBCC.
Gotcha just wanted to be sure.

Quote:
No. It's not about adding the sessions and days.. and then more sessions.. even though that is the case. It's adding all that in SO you can lift heavier weight. If you can progress faster adding weight to the bar (which is generally the case with very high frequency), then you're gonna be succeeding.
But, if you don't add the extra sessions, doesn't that make it not the Bulgarian method? So, technically, are the CA wod Bulgarian cycles not Bulgarian? I'm still failing to see the connection.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Philip Stablein

Only some CA WOD cycles are Bulgarian.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Stablein View Post
Only some CA WOD cycles are Bulgarian.
Obviously...but why are they called Bulgarian Cycles if they aren't modeled after the Bulgarian method of increasing sessions per day and workout days?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
Gavin Harrison

Chris,

The Bulgarian method is not increasing the frequency of your training. Actually, that's only the point of the article.. most people would be completely crushed after only a handful if not fewer days training with near maximal weights several times a day. The article just provides one way to work up to such an intense schedule.

Most people should not attempt true bulgarian style training, it leaves you run down in all regards and injury prone..

Do some more digging into the method if you want to know more about it (you're way off base at the moment, the method is basically ridiculously high intensity, 100% of the time, at very low volume, very very (very..) high frequency), but it's not practical for almost everyone.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
Chris H Laing

Thanks Gavin, I guess Ill do some more research.

And just to make sure, the Bulgarian cycles of the CA wod are called Bulgarian because they are high frequency, high intensity, and low volume?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
Gavin Harrison

Yes, also I forgot.. Bulgarians do little else than snatch, clean, jerk and squat. It's very specific training. In the CA WODs, strength cycles are higher volume and more variety, the bulgarian cycles are the lower volume and almost no variety.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote