Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Josh Whiting

Default Something you can not prove!

T-Nation have an upcoming article that is based around the following:

TC asks eight strength coaches one question: "What do you believe to be true, even though you can't prove it?" Freed of the shackles of scientific references, our coaches came up with some interesting and maybe even groundbreaking assertions. Their answers may surprise you!

This is the link: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1395204

What would your thing (or things) be?
Josh Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Do you mean in general or exercise related?

General:

1.) There are minds other than my own.

2.) There is an external world.

3.) I didn't come into existance 10 seconds ago.

Exercise:

What does he mean by "can't prove." I could have all the evidence in the world for something but if people refuse to listen to it then I am unable to prove it in a sense. But if proof in this case is just scientific references, then that will be a lot of things that can't be proven since exercise science is very incomplete according to what we know through experience. That said, there shouldn't be anything for exercise that can't be proven by experience. If you can't prove something for exercise by experience then you are holding that belief irrationally.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Hmmmmmmmm, hard to say what you can't prove...but I'll throw in my $0.02

- If you get your internal health and gut working at 100% your fitness performance will skyrocket reguardless of what training you do.

- Nutrition is 95% of your results

- We own no thoughts in this life, as they all belong to the bigger lifeforce of what life is...we are just open enough by quieting our own ego (need to own things) to hear them and transmit them through us (deep!)

- The body is capable of healing itself from any disease (of course this doesn't take into account what length you have to go through.....like a 3 week vegetable juice fast to heal something....but I believe it is always possible on some level)

- Science and Technology is doing us more harm that good in the overall human evolutionary scheme (may be 1000 years before it comes evident)

- Mandatory Fish Oil and No sugar to all kids will make them smarter, less violent, and will better off humanity in 30 years.

- No one needs Flu shots and vaccines if they lead of life of prevention.

- Our bodies are capable of living to be 150, just not possible it todays destructive environment (poor food quality, toxins, stress, lack of sleep, etc...)
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Robb Wolf

That looks like it will be good. Mike and Neal: Youz guyz are too smart for your own good!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

Mike, why can't you prove those things?

I disagree with #3, but let's not get into it here. I also disagree with #4 and #7. Some germs are just too powerful for the body. Look at what happened to the Native Americans, even those who were still hunter-gatherers, when europeans brought over their diseases. I also might disagree with #2, as it will at least depend on how old you are. Teenagers can eat all the junk they want and get great results.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

1. I belive that we are all just consciousnesses bumping together in some kind of "soul soup" independent of this dimension, and that the physical world is a manifestation from a higher order of conciousness part of, but not entirely the same as, the afore mentioned aqueous mass of energy.

2. And that Dan Silver might just be the Messiah (or at least a prophet).

ahem,

WWDSD?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
Mike, why can't you prove those things? .
Hard to prove you would be healthier if you did something.....unless you went back in time and did it differently to compare results. Since each of us is a completely different on the cellular level, then how does one really know until the very end? Most is just based on a positive outlook....as I am not going to hide and fear anything out there, except for snakes and riverdancing....god forbid a snake that can riverdance.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

LOL, this has to be one of the best conversations I've read on this entire forum. Not to mention the riverdancing snake bit.

Lord help us all if that ever happens I agree.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Neal Winkler

Mike, I see some pretty simple ways one could prove some of those things. Besides, even if you can't prove them, why would you believe them? That's irrational.

Is it irrational for me to believe in an exernal world? Perhaps. If so, does that give us free reign to believe ANYTHING we want for no reason what so ever? If not, why is that particular propostion exempt from needing justification for rational belief? Do the various propositions that you listed fall into this same category? If so, why?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Steve Shafley

Neal, your argument is weak for this reason:

If you really disbelieved, you wouldn't be here or even having this hallucination.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote