Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #21
Mike ODonnell

This whole thread was based on beliefs that can not be proven....so keep that in mind. I never intended to back up anything I said with proof, that wasn't the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
I think the body can heal and prevent a great many illnesses, but to say ALL is bit much, and you admit that your belief that it can is irrational.
The body has healing potential possilbly more than anyone will ever find out because we are not able to maximize it for whatever reason. Are there people in the Alps curing early stages of cancer with juice fasting and rest for months? Maybe...I've heard the stories but I can't prove it. Can someone cure bad eyesight with deep breathing and ZMA? I'll guess no. To say all is a bit much, but it's a basis for a good outlook on having control of health. Maybe I should of said "most common diseases that are not life threatening".

As far as "what is a disease", medicine terms a disease to a set list of symptoms and conditions. So if you no longer have those symptoms and conditions do you still have a disease? This is where I think medicine does a disservice. As soon as someone hears they have a "disease" then they lose hope of good health, feeling it is never going to go away. However if you told people you have say "inflammation" rather than arthritis, can we treat and remove/control inflammation? Sure. Anyways...side rant.

Quote:
If a belief is irrational, then you shouldn't hold the belief. I'm not saying that your are dumb Mike, but to admit that you hold an irrational belief and not change it is basically admitting that your dumb.
I've pretty much spent alot of revisions on how to comment on this......but it comes down to my belief system may not agree to your predetermined rational approach to the subject. That is ok. You hear disease and think "Cancer" or "Aids" and I may have been thinking more along the lines of "Arthritis" or some lesser degree of illness. However to see the body heal at a small level, I can still believe that "maybe it is possible" to heal at the larger level. Now if you want specific answers you have to ask specific questions. As we learned we both agree Germs have a hand in sickness, but the degree of which can be debated. Now same goes for illness. What degree is actually healable? That is the million dollar question that as far as I know, no one has the answer. Would I tell a cancer patient to not go see a doctor and go drink my brand of sunshine and lollipops? Hell no. (and please note....I may have added a little sarcasm in saying all my beliefs are irrational...I have that personality trait). Can I give an arthritis patient hope in healing that they do not get from their doctors? Sure, I do that every day. I don't tell them to stop taking pain medication, but I tell them that we have a chance to reduce and control inflammation. So is that still dumb? Am I still irrational?

If so....then this is the point in hockey where we throw down gloves and let the haymakers fly for 30 sec....and then drink beers together after with missing teeth and black eyes.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #22
Scott Kustes

This forum doesn't exist. Someone prove me wrong.

I'm surprised we haven't gone religious with this one yet.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #23
Mike ODonnell

I vowed to not use it as it has no place on a fitness forum in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
Robb Wolf

Wow! Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue!

Anyone know the movie that's from?

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #25
Russell Greene

I think that the main reason that ME work improves Crossfit workouts for most people who are used to following the WOD's is form improvement. Pure weightlifting workouts with long rest periods allow one to focus on form. Better form -> more efficiency -> less metabolic cost of CF workouts -> improved fitness. I think that the reason that Glassman did not anticipate the need for as much ME work in the WOD as exists today is that he was basing his programming off of the results he had achieved with his athletes, who he was coaching. Having talked with those athletes whom he coached personally on a regular basis, they would do a 5-15 minute really intense metcon workout every day, but spend much more time than that, as much as an hour, drilling form on gymnastics and weightlifting. For example they might spend 30 minutes working on squat snatches, do Fran, and then spend the rest of the time drilling handstands. Compare that to the average person who does the WOD on his own. He will do the CF warm up, which is nothing compared to the skill and form work an athlete training with Glassman would do, and then do the WOD. His quantity of skill work is much less, made worse by the fact that his understanding of biomechanics is probably elementary, meaning that he is unable to achieve virtuosity in the basic movements. Even if he does know everything there is to know about form, he has to train himself, meaning that there is no one to give him feedback. ME workouts give him time to really focus on form without the pressure of a timed workout.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #26
Steve Shafley

Uh, no.

How appropriate this is in the "something you know is true but can't prove" Russ.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #27
Mike ODonnell

I think that was meant for the "CF Total" thread....but in my current world perception, that no longer exists...so this is a good place for it.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #28
Russell Greene

This was meant for this thread. If you disagree, why? It is just a hypothesis of mine.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #29
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post

I dunno, but I definitely picked the wrong day to quit methamphetamines.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #30
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post

Airplane!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote