Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
ErikHutson

Default MEBB for the Army?

hey guys I just started to crossfit and work out again after some things came up that delayed me last month from going all out, but anyways I have decided to go back into the Military and was wanting to do some black box training to specialize for the Army PFT.

I'm new to both crossfit and MEBB so I'm not sure how I would go about making a MEBB routine based off 5/2 set up with the ME based off the PFT the Army holds which consist of running, pushups, situps...

Now the only thing I want to work on in the ME days would be the pushups as I can use the metcon days for the situps and running but for the ME days would I just do pushups? Or any type of push exercise....just not sure how to scale ME days and havent really found any articles that explain it well without having to pay for it.
ErikHutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Uh, you should get the PMenu journal with the MEBB article... sounds like you really don't know much about programming at all.

A couple of ME lifts per day + pushups would be fine though.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

What is your current fitness level in terms of the PFT? There are people that can get away with very little running and still get a great run time. I'm not one of them. The pushups I can typically get away with not trianing specifically and still hit 90+ points, the situp if I don't train specifically I can hit the 70-80 point range, but even with training I still have only managed as high as 90 points.

What is your current strenght level?

What is your proficieny with the O-lifts?

What is your timeframe for reenlisting?

A link to a newer MEBB article to get you started:
http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...ty&shortyID=39

Unless you are going to be doing very very heavy weighted pushups those would not be a good substitute for a pushing exercise. Perhaps tabata pushups at the end of an upper body ME focused day? What is your schedule like? How many days a week are you able to do currently?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
ErikHutson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Uh, you should get the PMenu journal with the MEBB article... sounds like you really don't know much about programming at all.

A couple of ME lifts per day + pushups would be fine though.
Exactly! thats why I wanted advice, as far as programming CF to work with ME I'm clueless, I dont want to overtrain and want maximum results of course

Quote:
What is your current fitness level in terms of the PFT? There are people that can get away with very little running and still get a great run time. I'm not one of them. The pushups I can typically get away with not trianing specifically and still hit 90+ points, the situp if I don't train specifically I can hit the 70-80 point range, but even with training I still have only managed as high as 90 points.
The running, if I was to do other things other then run 2 miles, I could get away with it, ie...sprints, short runs tied with body squats ect... I can normally shave minutes within a months time frame so the running I'm not to concerned with until maybe 60 days until I ship. I do however need to focus on the pushups and situps.

Quote:
What is your current strength level?
Defiantly not where I want it to be in both lifts and metcon, have been off and on for a few years, so I still have beginners gain advantage.

Quote:
What is your proficiency with the O-lifts?
Clean and Press
Clean and Jerk
Power Cleans

these Im comfortable doing and have done

Snatch

I am very uncomfortable doing and have not put much weight towards it.

I havent took part in CF oly lifts yet so these are the only ones Ive attempted to do.

Quote:
What is your timeframe for reenlisting?
Plan to Leave Summer of 2009, papers have not been signed yet but somewhere in the summer months is when it will take place.

Quote:
A link to a newer MEBB article to get you started:
http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...ty&shortyID=39

Unless you are going to be doing very very heavy weighted pushups those would not be a good substitute for a pushing exercise. Perhaps tabata pushups at the end of an upper body ME focused day? What is your schedule like? How many days a week are you able to do currently?
Well I would like to workout during days that I work at my job as they have a company owned gym and have more equipment than my apartment.

So my schedule is pretty much Friday Morning-->Tuesday Morning with Wednesday and Thursday Off
Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
ErikHutson

hey guys I just got done reading the 9 page issue that covers MEBB programming, it explained alot, and I think I have somewhat of a good routine set up after reading it.

Currently I do bootcamp style workout on Mondays and Wednesdays for 6 weeks, when the classes are over I will put in more CF days

Goals: Strength Gains while increasing Metcon endurance and overall fitness

rotate every week reps and movements every 3 weeks until bootcamp is finished

5x5
5x3

(T) Power Cleans, Hang Cleans
(L) Back Squats, Zercher Squats
(U) Pullups, Standing Press

Havent decided as far as Scaled WOD to do yet, but plan to do at least 2 PFT focused workouts ie...angie, barbara, chelsea ect... and then throw in 1 weights for time workout (fran, elizabeth ect...)

Monday: Bootcamp (running, mountain climbers, jump rope ect..)

Tuesday: WU (T) Power Cleans, scaled WOD(PFT Focus), cooldown

Wednesday: Bootcamp

Thursday:WU (L) Back Squats, Scaled WOD (PFT Focus), Cooldown

Friday: WU (U) Pullups, Scaled WOD (Weights for Time), Cooldown

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

This is the Only way I could fit in the ME days, unless it would be alright to do split rest days on friday and sunday, I thought having the weekend off would give me plenty of rest after the long week.

Let me know
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Sounds like a plan.

With 6+ months I honestly don't even know if I would worry about this as much and would opt for a strength focus first and move on to something along with what you outlined 2-3 months prior to shipping. But you know yourself better than I do, do you need to drop weight or anything?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Add a movement with scapular retraction aka horizontal pulling (back squats don't really count..).

And what Allen said.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
ErikHutson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Sounds like a plan.

With 6+ months I honestly don't even know if I would worry about this as much and would opt for a strength focus first and move on to something along with what you outlined 2-3 months prior to shipping. But you know yourself better than I do, do you need to drop weight or anything?

ya i have to drop weight, well...alot of weight. Almost 14 months inactive so I felt this was a good routine to get kicked in the pants and back into the shape I was before. As far as horizontal pulling I'll throw in some Cable rows on the (U) day after pullups.

Like I said this is only a 6 week plan, so I'll record my stats and lifts and reevaluate the training when this bootcamp ends. If I dont feel satisfied where I'm at I wont hesitate to switch it up a bit and add more strength work in.