Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Brian DeGennaro

Default Weightlifting Shoes

I was wondering (for those with multiple pairs) what pairs of weightlifting shoes everyone liked the most? Specifically too, not just the brands. I want to keep this as a reference in case I buy another pair of lifting shoes.

The only I have worn are the suede blue Do-Wins and the Rogue. What is everyone's comparison lifting between brands?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Brian,
I'm not a good frame of reference. I bought a pair of Adidiastars (sp) as my first pair of WL shoes. I love them. So solid and sturdy.

Just me. But I really don't have a frame of reference for comparison. Sorry I can't be of more help.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Justin Fricke

Do-Wins and VS are pretty much exactly the same. On that note that is all i have ever lifted in. i like the VS more the Do-Wins (red suede) blew out all over the place on me shortest WL shoe i had. i liked them but the did not last. I picked up the VS sale shole black and white for 40.00 and cant complain a bit-good for a wider foot.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
sarena kopciel

As a preface, we all have different bodies and experiences. Therefore, WL shoes are gonna be experienced differently as well.

That being said, my first pair were leather DOWIns. After about 6 months, I boughts the Adistars and felt a tremendous difference with my comfort and lifts. The heel height can be advantageous or even a disadvantage to some--all depends on body and its build.
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Brian DeGennaro

Okay, so after my first meet I was told to look into investing in a shoe with a higher heel than my Rogues. Reason: knees need to be more forward and that'll help keep me more solid in the hole of a clean or snatch. I can understand what they mean because I have tons of scar tissue in my ankles from track and gymnastics.

Now, who makes shoes with heels higher than 1.5"? Do-Win seems to be the highest heel out there at the moment.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Yuen Sohn

Brian,
If you want a little extra height, you can have a cobbler add a bit of heel to your shoes. It's pretty common.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Okay, so after my first meet I was told to look into investing in a shoe with a higher heel than my Rogues. Reason: knees need to be more forward and that'll help keep me more solid in the hole of a clean or snatch. I can understand what they mean because I have tons of scar tissue in my ankles from track and gymnastics.

Now, who makes shoes with heels higher than 1.5"? Do-Win seems to be the highest heel out there at the moment.
That seems like odd advice considering from what I have read, as you noted above, the Do-win's have one of the highest heel heights available. Maybe you just need a little more practice at keeping knees forward.

On a side note, what's the competition rules for heel height? Is there no limit?
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Aaron Gainer

I like my adistars, but I would own a pair of botevs if I didnt have them!!!
Aaron Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Brian Lawyer

I actually wanted the Adidas Ironwork II shoes that I have seen on sale for $109. I drove to Wichita Falls, TX to pick up some bumper plates from Glenn and went ahead and bought a pair of Do-Wins. I saved about $35 dollars on shipping and cheaper price.

I really didn't need the higher heel of a Do-Win because I have pretty good flexibility. But I can't complain they feel great. I had my first heavy squat workout with them yesterday and I was getting an awesome bounce out of the bottom of my squat. I just hope I don't become dependent on the higher heel....
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Don Stevenson

There is no limit on heel height for competitions although as a mostly irrelevant aside, the last few versions of adidas "adistar" shoes have technically been illegal because they have more than one strap over the laces it's just that no one cares.

A higher heel is a double edged sword. It helps people with flexibility issues in the receiving position of the snatch and in the clean but higher heels are generally harder to jerk in and the higher the heel the lower the bar is relative to the lifter which can make pulling from the floor harder.

It's not unusual for lifters to have two sets of shoes, one with a higher heel for snatch and another with a lower heel for clean and jerk.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote