Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Chris Puckett

Default fasting for a stomach virus

hey all,

I recently had a stomach virus which left me out of work for two days, at home in bed throwing up & with diarrhea, yes its unfortunate this is my first post. My stomach has been messed up for a week, and I tried to eat to get my energy back and get back to my workouts. I had no appetite and lost some weight. I tried eating, but would basically just snack. I finally just got fed up and decided to try a fast, and subsequently did an 18hr & 12 hr. fast, which gave me back my appetite and left me with no stomach problems.

From this I learned that if its a stomach thing, and the body is saying it doesn't want to eat, its good to listen to it. I think from the start I would have had a deliberate fasting approach. Has anyone had any experience like this? Thanks.
Chris Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Make's sense. You lose your appetite for a reason when you get sick. You're body would rather divert it's energy toward killing whatever you were infected with than use energy to digest food. In nature something like that could be the difference between life and death. Fasting heals for sure. Glad to hear you got over that fast, being sick blows.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Donald Lee

I have had extensive experience with this. Fasting is certainly the way to go. I was involved with a Korean campus ministry that went to missions abroad every year. Stomach problems are very common. The quick fix is to fast a day or two. One day is usually enough. Then, for every day you fasted, you reintroduce 1 meal to your system through liquidy meals, such as grits, porridge, etc.

It works like a charm. It sure worked for me. Actually, some stomach problems require many days of food consisting of only liquidy meals before you reintroduce solid and spicy foods.

I don't know the science behind any of this, but this was the general belief amongst those in the ministry.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Somewhat related... fasting at least:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=3346
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Donald Lee

I just discovered some cool websites.

This site appears to be a fasting encyclopedia:
http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

Below is a quote from this site:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T72787.html

Quote:
Function; Reasons For Use
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
During an acute viral illness, fasting activates white blood cells and causes more interferon to be produced.

Conditions responding to fasting include: Headaches, hypoglycemia, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, acne and eczema, tinnitus, vertigo, fibromyalgia, glaucoma, cervical dysplasia, chronic neck and back pain, polymyalgia rheumatica, and many others.

Physicians who have used this approach have recorded improvement or recovery from conditions of every description that patients had been needlessly suffering with for years. Besides the diseases already mentioned, one should assume that in the vast majority of chronic medical conditions this approach may give the disease sufferer the best chance to achieve a complete recovery and avoid a lifetime of suffering or medical treatments.

The withdrawal symptoms of addiction to such drugs as alcohol, cocaine, nicotine and caffeine are resolved quickly while fasting. Most people are amazed at how easy it is to quit smoking while fasting. Those who have fasted begin to respect their body in a new way that enables them to take better care of themselves in the future.

Directions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When non-human animals feel sick, they do not eat. Listen to your body when you are sick and have no appetite. Fast for a few days, then proceed to a light diet of fruit and salad vegetables for a few days and you will quickly recover your health.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Other than the health benefits of outright fasting, many people's systems benefit from fasting because they simply aren't eating the crap they typically do.

I do try to listen to my body when I'm sick, I often notice that I don't get hungry per se, but my "habits" make me want to eat (especially at dinner, from the common IF patterning).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

If it's a stomach thing....you need to clean up the gut...as it's getting rid of bad bacteria and parasites (probably from whatever you just ate). Keep to liquids, fruits, vegetables...take a day off solid protein and all processed crap. Sweat a ton and add in plenty of apple cider vinegar and cayanne pepper....nasty stuff but flushes the crap out.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Chris Puckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Somewhat related... fasting at least:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=3346
for me, the jury is still out for fasting and colds. I am in a heavy lifting phase, and eating a lot anyway, so when I had a cold back in early october I tried eating a lot(4000+ cal per day). Eating actually made me feel good, better than when I tried fasting, cold baths & steam in the past.
Stomach Viruses on the other hand are a completely different story, fasting seems to be the best approach. This is the virus I had, as it has recently sent hundreds of people to the hospital here in NYC I love NY! What made this particularly tough is that I am in a heavy lifting/mass building phase, and the week off had my reset to lower weights, and knocked me back a few weeks in the 8 week cycle. I was disappointed to be further from my goal, but you can only do what you can do. Commuting and living on a cul de sac is looking so good right now..
Chris Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote