Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Jeff Yan

Default gymnastics and powerlifting: do they go together?

Obviously, there's something out there called CrossFit which combines both with success, but I'd like to hear more opinions about this.

I'm thinking about taking a half-step back from pseudo-randomized workouts and trying a more progressive programming approach for a few weeks. So lately I've just started reading about Gant's Hybrid, which has good share of front lever work and powerlifting. However, I've been sort of given the impression that lifting big may build mass which could be at odds with gymnastic progression. That is, stuff like front levers will be more difficult the more that I weigh, and going for heavy worksets in DLs and BS would supposedly elicit a growth response, correct?

Should this be a legitimate concern?

Am I better off focusing on gymnastics and powerlifting separately and one at a time?

Thanks!
Jeff Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Both. You will undoubtedly derive good benefits from doing both at the same time.. if not just proprioceptive-wise.

The only thing at odds with lifting heavy (squats, DL, etc.) may be leg mass which does have some negative side effects on your upper body leverage exercises like front lever and planche. However, if you're already at the weight you want to be and maintaining it, there shouldn't be much if any mass gain that's going to throw you off. Thus, I think it's a misconception to think they are at odds with each other.

Now, if you were on a mass gain program like SS and trying to do front lever... that may be difficult.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

They go well together, IMO.

Do both utilizing set/rep schemes that have been time-tested as being the most productive for each activity.

While I'm combining OL and gymnastics (and yoga) in my program right now, I'm actually contemplating entering a raw PL meet in early 2009 for fun. I'll definitely do some PL-specific training beforehand to prep the movements. Feel free to look at my workout journal here.

Basically, I do 2-3 OL workouts, 1 (hopefully 2 soon) gymnastics workouts, 1-2 hill walks (with and without weight added), and 2-3 yoga sessions a week. It's been working well so far for me.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Grissim Connery

do you do the hill walks PWO or another time? recently i walked back into the old cardio room (hadn't been there in ages) and decided to walk on the treadmill uphill for a bit to clear my head (i always used to do this to destress when classes were getting rough). anyways a new factor that i noticed when i had been doing it recently was that i was able to get my appetite up after a hard workout. sometimes i find it hard to get hungry after a hard workout even if i've been fasting for a long time.

anyways do you do the hill walk at any other time? sometimes i dont' have time after my main workout to dick around and chill out.

as for the main topic of the thread, i find that in order to really develop some of the gymnastic moves, i really have to make sure not to overdo the lifting. a 3x3 stops at 3x3, and generally i don't have to do more than this amount to properly stimulate myself in a lift. i feel that you learn more about your body from gymnastics, so the ratio of gymnastics to lifting should be proportioinally greater.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Grissim,
To continue with the thread hijack, I do my hill walking as a separate workout on its own. :-)

The walks typically take place early Saturday and/or Sunday mornings, with any other workouts coming after. I am very protective of these walks--the stress relief and family time (I go to my parents' house and one or both of them usually comes with me) are invaluable. I'm looking forward to little Taryn getting to the point where her and mom Cori can come on the walks on a much more consistent basis. I do some HeavyHands (walking with accompanying DB exercise) for a short bit either before or after the walk to add a bit more intensity, the lion's share of the walk is simply for walking and talking though.

I don't really do anything PWO. My yoga (stretching) is done in large chunks at separate times completely. I get in, then get out. I don't shift "training focus" very well.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you want some programming advice feel free to post what you wanna work on and other important training info (stats, lifting days, sessions, etc.).
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want some programming advice feel free to post what you wanna work on and other important training info (stats, lifting days, sessions, etc.).
Sorry to butt in but I have recently become interested in working the front lever how should I get started?
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Jeff Yan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Sorry to butt in but I have recently become interested in working the front lever how should I get started?
Do you mean this?
http://gymnasticbodies.com/articles1.html
http://beastskills.com/FrontLever.htm

----------

I came up with a program, but I want to try it out for a bit first before I release the finer details for criticism. I'm wondering if I'm being overly ambitious with it though since I have a feeling of dread just thinking about it.

It's loosely based on Gant's. I plan on working on one lift per session and then either doing a timed WOD or some short interval running. The WODs are meant to be no longer than 15 minutes, which is longer than Gant's 5-10 minute WODs. I tend to get carried away when I design my own WODs, so there's a good chance that I'll have underestimated their difficulty, especially since I don't know how they'll feel following lifting practice.

I'm not particularly planning a strict schedule for the gymnastics practice. I'm going to try to do that at home whenever I have free time since I don't want to linger around the gym all day.
Jeff Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Liam Dougherty Springer

Yep thats it. I haven't even searched the gymnastics section for threads yet I apologize for my lazyness I tried it the other day of course just expecting I could muscle it out and immediately became intimidated so I am excited to get started in conquering this skill.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Best exercise, IMO, is inverted hang eccentric to hang for 7-10s. 2-3 mins between sets for 5-10 sets. Start with tuck, straddle/one leg out, straight body.