Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Anyone with lots of expierence with Oly Lifting Competing

While my main goals are to lose weight and become a police officer, I need a sport. I need something to help make training more than just fitness, but also something where Im striving to A, continually improve and B, beat other people. For that reason I am really interested in oly lifting and somewhat interested in power lifting (maybe even scottish highland games) too. I just found out that California has its own summer olympics for amaeuter atheletes which contains both power lifting and oly lifting and I want to start training in hopes of competing in 2010.

My weightlifting is currently split by a day of upper body, a day of lower body, and a day of clean and jerks. I want to change it to start preparing for that. The only actual programs I have come from Olympic Style Weightlifting for the Beginner and Intermediate Weightlifter by Jim Schmitz. Its good and contains lots of assistance work like BP, BS, etc etc which will help with the power lifting goals.

However, since its all I have, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get other programs to either try or to get ideas from. I meant for this to be longer and better thought out, but Im out of time and got to go, however, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brandon

PS I have a had a little coach in oly lifting. Enough to know correct form so hurting myself via poor form isnt a top concern of mine.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Joe Hart

Greg's CA WOD seems to work pretty good for me. Not being a smart ass you just didn't mention it in your post or I missed it.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Kevin Perry

Greg's book has pretty much everything there is to know about lifting and programming.

Goheavy has a lot of stuff well just message board but you can search there for stuff or go through these forums as their is a thread about programming.

um I say just pick something heavy and lift it and practice your form often and your lifts often and switch around the variations, go by feel if you want.

Course the CAWOD has lifting and metcon so you can kills two birds with one stone, get good at the O-lifts and be ready for police academy.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Brandon Enos

No, dont worry, you dont sound like an ass. The CA WOD was one of the things I didnt get a chance to adress before I had to run. My only problem with the CA WOD is that I have no need for the mass gain phases. I have a lot of mass and I know the olympic lifts will build more mass where needed. I just want to practice the lifts and raise the weight lifted. Not to mention coming in in the middle of a cycle isnt always the best idea.

Ill definately check out Gregs book. Judging by the store page, it doesnt look like it is an e-book, anyone know if Im wrong in this assumption?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

no it's an actual book. with pages that you can flip and what not.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Brandon Enos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
no it's an actual book. with pages that you can flip and what not.
haha, thats what I thought. Nothing against an actual book, I just dont like the waiting to get it, especially when Im A, out of town and B, wanting to put this info to work as soon as possbile. An e-book I could download and start reading tonight would be nice, but either way Im ordering it.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
Brandon Enos

Also, just incase anyone doesnt know who Jim Schmidtz is. He coached the US weightlifting team twice in the olympics, coached the Pan American Team and the World Team. At the time of publication he was the president of the USWF.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Adam Gagliardi

there is also strongman and NAHA, which is a combo of strongman and highland games....i know there are several training crews for strongman all over cali
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
My only problem with the CA WOD is that I have no need for the mass gain phases.
There are no designated mass gain cycles of the CA wod. Theres strength to build basic strength, and bulgarian to build strength in the lifts.