Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #161
Chris Salvato

god i hate contrast showering...

was your soreness that bad?
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #162
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
god i hate contrast showering...

was your soreness that bad?
I wasnt sore at all, I just like the feeling haha.

--------------------------------------------------

24P - 22C - 50F - 2139cal

Skills
face to wall handstand
6x0:30 on/0:45 off

assisted R-OAEL, straddle assisted L-OAEL
3x0:15 on/0:25 off/0:15 on/0:25 off

tuck FL hold
56, 4

Workout

dips
+40# 2x5, 1x4(f)

FL pull thrus
tuck 4x3

deadlift
235# 3x3

Grip

extensor bands
#2 - 2x15 each hand

Recovery
PWO stretch
15 min

PWO cold shower
3x0:30 sec front and back

Pretty shitty day outside, good day in the gym. Got my first full wrist pushup, and then did 5 more before my wrists felt a little sore.

Fixed my OAEL positioning so I'm less hunched over and my arms is pressed more into my side than my stomach. Worked well for the R arm, but the L needed some adjustments so I went back to the straddle for it.

Dips were hard-ish today. I felt like I should have been able to do them all, but I guess not. I think the missed rep was mental though, because I had already psyched myself out about how hard it was gunna be, so on the last rep I tried some kind weird kip thing right from the bottom, instead of taking it slow, and iit mess me up. I'll get it Friday, and if not i'll switch to 5x3 for dips.

Added a set to fl pull thrus. Gunna get it up to 5x3, then make it 5x4, then 5x5, up to 5x8, then move on to advanced tuck. Gunna work the same thing with HSPU negs.

Deadlift is the real shiner today. 230# used to be my 3rm, and today I got 5 lbs over for 3x3. Thats a decent PR i'd say. The very last rep was kinda ugly though. Not bad back rounding, but my back was definitely not as tight as I would like it to be. Grip almost failed on the last rep to.

Also, today i ordered the ironmind dip belt and the CoC-T so i can get both my dips, pullups and grip stronger. I think I can definitely hit 40# for 3x5 without having to hold the dumbell in my legs.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #163
james forshaw

My intake today was only at the time of posting, I definitely made up the deficit with my last meal! You must remember that I'm cutting for 28 days straight before going back to a maintenance routine, hence the low intake.
It must be a lot of fun shovelling that lot down you, you must be one of those genetically gifted people who can eat anything and stay ripped to shreds. Nice going with the dipping, so far superior to the bench press.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #164
Chris H Laing

25P - 20C - 50F

Skills
free standing handstand attempts
6x1:00 on/1:00 min off

assisted OAEL
3x15 on/25 off/15 on/25 off

Grip
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
2x10

CoC-S
10, 7, 6

Workout
ab wheel rollouts
3x5

Had to kinda rush through the workout today. During FSHS practice, I did a partial rom HSPU, which is kinda cool. I feel like training the HS holds and HSPU negs is definitely bringing my HSPU strength up fast.

The new elbow positioning im using in OAEL is kinda painful on my hip bone, but it makes it a lot easier to balance. I just need to find a happy medium between the two.

The CoC-S is getting to easy too easy to close, so I have to use more sets with the CoC-G to tire my hands out first. Hopefully the CoC-T will get here soon, so I can get some more productive work sets in.

Ab wheel rollouts are not hard on my abs at all, but for some reason my shoulders hurt during them. I dunno...

Now I'm off to chow down on some salmon and then its off to work.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #165
Chris H Laing

28P - 20C - 50F

Skills
face to wall handstand
6x0:30 on/0:45 off

assisted straddle OAEL
3x0:15 on/0:25 off/0:15 on/0:25 off

Adv tuck FL holds
played around

Workout
HSPU negs+
4x3

pullups
+15# 3x5

FS
95# 3x5

Grip
extensor bands
#2 - 2x15 each hand

Felt like crap all today. Dunno why. Just not a good day. And yet I got all 3 sets of weighted pullups pretty easily.

The hspu negs+ is just a little version i came up with to help me gain more strength to get my head off the ground, where i am weakest. I lower down as normal, and when my head touches the ground, i let it rest there for a second, then push the ground down as hard as I can. I didnt break the ground on these sets, but I figure eventually I will and that will be a HSPU.

FS weight was really easy, but I think i finally found the right foot position to help me keep my torso upright.

Besides feeling shitty today, it was a good day. Also got my dip belt after getting back from the gym, so on friday, those dips are mine.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #166
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
got my dip belt after getting back from the gym, so on friday, those dips are mine.
Turns out my mom was just kidding with me...its not coming til tuesday next week.

-------------

26P - 20C - 50F

Skills

12 min FSHS attempts
3 good handstands

Felt a little off. I did this much later than I usually do, so i think I was a little worn out.

Grip
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
3x5

CoC-S
11, 10, 7

11 is the most I've done with this one in one set, but I'm supposed to be doing 5-8 reps. I need my new gripper to come soon.

sledge lever
3x5

Hard stuff. Hard to quantify though, pretty much just go as far down the handle as i can, which isnt very far right now

PL holds
20x3 sec

Done on the floor, wrists were the limiting factor

Decent workout today. I've moved stuff around because i feel like I might be doing too much skill work before workouts and burning out on it. Now its gunna be OAEL first on mon,wed,fri, followed by 3x wall handstands. FSHS work will be on tues,thrus,sat. KB juggling will only be one day a week, sat, and pl will take the place of ab wheel. I figure if i can do a full planche a standing wheel will be a piece of cake.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #167
Chris H Laing

15P - 12C - 20F

Skills
assisted straddle OAEL
3x15sec

wall HS
3x30sec

Workout

dips
+40# 3x5

I'm pretty confident that I wont be able to hit 45# for 3x5 on wednesday next week, so I'm gunna move to 5x3 with 45#

FL pull thru + neg
tuck/adv tuck 5x3

im doing the pull thrus in tuck FL, and now i added an adv tuck FL neg on the way back down, much harder, killed my grip

front squats
105# 3x5

had trouble sucking in my abs today, did a lot of butt-sticing out during the last set

Recovery
pwo stretch
10-15 min

Good workout today. Some guy came up while I was doing the fl pull thrus on my rings and asked if he could try them, jumped up into support position, did a dip, went for a second and did this wonky thing with his shoulder, and might have dislocated it...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #168
Chris H Laing

Saturday - Grip Day
Week 2

25P - 25C - 50F

Skills
free handstand attempts
12 min - 4 good ones

btw, a "good one" is a fshs attempt that is 10 sec or longer, or one that i felt i was actually in control of while I was up there

Workout
store gripper
1x10

CoC-G
2x10

CoC-S
12, 9, 9

another PR on this, my grip is definitely getting stronger, but I feel like my forearms arent recovering well enough during

pony clamps
3x5

sledge levering
3x5

getting stronger on these to, feels good to make progress

Good grip workout today. Got a slight pump in the forearms. I have now decided that I wanna work on card ripping, but I'm gunna wait til I can crush the CoC-1 for reps, or maybe even the CoC-2 before i start tearing, because as it is right now I can only tear 10 cards at once.

Also played around with BLs today for the first time in a couple weeks, and Ima use them as my "core" work. I feel like the BL will have good straight body strength carry over to the FL, and BL is a pretty cool skill in and of itself.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #169
Chris H Laing

Rest Day
Week 2

cheat day - 6 zone perfect chocolate bars, 12P, 15C, 14F, 1260 cals

Didnt do anything physical today, but decided to implement a cheat meal once a week to maybe help with my gut problems which seem to be coming back, and possibly get a few more calories in on my off day. It tasted good, and I felt pretty full afterwards, and my gut pain has significantly gone today since the meal.

My dip belt and new gripper come on tuesday, so I'm pretty excited.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #170
Chris H Laing

Monday - HSPU Day
week 3

20P - 16C - 30F

Skills
OAEL
assisted straddle 3x15sec

finally found the right elbow position for these. Held the right arm for like 8 second, and the left for about 2, but it still felt solid

wall handstand
3x30sec

Workout
HSPU negs+
5x3

these felt really good today. Every rep was nice and slow

pullups
+15# 3x5

these were good too, moving up to 17.5# next time, cuz i'll have my dip belt

front squats
115# 3x5

think i'm finally getting the hang of front squats, didnt have to slouch forward on many of the reps this time around

Recovery
PWO stretch
15 min

extensor bands
#2 2x15

Good workout today. I need something softer to land my head on during the HSPUs because after the fifth set I have a slight headache from resting on my head...

Other than that everything was good. Had to kip out the very last rep on the 15# pullups, but I'm still gunna advance next workout.