Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
Chris Salvato

Could be foot position, in ur OHS, too..

Make sure you can get to a vertical (or near vertical) torso while doing unweighted squats at the bottom of your ROM. If not, then your knees will be too far back and you will need to lose back angle to keep the COM over your midfoot...that becomes much more pronounced in the OHS.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Chris H Laing

Chris - thanks for the tip. Due to my anthropology i dont think it'll be possible for me to ever get a vertical torso...i'm working on it though.

Thursday - No oly lifting technique because I was at my grandma's house for thanksgiving. Went into the back yard though and did:
For time:
100 burpees

Time = 10:56

Not a good time at all, my metcon still sucks. My hips cracked a lot when i was doing burpees too. Maybe cuz they were too tight?

Today - rest day

Visited my baby cousins today after leaving my grandma's and we were running around and stuff and I stepped in a hole and i think I pulled my left hip. It also might be due to my lack of stretching and foam rolling, so ima start that up again.
I cant bring it up to anywhere near parallel when standing up because it hurts to much.

We'll see how it feels tomorrow, because tomorrow i wanna try to do my first full snatch and clean and jerk. Going for 65 on the snatch baby!!! Yea!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
Chris H Laing

Definitely no workout today. The hip is super sore, and noticeably inflamed today. I'll give it a couple more days to see if it makes itself better, and then I'll start looking for a solution.

I'm thinking, if this hip thing doesn't clear up for a while, that ima do the three week muscle up program (wfs) because I still don't have a muscle up.

If the leg does feel better soon, I definitely wanna continue with oly lifting, but maybe instead of gymnastics pull, gymnastics push on snatch days, I'll work on false grip pullups pulled super high, super deep higher rep ring dips, and on the gymnastic pull on the clean & jerk day, I would work muscle up rows or negatives to build strength in the transition.

Also, I'm getting a food dehydrator today so I can start making my own jerky!!! Woo!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Chris H Laing

rest day

Hip is still a bit iffy, but its feeling better. Its still up in the air whether or not i'll be doing any squatting tomorrow, but i'm guessing probably not so I'll probably do a lot of upper body gymnastic stuff, maybe play around with some rings routines or something. I'll also be working towards that muscle up as that has become a major goal of mine over the last couple days.

In other news i didnt get a food dehydrator yesterday because walmart doesn't carry them in stores...only online. But I did get to experiment with some recipes from the PMenu. Last night I made shredded chicken and pesto, which was delicious, and extremely calorie dense, so I'll probably be making it a lot with different variations because it makes four servings at around 900 calories each, easy easy eating during and IF window.

Tonight I'll be making some portabella burgers, with ground buffalo, which I am looking forward to also.

I think i need to start measuring my protein because I do not think I am getting enough. Ideally I'd like at least 150 g a day, but I seem to be getting around 110 when i do my calculations. Something to be fixed...

So i entered all my foods and whatnot of the day into fitday, and found that I ate just over 150 g of protein, and had about 2500 calories overall. The cool thing is that my ration was 26% protein, 19% carbs, and 55% fat, which is extremely close to the athletes zone of 25, 15, 60 without measuring my food...pretty cool. And it was all paleo side from a couple glasses of whole milk.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Chris H Laing

*16 hr fast*

Still waiting for my hip to heal, so no workout today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get to the gym. If I can, I'll be starting linear progression for ohs and fs, replacing the back squats on test day with a clean or snatch grip deadlift.

Also, I'll start working towards a muscle up with false grip pullups, muscle up negs, and rowing muscle ups.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Chris H Laing

Finally got back to the gym today, although my left hip and knee were still bothering me.

*16 hr fast*

Warm up
2 x 100 jump ropes (working towards double unders eventually)
60 sec HS - easy, gunna start doing stomach to wall
tuck FL - 30 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec
DROM - trunk twists, leg swings, arm swings, dislocates, halos
2x b warmup with dowel

During the b warmup my ohs felt off-er than usual...I was having a hard time sitting straight down instead of back. I think SS messed me up in this aspect, because I rely almost solely on my hamstrings when doing squats and deadlifts, instead of the quads, but I'm working on it. also my ankle flexibility sucks, especially in my left foot.

Snatch Tech -
just played around with snatch drop, and tried some high hang full snatches with the dowel. I cant seem to get into a good ohs position from a full snatch, as I always land with my feet too wide and my toes pointed way out.

OHS - starting linear progression
55 x 3 x 5

Wasn't hard on the legs at all, which is good cuz my hip is still a bit tender. My wrists felt a bit twinged after the sets but it soon went away. My problem with ohs and fs is that i sit to far back, which makes my torso much less vertical, and it felt like if I had had any substantial weight on the bar I might have lost some of these forward. A couple felt really good in the hole, and the rest not so much.

For the next couple weeks I'll be stretching the crap outta my ankles, because my limited ankle flexibility is really making it hard for me to keep a vertical torso.

False grip pullups
tried to do 3 x 5 but I cant hold the false grip for more than a couple reps, although it makes it easier to pull your chest to the rings, so it looked something like:
2, 3, rest 3, 2, rest, 2, 2, 1

pathetic...

Ring dips
going for some more endurance in these, and I think I started to high...
went for 3 x 7 but had to break the last set into 5, 2. I think next time i'll go 3x5 or even 3x3 and work on getting super duper deep in the dip.

I felt great at the beginning of this workout, but overall it was pretty disappointing. My ohs sucks, my false grip sucks, and my ring dips suck. Hopefully thursday will be better...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Chris H Laing

Warm up:
2 x 100 jumprope
Played on the bonzai board or whatever its called, had one hold that was like 1:05

Metcon:
10 rounds for time:
10 35# dumbell swings, overhead
10 pullups

Time - 16:40

This one destroyed my hands. I have two blood blisters on my left hand and one on my right, which is more than i've ever had in my entire life. And they formed after the calluses over them were ripped off.

First time in a couple months that i've done high rep pullups...i forgot how good they hurt. First two sets were unbroken, and the ones up til round 7 were all 5, 5. Afterwards I just got up on the bar and did as many as i could then drop off. All db swings unbroken.

Finished the first 6 rounds, plus 10 db swings, in around 8 min. and then I hit the wall.

Overall really good day. Felt great to make myself this tired again. I LOVE METCON!!!

Also, i'm taking a new approach to skill training for the oly lifts. Ill be using the WCC vids, and using their progressions.

Oly Tech:
Didn't really do any skill work, but I found my pulling stance and proper grip. Turns out I was starting with my feet too narrow and that I was holding the bar too wide. Interesting stuff...

Also I popped one of the blood blisters in my left hand and got blood on my pvc.

Then I proceeded to stretch the sh!t outta my ankles. My left ankle got slightly looser from the one session, but its not back to how it was. I wasn't really expecting to gain any flexibility from just one thing but it was pretty cool to see my knee go farther out over my foot.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
Chris H Laing

*16 hr fast*

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes with dynamic ankle stretches in between sets
tuck FL hold - 45 sec, 15 sec
DROM
...forgot the b warmup

Clean strength:
Front squat
75 x 3 x 5

Still really easy, but my inflexible ankles are keeping me from a good position. I filmed myself today, and ima try to get it up soon so i can get some peoples opinions.

Jerk strength:
Push Jerk
80 x 4 x 4

Pretty easy. Focused on keeping an upright back and not bending over at the waist at all. On one rep i was focused so hard that i smacked myself in the chin. People laughed...

Gymnastic pull:
Weighted ring pullups (last time for these, sadly...)
+10 x 3 x 5

Some dick who works at the gym i go to came in in the middle of my second set, didnt even let me finish, and told me i had to take my rings down or get kicked out of the gym. Such bullshit...I left without finishing the pullups cuz i was pissed. So that takes away all chances i had to work on the muscle up. Guess ill have to start working on HSPU and bar pullups.

If anyone reads this, which pullup on a bar is more like a OAC?

C&J tech:
Watch WCC movie on C&J
Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #19
Chris H Laing

*16 hr fast*

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ ankle stretches in between
60 sec wall hs
2:00 total balance time on bonzai board

Metcon:
5 rounds for time:
50 lb dumbell lunges, 10 reps
50 lb dumbell swings, 15 reps, russian

Time = 7:00

Felt good. The goal was 10 min, so I beat it which is good news. All reps were unbroken, but i took breaks between sets. My back was super tight for all sets, and I lost my balance a couple times.

Gunna try a new approach to oly technique training. Gunna integrate the different sections of the learning process into short technique workouts. Well see how it goes after a while.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Chris H Laing

Rest day

Played some football in the snow (it snowed here!!). Cold but fun. Also today was kind of a cheat day i guess, cuz i had some foods i wouldn't normally eat, but whatever, it keeps me from going insane.

Need to start my oly technique work again, cuz its been lacking lately. I'm working on putting together some workouts based on the skill progressions taught in the WCC videos.

Hopefully i'll be able to progress to the full lifts in a couple months, and with linear progression going on through the months, i'll hopefully have a respectable base strength.