Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
Chris H Laing

*14 hr fast*

Went to Einsteins during third period today and had some really greasy eggwiches that made me feel weird for the rest of the day...

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ dynamic ankle stretches
Wall HS - 60 sec
Tuck FL - 60 sec...might have counted a lil fast at the end though
DROM - leg swings, hip twists, shoulder circles, more ankle

Snatch Tech:
5 sets of - 5 explosion point to max extension point, slow, pause at max ext point
3 max ext point to pull under, slow

Then messed around with exp point to pull under, but i wasn't getting to max extension before starting the pull under so i stopped.

Snatch Strength:
OHS
65 x 3 x 5

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of OHS. I lost some warmup reps to the front, but once i started consciously pushing my knees as far forward as they could go, i started hitting a really solid bottom position. I guess ankle stretching is working.

Pull:
C2B Chinups
3 x 5

These were really easy, cept for the last rep of sets 2 and 3, where I had to kip a lil at the top to touch chest to bar. This was just to get a base for when I start adding weight.

Push:
Head to ground, HSPU negs
10 sec 3 x 3

Last rep on last set each, were prolly closer to 8 and 9 sec. Gunna work these up til I got all 3 x 3 at 10 sec, then go to 3 x 4.

Good workout today. Good day overall, even with the shatty nutrition for the past couple days, and the erratic sleep.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
Chris Salvato

Whats your one set max on chins? If you can't do 10-15 you might want to push off on adding weight.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #23
Chris H Laing

Strict or kipping? I can get like 30 or 40 kipping, maybe like 19 or 20 strict, but i'm not sure about going chest to bar, cuz they are harder than chin over bar, so maybe ill work towards 3x10 strict chest to bar before adding weight.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #24
Chris Salvato

Oh damn -- no i think you are ok :P

You just want to make sure the motor pathway is really solid (10-15 max reps in one set) before you add weight. Otherwise, you will just be spinning your own wheels...

Sounds like you are definitely add weight. WPU is kind of a pain in the ass, to be honest -- imho it is so much harder to advance with weighted push/pull than it is with body weight for some reason...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
Chris H Laing

*16 hr fast*

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ ankle stretches
60 sec wall hs
Bonzai board balance - 3:00
DROM

Metcon:
5 rounds for time:
10 L arm dumbell snatches, 35 lbs
5 pullups
10 R arm dumbell snatches, 35 lbs
5 pullups

Time = 16:49

Originally it was supposed to be ten pullups between snatches, but after 2 rounds, my hand started ripping apart again, so I put it back to 5. I need to build my calluses back up to how they were in my cf days, so I can bust out high rep kipping pullups without destroying my hands.

MU Tech:
5 x 2 rowing muscle ups

Cant make it through the transition slowly yet, as it takes an explosive pull to get me through into the bottom of a dip. I'll be working these most days, at night, way after my workout.

Oly Tech:
3 sets with each grip of:
5 exp 2 max ext
3 max ext 2 pullunder

Starting to get comfortable with the movement, did a couple slightly faster today. Tomorrow I'll prolly try to combine the two movements in my Clean tech work.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
Chris H Laing

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumprope w/ ankle stretches
Tuck FL hold - 60 sec *moving on to next progression next time
DROM

Clean Tech:
5 sets of - 3 exp 2 max ext
5 max ext to pullunder

Did the exp 2 max ext a little faster today, and I noticed the bar has a tendency to fly away from my body when the move is done quicker. Gunna concentrate on keeping the bar as close as possible but keep doing these at a faster speed. Possibly gunna move up to a real bar soon.

Clean Strength:
Front Squat
85 x 3 x 5

I still can't seem to get into a solid position at the bottom of the FS, but hopefully my ankles will get flexible-er soon, so it becomes easier.

Jerk Strength:
Push Press
85 x 4 x 4

These were pretty easy. Thinking about going up 10 lbs next time instead of 5.

Pull:
C2B Chinups
bw x 3 x 5

Did no weight again, and I hit the bar with my chest every rep without having to kip, so i think its time to add weight. Prolly gunna do 2.5 lbs every time to get some linear progression with this, so it'll be like 5 lbs a week.

Pretty good workout today. Worked up a good sweat.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
Chris H Laing

Unscheduled rest day due to homework...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #28
jake oleander

hey, just read through your log. im involved in similar training myself...
i was just wondering how long youd been working out for, and whether youve done something like starting strength. it seems to me like youre trying to do too many things at once. and i think steven was right about you lacking volume, particularly for upper body. just some things to consider. good luck with your training!
jake oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Chris H Laing

Jake, I did do starting strength for a month and a half, with GOMAD, and i felt so crappy the entire time that I decided it wasn't worth the strength gains. Also most of the weight I gained was fat, because I'm slowly moving back towards my starting weight.

Also, I did crossfit for the summer before starting strength, which was like 2 and a half months, so i've been working out for like 4 or 5 months...i started really late.

I'm actually pretty happy with what I'm doing right now, and I dont think I'm tackling too much, but Im really interested to see your point of view on things. Which parts of my training do you think I'm overreaching with, and how would you suggest focusing my training more?

and now the workout..

Oly Tech:
5 sets of - 3 sn grip exp 2 pullunder
3 cl grip exp 2 pullunder

Went slow on the first reps, stopping at the max ext to try and get the feel. On the later reps I tried to move faster, but I still wasn't reaching the max ext point when I go fast, so i slowed down again.

Metcon:
50 box jumps at knee height
25 parallette pushups with feet on the box
40 box jumps at knee height
20 parallette pushups with feet on the box
30 box jumps at knee height
15 parallette pushups with feet on the box
20 box jumps at knee height
10 parallette pushups with feet on the box
10 box jumps at knee height
5 parallette pushups with feet on the box

Time = 13:05

The first sets of box jumps took forever, and the first set of pushups was unbroken. Afterwards the box jumps went pretty quick, but the pushups were broken into 10s and eventually 5s. Worked up a pretty good sweat though.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #30
Chris Salvato

By the By, i just noticed ur HSPU negatives are only head to ground. Bad move. Then you will be where I am now.

It makes no sense to train the strength to push from the ground then have to re-do it all when u want to go from full ROM...best to just work full ROM from the get go and save yourself the time.

Also..the last time u did this was 12-8 -- thats 4 days ago. If you take tomorrow off, we are looking at 6 days between the negatives. Should be doing these every day at the gym if they are top priority -- or every other day...hell even ALL day as GTG. Your volume is much too low on those, imho, which is what I think jake and steve is trying to say. Instead of doing "gymnastics pull" -- focus on muscle ups or Chest-to-Bar Pulls. Instead of doing "gymnastics push" -- do planches or HSPU only. By the by, the jerk work can be purely technical if you are doing HSPU work -- most of the strength from HSPU has remarkable translation to OH Press -- this cuts down on some work you need to do like Jerk Strength, for now, anyway.

Just my opinion on these matters...im sure steve/jake would agree though.

Keep up the hard work!