Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #31
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
By the By, i just noticed ur HSPU negatives are only head to ground. Bad move. Then you will be where I am now.

It makes no sense to train the strength to push from the ground then have to re-do it all when u want to go from full ROM...best to just work full ROM from the get go and save yourself the time.
I would rather work the full rom, but my gym wouldn't let me bring the smaller parallettes that made in... still trying to figure out what to do.

Quote:
Also..the last time u did this was 12-8 -- thats 4 days ago. If you take tomorrow off, we are looking at 6 days between the negatives.
I'll be doing them today, cuz its kind of like an A, B split SS type deal.

Quote:
Should be doing these every day at the gym if they are top priority -- or every other day...hell even ALL day as GTG. Your volume is much too low on those, imho, which is what I think jake and steve is trying to say.
HSPU are not top priority right now. Top priority is getting good at the oly lifts. A free standing HSPU is a very long term goal for me, and I wouldn't mind if it took me a couple years to get it.

Quote:
Instead of doing "gymnastics pull" -- focus on muscle ups or Chest-to-Bar Pulls. Instead of doing "gymnastics push" -- do planches or HSPU only.
Thats exactly what I'm doing . Chinups for pull and hspu's for the push, until I get a lot stronger in both.

Quote:
By the by, the jerk work can be purely technical if you are doing HSPU work -- most of the strength from HSPU has remarkable translation to OH Press -- this cuts down on some work you need to do like Jerk Strength, for now, anyway.
The reason I've been doing hspu's and push press, is because hspu involves no hip, but the push press, jerk, split jerk are almost all about the explosive hip movement. So I'm training HSPU for the overhead pressing strength, and push presses for the explosive hip + oh strength.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #32
Chris Salvato

well then I stand corrected -- I was going off what I saw in the log

i still think working HSPU 1-2x a week isn't enough at your level of strength -- almost a waste of time since the frequency is so low on something that is going to take much work. You can get a good HSPU by just working the oly lifts, if that is the case and save yourself some time. just imho though.

you're doing great man, i'm just alway analyzing/reanalyzing for max gains . keep it up
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #33
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
i still think working HSPU 1-2x a week isn't enough at your level of strength -- almost a waste of time since the frequency is so low on something that is going to take much work. You can get a good HSPU by just working the oly lifts
1-2x a week seems to work for pretty good strength gains with SS, and I figure that since I'm also working push presses, the two will have carryover to each other. In total I'm going overhead at least 3x a week, plus whatever happens in metcon.

*17 hr fast*

Protein - 206g WOOT!!! Thats 50 more g's than I aim for daily.

Warmup:
3 x 100 jumpropes w/ ankle stretches
DROM

I think I need a new ankle stretch, because stretching them one by one doesn't seem to carry over well when I need both ankles to go far over the toes simultaneously.

Sn Tech:
3 sets of - 3 exp 2 max ext
3 max ext 2 pullunder
3 exp 2 pullunder

Exp 2 pullunder is starting to feel pretty good. Still having trouble hitting max extension when I go fast, but its getting there.

Sn Strength:
OHS
75 x 3 x 5

Still dont have a very good bottom position, because it feels like, in order to get my ass to my ankles, I cant have my knees going in front of my toes, but then I lose my near vertical torso

I think my ankles and knees are at a point where as far as they can go isn't far enough for a full A2A squat with a vertical torso, so I end up pulling my knees back when settling into the hole. Kind of hard to explain...ill try to get a video up and see what anyone thinks.

Sn grip DL
165 x 3 x 3

This might have been a little too heavy because I wasn't able to keep my torso angle the same all the way up, but it still felt good to lift a little heavier than I've been lifting lately...

Push:
HSPU negs, head to floor
3 x 3 10 sec

Still haven't found a way to do full rom hspu's at my gym. I'm thinking I go to the owner and ask if i can bring my parallettes in if i sign something that says i wont sue if i get hurt on them, but head to floor is hard enough for now i guess...

Last negative was only like 8 sec because I was pretty fatigued. Ill stick with 3x3 next time, then go on to 3x4.

Pretty good workout, still dont like OHS though...
Old 12-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #34
Chris H Laing

*no fast*

protein today - 152g

Rest day. Did absolutely nothing.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #35
Chris H Laing

*14 hr fast*

protein - 158 g

warmup:
2 x 120 jumpropes w. ankle stretches
DROM
wall hs - 60 sec
Tuck FL - 30 sec
Less tuck FL - 10, 10, 10 sec *much harder, hips fall a lil

cl tech:
5 sets of - 3 exp 2 max ext
3 max ext 2 pullunder
3 exp 2 pullunder

On the exp 2 max ext I cam finally starting to be able to do it fast without the bar swinging out in front of me. Also the max ext 2 pullunder is now pretty easy to do fast. I just gotta get the whole thing at once and then I can move on!! Woo

cl strength:
front squat
95 x 3 x 5

Finally got to put the bumper plates on the bar!! Also I think i found the most comfortable position for front squats for me. Good day for front squats.

jerk strength:
push press
90 x 4 x 4

Finally starting to have to work during push presses. Noticed my torso dipping forward a little bit on the dip, so I focused on keeping it vertical. It helped when I didn't dip as far down.

pull:
chinups, bw
3 x 5

I was really tired today, so I put off adding weight on these. Maybe next time...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #36
Chris H Laing

*16 hr fast*
protein - 178 g

warmup:
2 x 120 jumprope w/ ankle stretches
2 min on balance board
DROM

metcon:
4 rounds for time:
15 hang power cleans, 95 lbs
500m row

time = 17:24

Felt pukie coming on this one. Grip was done by the end.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #37
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post

metcon:
4 rounds for time:
15 hang power cleans, 95 lbs
500m row

time = 17:24

High Volume of cleans there man. Nicely done...good time. I think I did 30 P. Cleans @ 135# for time in like 7 or 8 minutes, so i think you may have me beat :P
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #38
Chris H Laing

Doing that many cleans at 135...I wouldnt be able to hold the steering wheel on the ride home, haha.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #39
Chris H Laing

*16 hr fast*

protein - 159g

warmup:
jumprope 1 x 100 w/ ankle stretches
some double under attempts
DROM
wall hs - 60 sec
frog pl - 23, 37 sec *found my balance the second time
less tuck fl - 6 x 10 sec

Double unders were bad. I have to bring my knees to my chest to get one done. On the frog pl my arms were bent, ill be working on straightening them next time. On the fl, my hips are still a little low, but its getting better.

sn tech:
3 sets of - 5 exp 2 max ext
5 max ext 2 pullunder
5 exp 2 pullunder

I can finally do these fast with decent form. I'll be using a real bar for these on sat

sn strength:
ohs
85 x 2 x 5

My form was shit for these, so after the second set...

65 x 3 x 3

Form was a little better. I need my ankles to be more f***ing flexible.

pull:
sn grip dl
135 x 3 x 3

Even though i did 165 last time, I went down to 135 to make sure my form was good and to work on keeping the same back angle all the way up. Went well.

Didn't get to hspu's today because during the whole workout i felt lightheaded and woozy. When I pushed up into the handstand i thought I was gunna pass out so i went home. Feeling like crap now....
Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #40
Chris H Laing

Felt much better today compared to yesterday.

*16.5 hr fast*

protein - 185g

warmup:
500 m row - 1:55
2 min on balance board - im getting good at this
DROM
some jumpropes and pullups to warm up for:

metcon:
3 rounds for time:
200 single unders
15 pullups

time = 9:57

This time is actually closer to 9:00 because I took a break after the second set of jumpropes to spot a guy on his bench press. He asked so nicely I couldn't say no...then i got right back into it. Pretty fun one, and it didn't rip up my hands like the other metcons I've done with pullups. Wanted to do 50 double unders each rounds, but after a couple attempts, I realized it would take me around 5 min for 50, so I went with single unders...this time...

Pretty good day overall.

later...

5x5 muscle up rows working on technique through the transition and falling back down while retaining the false grip.