Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #51
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Yea that one sucked too. But maybe your right, because I didnt throw up during it...
I never puked from a metcon -- but every time I have been close to puking it has involved pullups or sprints...the full body stuff doesn't push me to that limit but that never occurred to me until I read your post :P
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #52
Chris H Laing

This is the second time I've ever thrown up. First time was doing Helen for the first time as rx'd. I'd never swung a 1.5 pood before, and it was so damn heavy. And Helen also has pullups...hmmm.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #53
Chris H Laing

Does anyone who reads this think i'm trying to attempt to much at once. I know I'm not very strong in either oly lifting or gymnastics yet, and I'm wondering if I should keep working on both of them at the same time or try a little more specialization.

I'm thinking I should try a maybe more specialized approach with, say, 3 month periods dedicated to gymnastics or weightlifting while doing maintenance work for the strength I do have in the other and some metcon during all because metcon is fun.

One reason I'm leaning towards trying this approach is because I don't think I'll be able to teach myself the snatch very well without at least a little coaching, which I plan on getting in the near future. Also I know that people will high level gymnastic strength have pretty heavy deads and presses without training it, so it might have some good carryover to oly lifting.

Just wondering what people think.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #54
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Looks fine to me. I mean, it's up to you though. Only you really know what you want to do and when you can get coaching on things when and such.

If you're feeling run down and such you need to cut back some and work your way up to the volume... but right now it's nothing that's super insane that you shouldn't have trouble dealing with it once you get adapted.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #55
Chris Salvato

My rule of thumb is that if I do not see progress in about 4 weeks then I am doing something wrong...whether its too much, too little, or something just all together wrong.

I try to limit the goals I go for by going for maximum translation. OAC, for example, translates nicely to the cross and vice versa...so I don't need to work both at once. OH Press and HSPU full ROM are very much the same...so I go for whichever one is more important to me or fits my schedule.

Sometimes, with all of the goals and breakdowns of movements (Cleans, Tall Cleans, Full Cleans, Power Cleans, Hang Cleans, etc) you can get caught up and realize you did tons of workouts without even testing your progress.

Just like with dieting, the only time you need to change something is when progress is not how you feel it should be - is that how you feel now?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #56
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you're feeling run down and such you need to cut back some and work your way up to the volume... but right now it's nothing that's super insane that you shouldn't have trouble dealing with it once you get adapted.
Its actually a good amount of volume. I'm just wondering if I'm making less gains than I should because I'm not focused enough on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post

Just like with dieting, the only time you need to change something is when progress is not how you feel it should be - is that how you feel now?
Not really. I'm making ok progress because I'm still pretty new to oly lifting and gymnastics, and its almost impossible for me to not make progress .

What i think i'm gunna do for a while is some pure gymnastics based on the programs in sommers book, working towards goals like back/front lever, hspu, pistols, and planche (longer term), while still working on snatch technique a couple times a week.

I figure when I can get back to oly lifting, I'll have be stronger in the squat position (i dont have pistols yet) and in the overhead position (no hspu's either) and my technique on the snatch will be pretty good for when I finally get coaching for the oly lifts.

Also, just got back from a christmas cruise in the bahamas, and didn't get in any workouts except for a lot of beach volleyball, and a lot of swimming and kayaking. Gunna try and start my all gymnastics (with some oly tech) workout plan soon.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #57
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Not really. I'm making ok progress because I'm still pretty new to oly lifting and gymnastics, and its almost impossible for me to not make progress .
Haha point noted. However, I was speaking since you are doing too much. If you do too much, then you will only start to see problems with progress stalls/hampers. If you see that, especially at a novice level, then you are likely just overstressing yourself and not allowing for proper recovery.

You can deadlift every day if you're a novice..and that's good. You only stop this methodology when you see progress stall or you see symptoms of overtraining -- and then you need to space things out a bit more.

Don't mean to stir-the-pot, as it were, but, imho, if one thinks they are doing "too much" it becomes obvious in stalled progress. If one is not doing enough...that's when they may be worried because they aren't optimizing their gains.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #58
Chris H Laing

*no fast*

pro - 135g...realized today that without drinking at least 3 cups of whole milk a day, its hard to get enough protein in. Need to fix that.

So I think Im pretty set on switching to all gymnastics for a while. I just need to find a gymnastics facility that will let me work out with their stuff.

This is what I'm planning on doing (a lot taken from sommer's book):
M snatch technique, embed Back Lever -> row variation, embed Planche -> Handstand pushup variation
T embed Front Lever -> Single Leg Squat variation, embed Straddle L -> Straight body variation, CF Wod
W rest, snatch technique
Th embed Back Lever -> pullup variation, embed Planche -> Dip variation, GB Wod
F embed Front Lever -> Deck Squat variation, embed Straddle L -> Hanging Leg Lift variation, Reverse Leg
Lift variation
Sat rest, snatch technique
Sun rest, snatch technique

critiques??

Also, got a years supply worth of fish oil today as a late christmas present from my family. Its this kind -> http://www.vitacost.com/Natural-Fact...ngredientFacts

Took four pills today, two at breakfast and two before bed, which, i think, is 4 grams of fish oil. We'll see how I react to it, and i'll adjust the levels from there.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #59
Chris Salvato

Why are you making the switch?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #60
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Only 600 mg EPA + DHA per serving there -- the other polyunsats aren't worth anything. You can probably take like 6-7 caps to get 4g.

Nothing to really critique there though. However, DO NOT suffer from paralysis of analysis. Pick something to do and do it for 8 weeks/2 months. Do not waver. You're not going to make ANY significant progress by switching routines every couple weeks.