Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #61
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
Why are you making the switch?
Because I feel like if I focus more on one thing, gymnastics, then I'll make better gains, and I feel like gymnastic strength will have a better carry over to oly than the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Nothing to really critique there though. However, DO NOT suffer from paralysis of analysis. Pick something to do and do it for 8 weeks/2 months. Do not waver. You're not going to make ANY significant progress by switching routines every couple weeks.
I know. I'm guilty of that all the time. I'll stick with this gymnastic thing for at least 3 months before reevaluating. I promise
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #62
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Only 600 mg EPA + DHA per serving there -- the other polyunsats aren't worth anything. You can probably take like 6-7 caps to get 4g.

Nothing to really critique there though. However, DO NOT suffer from paralysis of analysis. Pick something to do and do it for 8 weeks/2 months. Do not waver. You're not going to make ANY significant progress by switching routines every couple weeks.
This was why I asked why you were switching, too.

Sounds like your plan of action is ok and that your goals are sound but its important to stick with it!

10-12 weeks is a good amount of time on this program I switched to mostly gymnastics after my knee problems got worse and I have seen great results in the way of weight loss and strength gains
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #63
Chris H Laing

Quote:

Sounds like your plan of action is ok and that your goals are sound but its important to stick with it!
I vow right now that I will not switch off this program until I have been doing it for at least two months.

Quote:
10-12 weeks is a good amount of time on this program
I might stay on it longer depending on how I like it and just do harder variations of the same exercises, maybe switch up the order or something, but 8 weeks is gunna be the bare minimum for it.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #64
Chris Salvato

Yeah, i would think that's a good investment of time. There is no way you would not benefit from this kind of focus, imho.

I find that you need to get really good at listening to your body when you go really heavy on the bodyweight -- it is very...daunting...since, often times, it is very hard to perceive of progress in BW skills. Also, I kind of find it hard to actually tell when you hit the goal itself, like the front lever, etc

Its definitely a lot of fun and you will learn a lot about your body, similar to how SS taught you much about your body.

Your taste in workouts seems similar to mine, so i think you will like it a lot, based on how much I liked it
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #65
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Yeah, i would think that's a good investment of time. There is no way you would not benefit from this kind of focus, imho.
Thats the hope

Quote:
I find that you need to get really good at listening to your body when you go really heavy on the bodyweight -- it is very...daunting...since, often times, it is very hard to perceive of progress in BW skills. Also, I kind of find it hard to actually tell when you hit the goal itself, like the front lever, etc
I know exactly what you mean (explained later in the post...)

Quote:
Your taste in workouts seems similar to mine, so i think you will like it a lot, based on how much I liked it
Sweetness .

*14 hr fast*

pro - 186g pretty decent

Timed myself on the four major holds with my video camera, because I know I start to count faster as the set goes on.

Tuck BL - 17 sec

Tuck PL - 11 sec

Adv Tuck FL - 8 sec

Bent Leg Straddle L - 19 sec

The adv tuck FL is a little iffy, because my hips are lower than my shoulder, but I can hold a tuck fl for an easy 60 sec so I dunno if I should continue to work towards the adv tuck fl and get my hips higher over time, or if i should keep working the tuck fl. (this is how I know what you mean, chris)

Maybe I'll be able to post a vid of the FL later tonight, or in the morning, and you guys can check it out and gimme some insight on what to do about my little predicament.

Tomorrow I'll check out the adv tuck bl, and the straight leg below parallel straddle L...
Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #66
Blair Lowe

yep, focus on working the front lever at hips height with perfect form. according to sommer, once you can do that for 15s you're ready to move on if you can do the next progression for 2-3s besides training it at 50% of max hold.

it's a big step up from going from adv tuck to straddle or one leg or half lay. BIG step.

i find it's a real pain in the butt to not hit my target protein intake without drinking a lot of milk but that is also budgetary concerns.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #67
Chris H Laing

Nice of you to drop by Blair

Also are you blairbob from the gymnasticbodies forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
yep, focus on working the front lever at hips height with perfect form. according to sommer, once you can do that for 15s you're ready to move on if you can do the next progression for 2-3s besides training it at 50% of max hold.
So are you saying I should keep working the regular tuck to keep my hips level?

Quote:
i find it's a real pain in the butt to not hit my target protein intake without drinking a lot of milk but that is also budgetary concerns.
Yea i wish I could eat more food in a day, and that my parents were willing to buy it for me
Old 01-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #68
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Yea i wish I could eat more food in a day, and that my parents were willing to buy it for me
Get a job (or another job) and start going to the store
Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #69
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Get a job (or another job) and start going to the store
Working on it

pro - 167g

Just played around a little today...

3 time through with 60 sec rest between rounds:
Wall HS - 30 sec then without coming out of the HS
1 arm Wall HS - 15 sec each side
20 second elbow lever
20 H2H KB swings
5 free standing HS attempts
20 H2H KB swings

After...

5 x 1R/1L turkish getup

First time trying 1 arm HS...HARD SHIT. When using my right arm I had to assist with the pointer finger on my left hand. For my left arm I could barely get my right hand off the ground, so most of the time I was just trying to lift it up. Got onto my fingertips in the second round, and got onto my fist (somehow?) in the third.

I'm gunna work elbow levers on my play days, because I wanna work towards a 1 armed elbow lever.

Used the 35 lb KB for both the swings and the getups.

Longest fsHS was like 4 seconds...not good. I feel like im not really holding the position, more just falling slowly. Ima try to get into an adult gymnastics class sometime soon, so hopefully they can help me with my handstands, and maybe teach me how to backflip .

I'll prolly have an even lighter day tomorrow, maybe try some flips with kb juggling, and then rest day, and then start my all gymnastic thing. Pretty excited.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #70
Chris H Laing

Another play day...
Had a protein shake for the first time since the beginning of summer today, and now I remember why i stopped drinking them. Blech!!!!

pro - 204g...guess protein shakes are kinda helpful

and on to the "playing"...

3 rounds, 60 sec rest (give or take) between rounds
30 HS wall walks - hard but gunna be helpful for 1 arm strength
20 sec elbow lever
20 sec false grip hang
20 sec elbow lever
30 h2h kb swings

Played around with windmills afterwards, but I cant do them well with my left arm...right arm is pretty good though. Worked up to 25 lb dumbell and thats when the left arm stopped working, so i stopped for the day.

Tried out some capoeira stuff after dinner, because I'm pretty interested in it, and it is difficult stuff. I cant even do a simple ginga (the thing where they dance back and forth but dont do any moves). I feel really awkward doing it, and i have no flow or rhythm...something else to work on.