Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Rachel Izzo

Default severely sprained wrist

So on Saturday, my FIRST day back training with my lifting team again, I did a horribly bad clean and basically completely messed my wrist up. I went to the ER because I was in so much pain, and tomorrow I'm going to a sports med doc. Not broken, but this is the 3rd time I've done this and it's the most excruciating it's been.

I was wondering if I could get some creative ideas on how to keep up all my conditioning while it's healing (because I have a feeling it's going to be a while). I'm training for junior nationals in march, and want to keep up my over all strength (which would be taken care of by squatting, which I plan to do a ton of), but also wanted to throw in some other exercises that wouldn't hurt the leg strength so much, but still made me feel like I was doing something productive. Anything involving my right hand is out of the question, so I'm at a loss as to what other supplementary exercises I could do.

Ideas anyone? Supplementary strength, light crossfit that wouldn't hurt the lifting ... anything would be greatly appreciated, because I like to work hard and don't want this to kill all my strength, speed, and conditioning.
Rachel Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Can you put your injured hand flat on the ground as in a pushup?

Can you hang from a pullup bar or do pullups?

Just trying to get an idea for what you are capable of doing.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Tabata air squats.

Sounds like you need to do some specific work on your wrist strength and flexibility if this is a recurring issue.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sprinting.

Possibly pistols.. dunno if that'll mess ya up though.

Really depends on what you can do with that wrist though...
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

Here is a thread that I was involved in on another forum that has a bunch of different ideas.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Yuen Sohn

In addition to the above, perhaps some one-arm dumbell work as well.

Dan John's "Broken Wrist" workout
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/s...php?tid/18834/
(about halfway into the first post).
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Rachel Izzo

Well actually it's most likely broken. scaphoid. which means a cast up past my elbow. so anything with the hand is out of the question.

one armed stuff is looking like the only possibility. that and squatting and sprint work. great. just great.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

You're gonna have to make sure that the arm doesn't atrophy too much. Doing opposite one arm side work will have to do... but you have also have to maintain equal shoulder mobility for your snatches and jerks. Keep this in mind.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Emily Mattes

Rachel, would you be able to do grip work with that hand, even if it's just taking a tennis ball between the tips of the fingers and squeezing it? Also, if you have ever watched the videos of Kyle Maynard on the Crossfit website, I wonder if it would be possible to do pulls on a ring the way he does--slip you arms through the rings themselves up to the elbow, balance them at a point on your upper arms, then pull yourself up by pulling your arms down. It's difficult to describe, I will edit this post with a link to the video if I can find it.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the movement I'm thinking of. It would probably scrape your arms up a bit, though--maybe you could do it in a long-sleeved shirt.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Rachel Izzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Rachel, would you be able to do grip work with that hand, even if it's just taking a tennis ball between the tips of the fingers and squeezing it? Also, if you have ever watched the videos of Kyle Maynard on the Crossfit website, I wonder if it would be possible to do pulls on a ring the way he does--slip you arms through the rings themselves up to the elbow, balance them at a point on your upper arms, then pull yourself up by pulling your arms down. It's difficult to describe, I will edit this post with a link to the video if I can find it.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the movement I'm thinking of. It would probably scrape your arms up a bit, though--maybe you could do it in a long-sleeved shirt.
Emily,

Any sort of movement with that hand is pretty much out of the question at this point. I'm in a cast that encompasses my thumb and goes all the way up to my shoulder
At this point, it's looking a lot like one armed work, in addition to the incredible amount of squatting I'm going to be doing.