Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Garrett Smith

Brian,
It would have been helpful if at the start of this whole thread, you might have said something to the effect of:
"I've heard about Z-Health, but it's too expensive. Is there anything out there that is comparable AND cheaper?"

Cheaper - Yes. There's tons of crap out there. I'm personally always posting the foot drills link, which is a free PDF.

Comparable - No, not IMO. Knowing the intricacies of the system as I do, nothing out there is as precise and far-reaching as the Z-Health mobility exercises/system. Everything else is quite sloppy, as I said before. Your CF affiliate likely recommends it for a reason, like I do.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Chris H Laing

So I got the neural warm up pdf file from my friends dad, whose had it for a while but hasn't used it.

Anywho, I was wondering if this kind of warmup would work well for everything athletic, such as a metcon, powerlifting, or oly lifting. Some people say that the CF warmup is the way to go for metcon. People, like Mark Rippetoe suggest reps with lower weight to warm up for powerlifting, and it is suggested on this site that DROM warmups are the best for oly lifting. I've also read that the best warm ups start with monostructural work, and move on to the more specific things.

So would the z health neural warm up take the place of all of these? Or would it be performed somewhere in the midst of one of these warmups?

For example, using an oly lifter:
rowing
z health
DROM
specific lift warmup

Sorry if this question is hard to understand. I'm just confused as to how to use the neural warm up most effectively, in relation to other types of warmups, or as a stand alone.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
So would the z health neural warm up take the place of all of these? Or would it be performed somewhere in the midst of one of these warmups?

For example, using an oly lifter:
rowing
z health
DROM
specific lift warmup

Sorry if this question is hard to understand. I'm just confused as to how to use the neural warm up most effectively, in relation to other types of warmups, or as a stand alone.
Chris, I PM'd you by the way. If I knew what types of exercises Z-health entailed I may be able to help. But Z-health is still very much a mystery to me and this thread I started hasn't been much help.

Apparently, Z-health is some top secret joint mobility thing that you have to pay a grip to find out about. From what I understand, I think Z-health is very similar to DROM and you may be able to substitute for your DROM.

How is the rowing working for you as warmup? I tried rowing a few times for warmup but found that a very light row doesn't work very well because I get little or no resistance from the machine. I dropped rowing from my warmup routine and generally do some walking lunges, planks, PU's (just a couple), situps (just a couple), air-squats, etc. to get warm then I go into my own version of DROM, then onto a Burgener warmup or something.
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Garrett Smith

Brian,
I wish I could make it easier for you to comprehend, particularly the differences between Z-Health and most other systems. On the surface, most people would say they are all similar. It's in the finer points, like precision of movement, that they differ. I did Google "Z-Health review" and saw quite a few reviews of sessions/DVDs/seminars that you may find of more value than my input.

Chris, I can only answer your question by mentioning what I personally do. I do my joint mobility (Z-Health) stuff first, followed by any movement-specific warm-ups, then followed by any *necessary* stretching, like PVC dislocates, prior to my major exercises (typically the OLs or squats of some type).

I don't like a lot of warm-ups personally, I would never do them for a "lighter" metcon, even if it improved my time.

I think the only workouts I don't do my Z-Health stuff before is my hill walking on the weekends, and that's simply because I consider walking to be an activity that puts less "wear and tear" on the body if things aren't working as smoothly as they could (as opposed to OL). That, and the fact that even I get a bit lazy on the weekends--watching "The Soup" before walking does my body as much good as one Z-Health session, I'm sure... :-P
Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Brian,
I wish I could make it easier for you to comprehend, particularly the differences between Z-Health and most other systems. On the surface, most people would say they are all similar. It's in the finer points, like precision of movement, that they differ.

Chris, I can answer your question best by mentioning what I personally do. I do my joint mobility (Z-Health) stuff first, followed by any movement-specific warm-ups, then followed by any *necessary* stretching, like PVC dislocates, prior to my major exercises (typically the OLs or squats of some type).
I get it Dr. G. You have definitly sold me on Z-health. I am going to be adding some Z-health to my training repertoire soon. I have a buddy who wants to go halves with me on a DVD. We are currently debating whether to go R-Phase or neural warm-up. I personally want the simplified version of the neural warm-up because to me they already did all the work for me and cut the R-phase down to a condensed 10 minute routine I can do at the beginnning of every workout.

I was being sarcastic above. But apparently, I understand it better than you think because my advice above was the same as yours. It sounded like Z-health was something that could go on the front end of a warmup routine and, in Chris's example, possible take the place of the DROM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Garrett Smith

Brian,
Sorry if I overexplained. Ask my wife, I have a tendency towards that.

Maybe I can help you to save some $$ here. Get the R-Phase, PM me when you receive it, then I can tell you which moves from the R-Phase repertoire make up the Neural Warm-up. I can also point out the 4 "high-payoff" areas (the program minimum, as it were).

For lack of a better explanation, Z-Health moves done big, fast, and (typically) sloppy are DROM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Chris H Laing

Quote:
I do my joint mobility (Z-Health) stuff first, followed by any movement-specific warm-ups, then followed by any *necessary* stretching, like PVC dislocates, prior to my major exercises (typically the OLs or squats of some type).
So its ok to do joint mobility work, like z health, even if your not warm?

Also, would legs swings and the like be considered as *necessary* stretches, because theres nothing in the neural warmup to loosen up the hammies or quads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I personally want the simplified version of the neural warm-up because to me they already did all the work for me and cut the R-phase down to a condensed 10 minute routine I can do at the beginnning of every workout.
Looking at the manual, I am pretty sure it would take longer than 10 min, because they say 3-7 reps on everything, and theres 22 exercises...
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
So its ok to do joint mobility work, like z health, even if your not warm?

Also, would legs swings and the like be considered as *necessary* stretches, because theres nothing in the neural warmup to loosen up the hammies or quads?
Chris, I personally like this websites philosophy on warmup exercises in particular this one which is called knee hug lunge elbow to instep (aka the world's greatest stretch), http://www.coreperformance.com/video...Endurance.html, WFS. They refer to warmup as "Movement Prep". This is the kind of stuff you will see football players doing during pre-game warmups. No static stretching, just one to two second stretch and holds while performing lunges, squats, rotations, etc.

They also have backward lunges w/ twist, sumo squat lunges, and a lot of other good exercises you can use for warmup. I think these exercises are very much along the lines of the Warm-up Moves by Michael rutherford DVD which Greg Everett recommends in his resources.

BTW, the Movement Prep exercises are meant to be done in sets of 6 - 10 reps.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
Garrett Smith

I do my Z-Health stuff first, yes. Then again, I live in sunny Arizona.

If I were going to do anything prior to it, I'd likely do two minutes of jump rope.

I do three reps per drill, and I've cut the Z-Health portion down to about 6 drills most days (plus some other non-Z-Health stuff)
Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #20
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Brian,
Sorry if I overexplained. Ask my wife, I have a tendency towards that.

Maybe I can help you to save some $$ here. Get the R-Phase, PM me when you receive it, then I can tell you which moves from the R-Phase repertoire make up the Neural Warm-up. I can also point out the 4 "high-payoff" areas (the program minimum, as it were).

For lack of a better explanation, Z-Health moves done big, fast, and (typically) sloppy are DROM.
You didn't over explain. I am just giving you a hard time with all this super-secret Z-health stuff. I am definitly going to take you up on the above offer. That helped make our decision a lot easier. We'll opt for R-phase.