Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default Kids Sport Gene Testing

Thanks to today's news
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/sp...nted=2&_r=1&hp
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Emily Mattes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
“I think it would prevent a lot of parental frustration,” she said.
People who think this way should not be parents. If you are considering getting genetic testing to determine what sport to shove your kid into in hopes that in twenty years you'll get accolades for raising a star athlete, you are missing the point and should not be a parent.

Jesus Christ, why don't we just take kids out of their homes and into mandatory training camps like the Chinese do? I mean, they're winning all those gold medals! That's what matters, right?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Daniel Labuz
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 138
Default

You can throw any child into any sport but if they don't want to be there then it's pretty much wasted effort
__________________
The Greatest Gift in Life is Freedom
Daniel Labuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Dr. Foster suggested another way to determine if a child will be good at sprint and power sports. “Just line them up with their classmates for a race and see which ones are the fastest,” he said.
The only smart thing said in that 2 pages of nonsense
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If you are considering getting genetic testing to determine what sport to shove your kid into in hopes that in twenty years you'll get accolades for raising a star athlete, you are missing the point and should not be a parent.
Exactly.

There are many character lessons and benefits you get from playing sports as a youngster, whether or not you do anything with it. One of those lessons might be that you suck at certain things but can still have fun doing it.
__________________
"It should be more like birthday party than physics class." | Log | 70's Big
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
One of those lessons might be that you suck at certain things but can still have fun doing it.
Or we could learn we suck at many things....but that is why there are beer leagues for fun.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Joe Hart
Senior Member
 
Joe Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lino Lakes, MN
Posts: 327
Default

I am hoping the character thing kicks in with my oldest son (6). He is wrestling for the first time. He went to a six night intro camp and said that he liked it. So we signed him up for the season. On the premis that yes wrestling can suck sometimes and yes you can get hurt, but it is also pretty fun. He has gotten dinged in some fashion almost every night we had practice. He was upset about it but he didn't pack it in right then. So I guess we are getting somewhere. We agreed that we would give the WHOLE season a try and if at the end he didn't like it we would move on. He fancies himself quite the sportsman. He has the desire but not the natural tools and mind set that his little brother has. I am not sure his little brother gives a crap about sprorts. Then again what should I expect from a 4 year old. I am happy that he knows which team is USC when they play. I think we will be sampling quite a few sports, which is fine with me. Not more than one a season though. I haven't lost my mind.

Anyone else have some insight to thier children and sports? I can always use some pointers that might apply to mine.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hart View Post
I am hoping the character thing kicks in with my oldest son (6). He is wrestling for the first time. He went to a six night intro camp and said that he liked it. So we signed him up for the season. On the premis that yes wrestling can suck sometimes and yes you can get hurt, but it is also pretty fun. He has gotten dinged in some fashion almost every night we had practice. He was upset about it but he didn't pack it in right then. So I guess we are getting somewhere. We agreed that we would give the WHOLE season a try and if at the end he didn't like it we would move on. He fancies himself quite the sportsman. He has the desire but not the natural tools and mind set that his little brother has. I am not sure his little brother gives a crap about sprorts. Then again what should I expect from a 4 year old. I am happy that he knows which team is USC when they play. I think we will be sampling quite a few sports, which is fine with me. Not more than one a season though. I haven't lost my mind.

Anyone else have some insight to thier children and sports? I can always use some pointers that might apply to mine.
I say let them be the guide...
Oh I am a proud Mom of 4 and grandma to 2 so I know what I am talking about.
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Enrique Billington
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
People who think this way should not be parents. If you are considering getting genetic testing to determine what sport to shove your kid into in hopes that in twenty years you'll get accolades for raising a star athlete, you are missing the point and should not be a parent.

Jesus Christ, why don't we just take kids out of their homes and into mandatory training camps like the Chinese do? I mean, they're winning all those gold medals! That's what matters, right?
I disagree. People force their children to go to school and get good grades regardless of whether or not they want to do it, and raise their children with the dream of putting them through college, without the child's will, should they have their rights as parents revoked? They do genetic testing in ex-combloc nations, in the form of muscle biopsy and physical tests, in fact Pyrros Dimas is involved at the top level in a testing program like that in Greece, where the kids can voluntarily participate. I think that, if a child is interested in it, why not?
Enrique Billington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator