Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Rayne Gray

Default Critique my snatch please

Hello All,

I've been lurking a while trying to glean as much info as I can and have been reading Greg's book in an effort to learn how to snatch. I took some video (WFS) and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Ya'll
Rayne
Rayne Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
George Mounce

Not in any particular order (great music btw):

Your shoulders are hunched forward. Keep those shoulder blades tight.

Your hips seem way too high as well at the start, you are doing more of a powerlifting deadlift positional start. Get the hips down and flare the knees to the side.

Your hips are raising before the shoulders. It all needs to come up together - more than likely a product of the hips being too high.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Yuen Sohn

Rayne,
What George said. Aim for a better posture from the start (think: big chest, arched back) and a consistent back angle as you pull from the floor. Your hips are rising too fast relative to everything else and you end up being slouched over the bar.

As for the 2nd pull, I think what's holding you back the most at this moment is that you're using too much back extension and under-utilizing your legs and hips.

Check out the slow motion portions of this vid and notice how the back angle stays constant off the floor, the knees re-bend when the bar gets above knee level, and the aggressive extension of the legs and hips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXEWNE26WU0

Fix your positioning from the floor to your 2nd pull and get more lower-body involvement in the lift and I have no doubt you'll be good for a lot more.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yuen Sohn : 01-11-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: less blahblah
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Rayne Gray

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I feel somewhat awkward in the pulling position and seem to default to a PL deadlift. I will work on this. Thanks again

Rayne
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
John Filippini

I would imagine that the things that other people mentioned will be more critical to improvement, but it's also important to keep your head neutral. You're looking down when you start the pull and way up when you hit extension. Just pick a place on the horizon and look through it for the entire lift, it'll help your balance. (This will also be easier to do and more comfortable when you lower your hips in the starting position.)
John Filippini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Carl Chia

Your back is rounded. Don't do that.. keep it in maximal extension. Try to achieve a neutral arch throughout. Make a big chest, head up, lats tight.. And keep the hips lower when you start the lift. Fix the fundamentals first.

Like this:
Carl Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Rayne Gray

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I really appreciate all of the advice.

I am going to hit it hard and focus on the fundamental movements.

Cheers
Rayne