Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Dave Ogilbee

Default Sots Press Problems

Hi guys. Noticed something the other day at the gym that I probably should have noticed before, but didn't, maybe you all could give me some pointers. I decided to do some Sots press work after my initial lifts. I hadn't done them in a long time and figured I was due. I started with the pvc and did a few reps with behind the neck - back squat form, snatch width grip on the bar. When I moved to an empty bar however, I found that I just couldn't get enough strength to lift the bar at the bottom of the squat. I glanced over to the side mirror and checked the alignment of the bar at the bottom; bar over the arches following the "imaginary line" through the body. But in order for me to press the bar, my upper body wanted to lean forward and push the bar out front over the knees, not straight up. I grabbed a 12" box and placed it behind my butt in case I tettered backwards and went back to the pvc to try to get my alignment in order. What seemed to be happening was that my shoulders just did not want to press the weight that deep in the squat. I decided to try sots-pressing at different areas, starting with a fully standing behind the neck press and moving down into a squat position. I finally got to about a 90 degree angle half-squat pressing with an empty bar before my forward lean started to come in to play.

I know having a video of this would help tremendously in trying to explain whats going on, but I don't have a cam at the moment, apologies. Anyone have any ideas on correction? Maybe a strength imbalance somewhere? Try getting more comfortable in the deep squat position? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

That you said "back squat position" makes me think you're just leaning too far forward. You should be in overhead squat position (not that those two things should be much different in regards to weightlifting). So yes, sit your ass on your heels and get as upright as possible.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Your scapular mobility in retraction (from depressed to extended) may also be lacking.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Dave Ogilbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Your scapular mobility in retraction (from depressed to extended) may also be lacking.
That's what it seems like to me. I've been trying to work in Yoga and stretching in my off days in order to release tension and gain some movement in areas. My shoulders have always tended to be tight so i've wanted to focus more on trying to gain flexibility in and around that area.

Thanks for the posts guys. Appreciate the input.

-George S. Halas
Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Oops, extended was supposed to be 'elevated.'

Also, try these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V2Exzb324

And do some band dislocations.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Out of curiousity, is there any guideline for loading on Sots Press? i.e. a person can snatch X so they should be able to Sots press Y% of X ?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Dave Ogilbee

Interesting exercise. Thanks for the link Steve, I'll look more into it. Site I found had a wealth of information on corrective exercises that'l probably come in handy in the future.

As far as the Sots Press goes, I'll stick with practicing getting into proper alignment before even attempting anything heavyer. Not really sure if there is a Sots / Snatch weight correlation, but I just try to work with whatever feels heavy but still allows for good form.

-George S. Halas