Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
You could try the stretch with your foot hanging off the edge of a curb. I was doing this two days ago, as I locked myself out of my car after a workout and had nothing else to do. The slipping off the wall issue is not there with this version.

I did it both standing and leaning against my car. Both worked very well.
She did.. off a step and against a wall.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Ken Urakawa

FWIW, I use a billiard ball for calf work. The tennis balls are just too squishy, and don't dig in there enough. Golf balls are a little too small. And I didn't have a lacrosse ball laying around...

There are some active ROM stretches against the wall that I've used in the past, I think I got them from the NASM bag o' tricks. I'll see if I can dig them up later.
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
Emily Mattes

That would be great Ken, thanks.

Garrett, I think you might have me confused with Rachel!
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
Garrett Smith

Oh, my bad. Apologies.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #15
Allen Yeh

Bumping this thread with this:

http://ericcressey.com/frozenanklesuglysquatting

It's been almost a month have you made any progress with your ankles?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #16
Garrett Smith

Nice post, Allen.

Emily and Chris, if you do truly have an anatomical issue in the ankle and you want to do OL a lot, you may need to stick with higher-heeled OL shoes, front squats, and box back squats (to a depth that your ankle flexibility allows good form, if the high heeled OL shoes don't let you back squat normally).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
Emil Nielsen

Default Barefoot Science

I can only say one thing get some barefoot science soles.

I have a Thread regarding Squat Depth with my hips hurting and ankles refusing to go anywhere. I had tried everything and used the advice i got from people and none of it worked. It still hurted like **** when i squatted down. So it just gave up and dropped it. I then brought the soles and gave them a try and now there is no pain at all in my hips and my ankles has opened up. Im only using level 2 of the implants you put in the sole.

I had worked the squat for a year or so and starting to feel a bit deformed No matter what I did nothing helped (mobilty and flexibility stuff) Im litteraly a enclopedia of t-nation mobility articles) And then im change soles in my shoes and after a month it just stopped. Im still not mobile enough to squat all the way down. But now its just stretching and using the advices i got in my previous post.
Emil Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Blair Lowe

For myself and the kids I coach I generally do this in our WU/joint mobility/prevention:

Heel toe raises. On ground if we can't get access to doing them on the beams ( forefoot on beam, heels off ). We 10 feet together, heels together toes out, toes together heels out, 10 on each foot with the other leg in the air.

Sometimes we do heel to toe walks if we have room. We also practice walking on the foot on the outside edge for say 20-40 feet and walking on the inside of the foot. Then we roll our foot from outside to inside and back 15x.

We generally do foot circles both ways 10x.

We hop 40 feet across lines on the floor side to side with the arm circling backwards. This is coordination and warmup for the next drill. Small hops building strength for the next drill which is hopping on one foot for distance. Depending on the height of the gymnast, it's good to do 6 hops across the floor, maybe 7 or 5. We do 1 or 2 passes of these on each foot. Very important to build up that ankle strength for tumbling and vault.

Also bare in mind, that for the last 30 years, I've probably been barefoot 75% of that time or more. I never liked shoes or socks. I wear sandals when I have to outside if it's cold ( cold feet on concrete or asphalt is bad because it sucks away your body heat ) and I've been lucky as a gym coach to generally be bare foot when I'm coaching though I have worked other jobs at the same time requiring shoes or dress shoes.

My ankles are probably very mobile but weaker than I would prefer since doing the one foot bounds for distance usually show they are weak. I've also rolled my ankles tumbling a lot which is common for gymnasts and this has required time off from doing stuff on feet and landings.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote