Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #111
Ryan Brown

2/10/09

Rest Day

3rd RD in a row. Feeling sick. Sore throat and kind of mucus-y. As today nears it's end, I'm feeling better. I'll get good sleep tonight and hopefully have this thing knocked out in the morning. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if I take another rest day tomorrow for safety's sake.

Wow, this Crossfit Strength Bias thing has REALLY blown up. It's on the CF message boards, the PMenu message boards, it's got 60+ comments on the journal article and Jeff Martin just did an interview about it on Crossfit Radio. The more I think about it, the more I like the template that CFSB has laid out.

When I first thought of diving into CFSB, I began criticizing myself for being unable to stick to one program for more than 2 weeks. Then I realized that in execution this won't seem very different from what I'm already doing. It'll just be laid out in a manner that has already been tested by others and proven to work. Of course, I've made some adjustments to it to suit my own goals. The metcons will be shorter and heavier (Gant style) And I'll be doing 2 on, 1 off, 3 on, 1 off. This should help me with recovery as opposed to my current 3/1 split.

I'm still going to be doing PL/FL progressions twice weekly, and I'll be doing full ROM HSPU's once a week, combined with a Barbell pressing movement once a week, to develop my overhead pressing capacity. In it's pure form, CFSB calls for ME Front Squats on day 5. I'm subbing this out for an O-lift (alternating Cleans, Snatches, Jerks, Split Cleans and Split Snatches week-to-week). And, as I mentioned in my previous post, it includes a good deal of high rep strength-endurance work via 12-20 rep sets. I'm especially excited to see what these do for my benchmark WOD times. I'll start this sucker on Monday and we'll see where it takes me.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #112
Ari Kestler

So are you planning on using the main page WODs and just adjusting for time... i.e. if barbara is during a day where you should be doing a 10 min metcon, you shorten it to 3 rounds?

Or doing heavy grace vs normal grace, etc...?

Or are you planning to come up with your own metcon?

As much press as the article is getting, it's still a little frustrating in that 1) it's nothing new - other than a) set a PR, stop for the day and b) high rep lifting after, 2) there isn't some sort of CFE-like to complement the mainpage... it's frustrating for people like me that are probably intermediate in strength but still feel pretty inexperienced when it comes to programming.

Do you think your increased need for rest days has anything to do with trying to run 3/1 on 8 blocks of carbs? I'm not criticizing just genuinely interested since 3/1 runs me into the ground because I eat in a similar fashion...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #113
Daniel Mays

Hey Ryan,

Strong work all around. As an aside, was your nickname at CFNC mini-T? I think you are him but I'm not sure if I remember your real name, since no one ever uses their real names at that place.

Hopefully you stick to that new Strength Template and it gives you some gains, I believe the SS and Texas methods are better used in a strict power lifting sense and don't lend themselves to mixing in other things as well as some of the other Strength biased programs, just in my experience.

Flash was my nickname by the way if you don't remember my real name.

Danny
Daniel Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #114
Ryan Brown

All good questions, Ari, some of which I still needed to ask myself.

I defininitely agree with most of the Pmenu community in that this style of training is nothing new. It's really barely even a change from my template from the past 3 weeks aside from, like you said, the high-rep lifting. That's one of the things I liked the most about it because I see it's applicability to Crossfit benchmark WODs.

I think that one of the reasons that it is getting more attention than Gant's hybrid is because it really lays it all out for you with very specific instructions. Gant's template left a lot of blanks for the potential user to fill in and I think that for some people less familiar with programming, CFSB was presented in a more user friendly manner. Or it could simply be that CFSB was published in the CFJ and Gant's Hybrid Template wasn't. Who knows and more importantly, who cares? It's all open source fitness and I truly believe that the guys behind these experiments just want to see people meeting their training goals efficiently. Personally, I'm just glad to see people warming up to this idea that strength is a REALLY important part of Crossfit.

I agree with you in that it would be nice for them to start a CFE style website that gives you a WOD to add to the HQ WODs. It's nice to just check a website everyday and let somebody else do all the programming work. Maybe in the future such a website will be created. With the amount of buzz this thing has gotten, it wouldn't surprise me.

As for my metcon on the program, I'm thinking that I will kind of play it by ear. If the HQ WOD is something that I can easily adjust to fit my time-limit for the day, then I might do that. If not, I'll just conjure up something. I foresee a lot of double tabatas for my "under 10 minute" days.

Regarding the super low carbs, I've heard that if your carbs are too low you will see and feel it in your metcon performances and so far, that just hasn't happened to me. Since I've begun doing metcon again after SS, my times have just gotten better and better. I've posted PRs on several benchmark WODs. When I first came back from SS, I would be laid out for 15 minutes after a 10 minute WOD, nauseas and with a headache. Lately, however, my recovery time has been getting much shorter. I collapse on the ground at the end of a WOD and I'm back to "normal" in 5 minutes. So, I don't think the carbs have been a problem. Then, again I haven't really been doing the 3/1 schedule consistently for very long. Who knows, maybe if I continued down that road for a few more weeks, I would have ended up under-recovered and saw a decline in my performance. Until I see my performance decline, I'm just going to keep up with my 8 daily carb blocks. I think the 2/1/3/1 schedule that CFSB lays out, along with the deliberately shorter metcon sessions, should help that.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #115
Ryan Brown

Hey, Danny. I am indeed Mini T. Are you still training at CFNC? I try to train there whenever I'm home from school. In fact, I might be in there this Saturday morning.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #116
Daniel Mays

I am indeed, just got back about 3 weeks ago after taking a couple months off due to working and school. It is so nice to be able to clean with bumpers, something mental about it for me. I started a log on this forum as well just the other day, going to focus on Olympic lifting mainly with 2-3 Workouts of the Day sprinkled in there alongside the strength work.

Good luck with your training
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #117
Ryan Brown

You too, man! I'll make sure to check in on your log every now and then. It's always cool to see people branching out from standard CF and trying to blend in other stuff.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #118
Ryan Brown

2/11/09

Rest Day...again.

Still just a SLIGHTLY sore throat and I'm playing it safe. My lack of training is really starting to make me feel shitty.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #119
Ryan Brown

2/12/09

Rest Day number 4. I went to the infirmary today. They did some tests. It's not a bacterial thing, so no antibiotics. They pretty much told me to wait it out and come back in a few days if it doesn't improve. They did give me some cough syrup with codeine in it, so sleep should improve greatly!

My weightlifting shoes arrived today from Rogue Fitness and I'm itching to try them out. I'm planning on going home this weekend and I'll try to do a WOD at CFNC on Friday and possibly Saturday.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #120
Daniel Mays

hope you feel better, don't think I'll make it in to CFNC this weekend due to hockey games. Let me know how those shoes are, I'm planning on buying some from Geoff if they fit me.

Danny