Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #21
Ryan Brown

Wednesday, 12/17/08

Rest Day

SO sore from yesterday.

How is that knee coming along?

First Steve and now you. It looks like I'm next so I better be careful. Oh, and I picked up a bottle of ZMA today. How many milligrams do you take everyday? The bottle says 3 capsules daily, but I figured I'd ask you because it's in the companies best interest for me to use it up fast when I may not really need that much.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #22
Chris Salvato

Re: Knee

hah maybe you are next :P Nah, I had patellar tendinitis for years but let it just go thinking it would never get better or get better on its own -- dumb. Its one of the reasons my squat progress halted so abruptly. Muscle imbalances caused problems with my right hip and eventually the loading was so great it would even trigger sharp pain at the bottom of the squat....got so bad all of the core lifts aggravated it....under the Care of an ART therapist now and I can tell we are making progress -- baby steps though

Re: ZMA

Steve and I both follow the recommended dosage. I think thats the dosage that was tested on the football players, but im not sure. Probably best to ask Dr. G here.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #23
Allen Yeh

Recommended dosage for the win, in fact IMO the recommended dosage for women needs to be bumped up to be equal for the men.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #24
Ryan Brown

Thursday, 12/18/08

Texas Method

3x3 Squat @ 280

3x3 Bench Press @ 155

My Squat/Press recovery days on Texas method are supposed to be my heavy DL days, but I didn't have time to get to that. But, that's the plan right now. 3 days a week (M/W/F or T/R/S) on Texas Method for Squat and Bench/Press, with 1x5 heavy DL on the middle day. Then, WODs sprinkled throughout. If I find issues with recovery, the WODs will be the first to go.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #25
Ryan Brown

Friday, 12/19/08

Rest Day

Saturday, 12/20/08

I took a trip to Hickory, NC this weekend to go to a big party. Did a WOD at Crossfit Hickory. Lots o' fun.

"Helen"
3 Rounds:
400m run
21 KB swings (53 lbs)
12 Pullups

9:33 (PR)

Sunday, 12/21/08

Rest Day. Returned home from Hickory. My diet wasn't as tight as usual this weekend due to traveling. I'd say 1 out of 4 meals was pretty shitty. The rest weren't too bad. My sleep really suffered though. I got 6-7 hours all weekend. And Saturday night I drank a lot of alcohol. I should be able to get 10 hours sleep tonight and starting tomorrow I'll be back on track with the diet.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
Ryan Brown

Monday, 12/22/08

Texas Method
5x5 Squat @ 315

5x5 Press @ 110

Metcon
Max Rounds in 3 minutes, Rest 1 Minute
Repeat for a total of 5 intervals

3 Power Cleans, 95 lbs
6 Push-ups
9 Squats

Total:28 rounds
Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #27
Ryan Brown

Tuesday, 12/23/08

Rest Day

Still feeling sleep deprived. I'll try to catch up tonight. I'm thinking of putting some black trash bags over the windows in my room so that the sunlight doesn't wake me up at 10, like it usually does.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #28
Ryan Brown

Wednesday, 12/24/08

Texas Method
(Recovery Day)

3x3 Squat @ 250 lbs

3x3 Press @ 90 lbs

1x5 DL @ 345 lbs

I like placing my 1x5 of Heavy DL's on my recovery day. It seems to fit well, especially in regards to my schedule. The 3x3 of squat and press go by really fast, leaving me plenty of time for DLs.

Ever since this weekend I've been feeling tired. I got 8.5 hours sleep last night, however I woke up after 7.5 hrs, then went back to sleep. I think that interruption threw me off. The ZMA does seem to be doing the trick though. I've had dreams that I remembered for 3 nights straight. I may need to get a few 9 hr nights under my belt to feel good again. I look at Steve Low's log and see his sleep schedule is all over the place. I don't know how he performs the way he does. My hat's off to him.

Diet has been good. Starting to play it by ear a bit more with the zone. I weighed and measured for a month and I've got a pretty good handle on portion sizes. I'm still leaning out slowly but surely. I haven't been mentioning it in my log, but I've been throwing in 15 hour fasts a few times a week. 15 hours is easy for me if I do it from 9 pm to noon the next day.

I'm considering taking next week off. I don't think I've had a full rest week since mid-October. I think it might be beneficial.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #29
Steven Low
Super Moderator

lol, yeah I got off once and now I'm just blah. Should be fixed tonight going into tomorrow and stuff though hopefully....

Break would probably be good for you though if you haven't rested in a couple months.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #30
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post

Ever since this weekend I've been feeling tired. I got 8.5 hours sleep last night, however I woke up after 7.5 hrs, then went back to sleep. I think that interruption threw me off. The ZMA does seem to be doing the trick though.

I don't think I've had a full rest week since mid-October. I think it might be beneficial.
Constant fatigue even with plenty of sleep, decreased performance (your presses, for example, being stalled for months), altered sleep patterns, no rest week in over 6 weeks...sounds like overreaching/overtraining to me.

Have you been having any depressed feelings? Injuries flaring up? Irritable? Decreased appetite? Compulsive desire to train? I think the symptoms you have are enough to warrant a week off...but any others would be a sure sign you need a break.

I say take the week off, stop fasting, eat like a horse...then get back in the game with your normal routine after 7 days. I would put down $500 bucks that it would do you a world of good and you might even PR on a few lifts.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote