Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #31
Ryan Brown

Thursday, December 25th

All the things you've said have been SPOT on, Chris. I have been irritable and lost my appetite over the past 3 days. I feel "out of it" even as I type this very post. Also, I carry the cold sore virus and it tends to flare up in times of stress or when the seasons change and sure enough, I got one 2 days ago. So, I'm going to try to go through with my Texas Method intensity day on Friday (1RM on Back Squat and Shoulder Press). Then I'll rest up until the 5th of January.

I can't wait to feel good again.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #32
Chris Salvato

Good show -- you should feel better in like 2 or 3 days of solid rest...will probably even get restless and try to train -- after a day or two in a rest week i am doing pike presses (which are still high intensity for me) in my spare time just because i get bored :P

But stick it out and rest a week, let your body supercomp. After that, hit the gym and ease back into it -- in my experience, if you jump back in and try to PR or go high intensity AT ALL right away on the first day, you get really sore the next day and don't perform as well.

IMHO, go light the first day back...maybe warmup sets of all the core lifts and a 5-10 minute metcon...then go heavy on your second day back into the gym. I would be eager to see if new PRs on any lifts!
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #33
Ryan Brown

Friday, 12/26/08

Rest Day

I didn't manage to get to the gym today for my BS/SP 1RM. I'm not concerned about that though. I have a feeling I would have just under-performed, confirming my over-reached status. So, I'm officially in my rest week. I will resume training next Friday with a short metcon and some light Squat/DL/Press as Chris suggested. The following Monday I'll resume training for real.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #34
Ryan Brown

Saturday, 12/27/08 - Monday, 12/29/08

Rest days

It feels good to feel good again. Can't wait to hit a WOD on Friday.

I received a copy of Rip's "Practical Programming" as a Christmas gift. I've just been reading that a lot. SO rich in info. It frustrates me that this book is not a part of the curriculum in App's Exercise Science department.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #35
Ryan Brown

Tuesday,12/30/08 - Thursday, 1/1/09

Rest Days

They just announced the Regional Qualifiers for the Crossfit Games. I have to be one of the top 6 males in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee. That's a tall order.

I'm STOKED!

I've never been more motivated to train.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #36
Alex Bond

I'm doing Texas method as well, and I'm about as strong as you are, and I'd like to make a suggestion. You might want to try putting the deadlifts on the friday/saturday low volume-high intensity day instead of the middle rest day. You should do whatever works for you, but I found that deadlifts were too taxing and if I did them on the rest day, it wasn't really a rest day. Sure, deadlifting after heavy squats sucks, and I can't deadlift as much as I perhaps could otherwise, but I preferred to just destroy myself completely on that last day and rest a bit more in the middle of the week, since you have two days of rest after the heavy day. This might be something to try, or you could continue doing it the way that you have if it works for you.

Good luck on making it to the Crossfit games!
Alex Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #37
Alex Bond

Just looked through the whole thing and some of the CF log - those are some brutal met-cons! Good times!
Alex Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #38
Ryan Brown

Thanks, Alex!

Are you trying for the games as well? Do you keep a log somewherez?

Regarding the Texas Method stuff, I might move the 1x5 DLs to the intensity day, because they do seem to suit that day by their nature. I don't really know what "works for me" on Texas method because I just started recently, so I'm absolutely open to suggestions.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #39
Ryan Brown

Friday, 1/2/09

A quick met-con. I scaled up the weight but left the volume the same. I probably should have taken off a round. Oh well.

3 Rounds:
15 SDHP, 115 lbs
200m Row
15 OHS, 115 lbs
200m Row

19:38
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #40
Ryan Brown

Saturday, 1/3/09

Rest Day

I didn't have time for a lengthy post yesterday, so I'll mention all this now.

Big Fat Nutrition Post

After during and after yesterdays WOD I felt AWFUL. I really hit the wall during that one. I was laid out for 15 minutes afterwards on the verge of vomiting. I couldn't understand what had led to this. I thought it might have been a slight loss of metcon capacity due to the week off. Another possibility that crossed my mind is that it may be time for me to up my fat on the zone. I ruled that out because I'm still at ~12% body fat. I decided the main culprit is that during my week off I really took my carbs down a LOT because I was focused on leaning out and I knew I didn't need them for my activity level. I was doing maybe 9 carb blocks a day, but I wasn't weighing and measuring, so I can't be certain. Perhaps I just took them to a level that is too low to support Crossfit. I assume that this is what the problem was and I'm back to making sure I get all my carb blocks. I've also just recalculated my zone requirements and realized I need a lot less food than I've been eating. This is a result of my old calculation being at a higher bodyweight, and giving myself a higher activity level multiplier than necessary.

I'm now prescribed with 14 blocks/day. I tend to do a little better with SLIGHTLY fewer carbs than the zone prescription so, I'm only doing 12 blocks of carbs. And in accordance with the laws of Robb Wolf, I've added 3 fat blocks for each carb block I deleted. So, my day looks like this:

Total
14 Blocks Protein
12 Blocks Carbs
20 Blocks Fat

Meal 1- P/C/F = 4/3/5
Meal 2- P/C/F = 3/3/5
Meal 3- P/C/F = 4/3/5
Meal 4- P/C/F = 3/3/5

I'm also going to start doing Robb's recommended PWO starchy carb load technique when I get back to school in mid January. I tried to employ it a little bit before and it seemed to work well, although I didn't use it long enough to see any HUGE results. And I'm IFing by the seat of my pants. Some mornings I wake up and just don't feel like eating breakfast, so I combine my first 2 meals into 1 and eat it around 1-2 pm. This usually results in a 10-15 hour fast.