Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
Ari Kestler

We are kinda going through the same thing. I started on paleo, then went to paleo+IF, then realized it wasn't really compatible with full blown CF, so now I'm thinking of returning to zone with paleo at 16 blocks x2 fat. I'm also subbing 2-4 blocks out for fat per Robb, but I think part of the zone that I wasn't doing before was meal portions, if you skip breakfast and combine it with lunch you end up eating a 8 block meal or whatever which I think kinda defeats the purpose...even if it's low carb you are still going to spike due to the amount of food...I think it's also easy to lose site of portions that way... I'd try and just stick with one thing before adding increasing levels of complexity... just my opinion... either way let me know how your experiments work...and I'll keep you posted about mine...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #42
Ryan Brown

Thanks for the insights, Ari. I see what you mean about the big double meal being an insulin spiker due to it's size and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I think though, if I start doing 1/2 my carbs PWO, that double meal will remain low enough in carbs to not be a problem. I'll just see what happens.
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #43
Chris Salvato

How you people stay on strict zone for more than a couple months at a time is beyond me. I am pretty disciplined but that shit just gets boring after a while! Either you eat the same meals every day so you aren't constantly recalculating blocks or you are always doing math before you eat... Do you just eat huge 8 block meals all the time?
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #44
Ryan Brown

I eat mostly the same things all the time. I can tolerate it just fine. It's not EXACTLY the same day-to-day but I probably cycle through the same 20 foods or so. It's worth it for me.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #45
Ryan Brown

Sunday, 1/4/09

Rest Day

I've decided to go with a 15 block zone instead.

Monday, 1/5/09

Bodyweight is down to 165 lbs

Texas Method (volume day)

3x5 Squat @ 315 (felt like 330, awful)

3x5 Push Press @ 115 (this also felt heavier than it should have.)

I don't know what the reason was for this massive reduction in strength. Maybe I've finally leaned out to the point where I'm losing a bit of strength with it. Maybe it's just that the reduction from 18 blocks to 15 blocks over the past 2 days has been rough on me. Or maybe I've just gotten neuromuscularly rusty from my week off. Whatever the reason, I hope it works itself out because this is 2 training sessions in a row that have SUCKED.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
Ari Kestler

I'd give it a couple days - week and see how you feel, it could be any of the reasons you mentioned...though a number of people do mention dropping raw strength #s on zone...I'd still wait til you get used to the 15 blocks and the sleep is there basically making zone the diagnosis of exclusion....are you running at 2x, 3x fat?

The only reason I ask is cause you are stronger than me, weigh less than me yet I am eating more (16 blocks x2 fat)...hmm, something doesn't seem right...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #47
Ryan Brown

I'm on base fat right now, Ari. Still trying to lean out just a BIT more. I'm probably around 10-11% BF currently. Historically, I've done my best work at 8-10%, so I'm shooting for that slightly lower BF range. I'll just give it time.

Since doing GOMAD/Eat everything in sight, I've gone through 3 phases of fat loss. First was 20 blocks, 2x fat. Then I went down to 18 blocks, 1x fat. Now i'm doing 15 blocks, 1x fat. At each one of those previous transitions there was a transitional period where I felt hungry and a little bit off my game for 3-6 days. I'm betting that this is another such transition period. However, there may be some true strength being lost to the leanness. It's just a necessary compromise.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #48
Chris Salvato

I may have to do strict zone again -- i have been stuck at around 180 for a bit of a while now

EDIT: After I wrote this I realized that I have like 15# of lean muscle mass more than you...if I got down to 165# and maintained mass, I would be only 4% body fat!

What was your weight and BF% at your max compared to now? I think I can get down to 175 comfortably (and I was close before I took a 2 week break).
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #49
Ryan Brown

My max weight was 183. I know that for a fact. Using some dexa scans (Pretty darn accurate) that I received twice during the semester as bench marks, I'd estimate I was around 20% BF. Now I'm 18 lbs lighter, and if all those 18 lbs were fat, I'd be at 11.27% BF. That sounds about right to me.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #50
Ryan Brown

Tuesday, 1/6/09

Rest Day

Wednesday, 1/7/09

Texas Method(recovery day)

Squat 3x3 @ 250

Press 3x3 @ 95

In Practical Programming it says that after the recovery day workout you should feel better than you did before. I'd say that is true for me today.

Will Friday produce a PR? Stay tuned!