Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Default Influenza--caused by Vitamin D deficiency?

http://www.whale.to/a/cannell.html
Quote:
Epidemiology and Infection, known as The Journal of Hygiene in Hope-Simpson's day, recently published our paper. The editor, Professor Norman Noah, knew Dr. Hope-Simpson and helped tremendously with the paper. In the paper, we detailed our theory that vitamin D is Hope-Simpson's long forgotten "seasonal stimulus." We proposed that annual fluctuations in vitamin D levels explain the seasonality of influenza. The periodic seasonal fluctuations in 25-hydroxy-vitamin D levels, which cause recurrent and predictable wintertime vitamin D deficiency, predispose human populations to influenza epidemics. We raised the possibility that influenza is a symptom of vitamin D deficiency in the same way that an unusual form of pneumonia (pneumocystis carinii) is a symptom of AIDS. That is, we theorized that George Bernard Shaw was right when he said, "the characteristic microbe of a disease might be a symptom instead of a cause."

In the paper, we propose that vitamin D explains the following 14 observations:

1. Why the flu predictably occurs in the months following the winter solstice, when vitamin D levels are at their lowest,

2. Why it disappears in the months following the summer solstice,

3. Why influenza is more common in the tropics during the rainy season,

4. Why the cold and rainy weather associated with El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which drives people indoors and lowers vitamin D blood levels, is associated with influenza,

5. Why the incidence of influenza is inversely correlated with outdoor temperatures,

6. Why children exposed to sunlight are less likely to get colds,

7. Why cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections,

8. Why Russian scientists found that vitamin D-producing UVB lamps reduced colds and flu in schoolchildren and factory workers,

9. Why Russian scientists found that volunteers, deliberately infected with a weakened flu virus - first in the summer and then again in the winter - show significantly different clinical courses in the different seasons,

10. Why the elderly who live in countries with high vitamin D consumption, like Norway, are less likely to die in the winter,

11. Why children with vitamin D deficiency and rickets suffer from frequent respiratory infections,

12. Why an observant physician (Rehman), who gave high doses of vitamin D to children who were constantly sick from colds and the flu, found the treated children were suddenly free from infection,

13. Why the elderly are so much more likely to die from heart attacks in the winter rather than in the summer,

14. Why African Americans, with their low vitamin D blood levels, are more likely to die from influenza and pneumonia than Whites are.

Although our paper discusses the possibility that physiological doses of vitamin D (5,000 units a day) may prevent colds and the flu, and that physicians might find pharmacological doses of vitamin D (2,000 units per kilogram of body weight per day for three days) useful in treating some of the one million people who die in the world every year from influenza, we remind readers that it is only a theory. Like all theories, our theory must withstand attempts to be disproved with dispassionately conducted and well-controlled scientific experiments.
Feel free to share!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Camille Lore

I find that very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
Camille Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Yes, that part in there about the 2000 units D / kg BW x 3 days is NOT a typo.

For me:
~80kg BW x 2000 units D = 160,000 units D x 3 days

My wife and I recently got something flu-ish and tried buying some Vit. D at a health food store on the way home from work - they only had 400iu tabs, 100 to a bottle. That meant the whole bottle only had 40,000 units! We were currently taking 2000iu/day from CLO. This will likely increase.

Anyway, my wife got over her stuff in ~1.5 days and me in 2. We basically split the bottle between us over two days plus some extra CLO. Many other people around here are catching this flu-ish syndrome BAD. I'm still clearing the garbage out of my respiratory system.

The potential amount of money that an increased daily dose and/or acute flu dosing of vitamin D that people could save on antiviral/antibacterial/"immune-boosting" supplements and foods to avoid/fight getting sick in the winter is staggering.

Get sun exposure, take CLO, and maybe even add some supplemental Vit. D are the lessons I'll be taking from this.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Scott Kustes

G-man, do you carry any vitamin D products or advise any specific ones? Not in need now, but you never know and it's good to be advised in advance.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

I thought I posted on this already...but don't see it. Thanks for the link Dr G, used it with my flu shot rant today on the blog (love the "make your own flu shot" video....Canadians, too funny)
http://www.theiflife.com/2008/12/09/...e-first-place/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
G-man, do you carry any vitamin D products or advise any specific ones? Not in need now, but you never know and it's good to be advised in advance.
Cod Liver Oil and Sardines/Eggs....eat up!

Last edited by Mike ODonnell; 12-09-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Scott,
I was planning on looking into that for myself, I believe I can find drops of D3 that contain either 1000iu or 2000iu per drop, that would be so much easier than the tabs.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Daniel Labuz

I felt terrible all weekend and Monday (runny nose, fatigued) my CLO was delivered Monday afternoon, took two swigs of it last night and this morning and feel amazing.

I knew I was Vit D deficient for a while since there's no sun anymore in upstate New York, and my egg consumption went down the tube when my stove broke, so this CLO is a godsend.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Craig Loizides

Carlson makes a 2000 IU vitamin D3 supplement available in either drops of softgel. I started using it a few weeks ago along with some CLO.
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_f...l?categid=0004
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
George Mounce

I thought influenza was caused by a virus?

Could it be the immune system is stronger with more Vitamin D, therefore you are more apt to be able to fight it off? Not trying to mince words, but causality shouldn't be mixed here. Influenza is a virus, no vitamin or lack of it causes a virus to occur.

I would agree that people have less of a chance to fight off infection and disease without a healthy immune system. Saying that Vitamin D deficiencies cause influenza is not a correct statement.

Quote:
Why African Americans, with their low vitamin D blood levels, are more likely to die from influenza and pneumonia than Whites are.
That is quite a generalization don't you think?
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

George,
I believe your questions are answered directly in the full article.
Quote:
Then I thought of three mysteries that I first learned in medical school at the University of North Carolina: (1) although the influenza virus exists in the population year-round, influenza is a wintertime illnesses; (2) children with vitamin D deficient rickets are much more likely to suffer from respiratory infections; (3) the elderly in most countries are much more likely to die in the winter than the summer (excess wintertime mortality), and most of that excess mortality, although listed as cardiac, is, in fact, due to influenza.

Could vitamin D explain these three mysteries, mysteries that account for hundreds of thousands of deaths every year? Studies have found the influenza virus is present in the population year-around; why is it a wintertime illness? Even the common cold got its name because it is common in cold weather and rare in the summer. Vitamin D blood levels are at their highest in the summer but reach their lowest levels during the flu and cold season. Could such a simple explanation explain these mysteries?
Quote:
Humans evolved naked in sub-equatorial Africa, where the sun shines directly overhead much of the year and where our species must have obtained tens of thousands of units of vitamin D every day, in spite of our skin developing heavy melanin concentrations (racial pigmentation) for protecting the deeper layers of the skin. Even after humans migrated to temperate latitudes, where our skin rapidly lightened to allow for more rapid vitamin D production, humans worked outdoors. However, in the last three hundred years, we began to work indoors; in the last one hundred years, we began to travel inside cars; in the last several decades, we began to lather on sunblock and consciously avoid sunlight. All of these things lower vitamin D blood levels. The inescapable conclusion is that vitamin D levels in modern humans are not just low - they are aberrantly low.

About three years ago, after studying all I could about vitamin D, I began testing my patient's vitamin D blood levels and giving them literature on vitamin D deficiency. All their blood levels were low, which is not surprising as vitamin D deficiency is practically universal among dark-skinned people who live at temperate latitudes. Furthermore, my patients come directly from prison or jail, where they get little opportunity for sun exposure. After finding out that all my patients had low levels, many profoundly low, I started educating them and offering to prescribe them 2,000 units of vitamin D a day, the U.S. government's "Upper Limit."
The darker the skin, the more sun exposure is required to produce the same amount of Vitamin D. It is a generalization based in physiology, assuming similar amounts of sun exposure.