Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Nathan Stanley

Default Suggestions for Books on Mental Toughness

As we near the winter break, I'm trying to build a reading list for some of my wrestlers of novels, biographies, memoirs, etc that deal with the aspects of mental toughness. I'm not looking for a sport psychology book, or something along those lines. A book like "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield would be an example of what I'm looking for. If you have a favorite read that fits the bill, I'd love to hear it.
Nathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Edward Friedman

I don't know "Gates of Fire" (though I will check it out,) and my reflexive thought is not of toughness in the Rocky Balboa, "Is that all you got?" sense.

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
George Mounce

I agree with Edward. Mental toughness truly is the emptied mind, the mind free of attachment.

Yagyu Munenori's Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War, a short read but highly informative on the state of mind of the warrior is perfect. The Shambhala Dragon Edition of The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi (another excellent read) has it.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I agree with Edward. Mental toughness truly is the emptied mind, the mind free of attachment.

Yagyu Munenori's Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War, a short read but highly informative on the state of mind of the warrior is perfect. The Shambhala Dragon Edition of The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi (another excellent read) has it.
Good call on the reading material.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Brandon Oto

Orison Swett Marden wrote several books about basically this. Here's one: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13160
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Nathan Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Friedman View Post
I don't know "Gates of Fire" (though I will check it out,) and my reflexive thought is not of toughness in the Rocky Balboa, "Is that all you got?" sense.

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
Great suggestion. I totally agree with you on this book. I saw Dan Hawkins speak a couple of years ago at a football clinic and he quoted this book several times in his presentation.
Nathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

I haven't read it myself but based on the title alone I'm going to suggest The Toughest Man Alive by Gene LeBell.

One that I have read though and that I'd highly recommend is Spartan by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. It's set around the events leading up to the battle of Thermopylea so it should go together quite well with Gates of Fire.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
Leo Soubbotine

Lone Survivor

Very good book.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Soubbotine View Post
Lone Survivor

Very good book.
On the same theme - The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Frank Needham

Here's two: The Book of Five Rings & The Prince. I consider them both to be highly inspirational in the area of mental toughness.

In the first case because Miyamoto Musashi, the martial artist who wrote the book, fought SIXTY duels to the death by sword and triumphed in all cases. He claims that the last duel was fought when he was sixty years old. Ponder that for a minute. This book is also widely perceived to be the reason why the Japanese have been so successful as the attitude embodied by Musashi (being totally sold out to something) has been adopted by the Japanese as something akin to religion.

In the second case there is an aspect of Machiavelli's authorship that many do not discuss when "The Prince" is brought up. He wrote the book during a time he was banished from existence by the authorities. During this period of 20 years he wrote the book and chopped wood to survive.