Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Acne

My girlfriend has suffered with moderate-sever acne since her high school days. When we first started going out she switched to 100% low-carb paleo and her acne completely disappeared. Unfortunately, recently it has come back since Thanksgiving. Admittedly, she did cheat a bit with some pumpkin pie and other sugary junk over the holidays and this is when it came back with a vengeance. Her whole lower jaw and around her mouth broke out severely after Thanksgiving. The problem is, she has since switched back to 100% paleo and the acne seems to only be progressing and getting worse, rather than improving. She swears that she hasn't cheated at all since she broke out.

She's been incredibly busy with finals and quite stressed out and two things have resulted: 1) more stress (cortisol) and 2) Due to her busy schedule she has only been eating one meal a day, and I'm thinking that could be too much stress when coupled with her work load (even more cortisol).

She started eating 2 meals a day, and more food overall, at my suggestion but things haven't improved. She showed up at my house crying yesterday because she is so frustrated with her skin. She said she doesn't even want to go out into public and show her face.

I'm not sure what to have her do. I promised her I'd research the topic and get back to her with what I find.

So far I've come up with the following:

I might get her on some Chaste Tree Berry Powder to control her hormones. Her acne predictably acts up just before her period, which has convinced me that she suffers from hormonal related acne.

I'm thinking a good probiotic may help, since gut health strongly influences skin health. The only supplements she currently takes are CLO and vitamin K2 (MK-7). She has been eating a lot of nuts, which I think may be playing a role in her breakouts. From my own experience I know nuts can be harsh on the digestive system, and anything that alters the gut may alter the skin. I may have her go 100% meat and veggies only.

Other than that, I'm pretty much lost. I couldn't find much research on herbs and acne or relevant hormones. Can anyone provide some input. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Greg, your initial plan sounds good. Getting nuts out is a good idea, I also believe Cordain cuts out eggs in his acne book.

Considering some evening primrose oil or borage oil for the GLA may help as well.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Thanks Dr. G, I completely forgot about the EP oil. Eggs could be a major culprit, she loves eggs and eats them daily. Unfortunately she won't buy the pasture-fed cause they're "too expensive" (sigh).
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

I'm pretty sure everyone in my family reacts negatively to eggs. She may be like that, it won't matter what type of eggs she eats if she is sensitive...

Borage oil is higher in GLA than EPO. The stuff I carry has 600mg GLA per 1000mg softgel.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Kelly Frankson

How does cutting out nuts help?
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Tony Ferous

Cordains acne ebook recommends(off the top of my head), full paleo, low carb(except low gi fruit), fish oil 3-5g, zinc supplement, no nuts(lectins). I dont remember eggs being outlawed, could be wrong though. Ok i just checked, he says limit to 6 omega 3 eggs per week...

Stress plays a big part i think.
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
George Mounce

This article might help (its the Cordain article on acne):

Implications for the Role of Diet in Acne
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Daniel Labuz

I just find it odd that people will try anything to get rid of acne except change their diet, I've seen people get some crazy radical medical treatment but as soon as you tell them it could be diet related they tell you it has nothing to do with it.

I can testify myself, I used to have some moderate acne and it completely cleared up after I went paleo (95%, one meal a week usually consists of non-paleo options)

But I guess that's with anything about diet, you tell people eating whole wheat might not exactly be the best idea for optimal health and they tell you it has fiber in it
Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Labuz View Post
I just find it odd that people will try anything to get rid of acne except change their diet, I've seen people get some crazy radical medical treatment but as soon as you tell them it could be diet related they tell you it has nothing to do with it. (
I think that stands true for just about everything, not just acne....

Look at all those products and medicines out there for every ailment.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Greg Battaglia

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna get her on some borage oil and zinc. No nuts, no eggs. Dr. G, that's interesting that you should say that about eggs. I find that if I eat any eggs other than pasture-fed my MVP acts up. Heart palpitations, tight chest, general lethargy. Pasture-fed tend to have the same effect except to a much lesser degree. Sometimes I reacts, sometimes not. I think it has something to do with the anti-nutrients in the whites. Maybe arachidonic acid as well, as levels are lower in pasture-fed, leading to fewer symptoms. Maybe it's a combo of the two, who knows.

Anyway, thanks again, can't wait to tell her about those tweaks and see how it works.