Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Daniel Labuz

Default Which would be Better suited for me?

There is a gym near me that opened recently that caters to BJJ and Muay Thai, I looked at both and they seem both quite physically demanding.

I was going to do this about 2-3 times a week, along with my current training.

I was wondering if either of them had more focus on concentration (haha!) rather than technique and skills. I know of other martial arts that do this (Judo to name one) but there really isn't any availability of them near me. I was leaning towards Muay Thai because it looks more intense in the sense that it's more Asian oriented and they seem to focus a lot on concentration and meditation, but of course I know nothing of the two extensively so I could be wrong.

Basically I want something physically demanding but with a lot of emphasis on mental preparation and training. I want to learn how to clear my mind for tasks and challenges ahead, and I've read that martial arts are good for this, maybe not Muay Thai or BJJ, but those are really the only choices I have at this point. Other suggestions could be made as well, and I could search for other gyms near me.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Eric Hall

I have heard many times and from many people, that they would give up all their training (of whatever martial art they are training in) for one month of BJJ.

I would suggest trying to find a Krav Maga gym. Any martial art that is used by Israeli Special Forces is a-ok in my book.

But only you can answer which would work best for you.
Eric Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Mark Bennett

Daniel,

Both are great arts in their own right, but both are very different (one a ground fighting art and one a stand up/striking art). They also make an excellent combination.

My advice would be try both and see what you like best. Chances are that you will love both, and may have to do a split i.e. 2x BJJ and 1x Muay Thai per week, or vice versa. A lot will also depend on the quality of the instructors involved, and your connection with them.

Both arts focus very much on a combination of concentration, technique and skills, but in my opinion/experience neither focuses on the meditation side which some traditional martial arts do, although both need a high level of mental thought and preparation.

If you want something physically demanding you could not pick 2 better arts in my opinion. With BJJ training/rolling being slightly more intense in my experience.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Daniel Labuz

Thanks a lot. I will check out the gym when I get back from vacation next week. Appreciate the insight and responses, thanks!

Not sure if I mentioned this in my first post, but in no way or form do I want to become an MMA fighter or even think about using the skills acquired to fight or hurt anyone, unless in a severe self defense situation. I'm what you call a pansy when it comes to fighting, I love to spar with gloves with my friends but I just can't actually fathom permanently disabling or killing someone.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
George Mounce

I'd say do the Muy Thai first, then get into BJJ if you aren't planning on doing MMA. Or vice versa. While its possible to learn both at the same time, you are short changing yourself IMHO. Learn one well, then learn the other well - you have your whole life to learn both.

As far as meditation goes, I suggest a book called Zen Training by Katsuki Sekida. Took my zazen to a whole new level.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Yael Grauer

I can't speak to Muay Thai but BJJ has really improved my concentration and I do consider it a form of meditation... Just a lot of breathing and relaxing and focusing going on. It is fun!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Daniel Labuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I'd say do the Muy Thai first, then get into BJJ if you aren't planning on doing MMA. Or vice versa. While its possible to learn both at the same time, you are short changing yourself IMHO. Learn one well, then learn the other well - you have your whole life to learn both.

As far as meditation goes, I suggest a book called Zen Training by Katsuki Sekida. Took my zazen to a whole new level.
I've been looking at various meditation books, read a few Judo books just to get a feel for the martial art only to find out that there is no where's near me a Judo dojo. Anyways, I'll take a look at that book. Everyone can benefit from proper concentration, focus, and breathing techniques!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Ben Langford

As far as the meditation and concentration goes, I find that nothing focuses the mind so much as direct physical competition with another human being.

My mind is closest to the Zen ideal of being "immovable" during an intense roll.
Ben Langford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Grissim Connery

bjj has taught me a lot about life in general, and i've never had to take that arrogant, formal martial art composure to my life to do it. basically you excell in bjj when you start figuring out truths to our physical/mental selves.

for example:
most every beginner in bjj tries to muscle everything. this is expected because it's the only thing a person will know how to do if they don't know any moves. now a person might get by for a little bit trying to muscle things until
a) he rolls with a dude who outweighs him by 100 lbs
b) he rolls with a purple/brown/black belt
one will quickly notice that their muscles don't mean a whole lot, especially after a minute or 2 of rolling. now if you watch that advanced grappler roll with the overweight dude, you'll see him handle the guy with relative ease compared to the new guy.

bjj then becomes a process of deductions
ex) you probably have 2 arms and 2 legs just like the advanced grappler. thus you have the same capabilities of him

as you progress in bjj, these deductions will go from really obvious to much more precise
ex) the darse choke can be achieved when you increase the distance between his elbow and his hip. this can be deduced from the fact that he's weaker when his elbow is further from his hip. this can be deduced from the fact that you're stronger when you're in a ball. this can be deduced from the fact that when you're in a ball, you have more potential energy. this can be deduced from the fact that when all limbs are fully outstretched, one limb must be pulled in to initiate movement. and so on...

if you want to have a martial art that teaches you to "concentrate" then just make sure you ask WHY when you're learning the art. "why does this move work?" "why does he beat me here?" "why am i getting tired whenever i do this move?" asking WHY will probably make you think/concentrate well in any martial art. thus i believe that bjj or muay tai are optimal cause you can learn how to concentrate and learn how to smash somebody on the streets.

and that's really the goal right? i'd rather choke somebody out then show off a solid horse stance when a mugger comes...
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Daniel Labuz

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

Also, is it harder to get started in either of these? I have no prior experience in any grappling or striking sports, so would this be a factor in which one to choose? I'm sure I'll start out an extreme novice either way.