Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
You also don't weigh much, pack on some muscle all over your body and you'd see a huge difference I'm guessing.
I concur. SS for 3 months with GOMAD will bring your weight up...lose some fat after that with x-fit metcons and good diet and i reckon it will be a ton easier for you.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #12
Dan Heaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaspar View Post
thanks for the quick replies.
yep, started training as a gymnast todler at age 4..since 1959... i'm 6' 145#
i currently cycle the pro cat 1-2 level races. very tough...
was a 4:19 miler, and played semi pro ice hockey. body % has been 3-4-5% always. i imagine its a genetic thing. maybe there are a few exercises to do that will define them more.
its my challenge to get them, like all goals in sport. maybe hanging off the bar and elbows to knees??? i have no rings, but the awsome pullup/dip bar with the place to do the knee-ups. maybe weighted knee-ups.
diet perfect my whole life. just see the abs when i flex them, not like some guys that have the big ab muscles..
thanks for the comments.
steve
I had best results with weighted abs exercises but I counldn't agree more that the fork is the key. I didn't have defined abs no matter what I tried until I controlled my eating
Dan Heaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
Steve Kaspar

Default defined abs

thanks alot for all the comments.
no SS or GOMAD for me. i am not trying to bulk up, or gain weight. i'm 145# the past 30-40 years, and thats where i'm staying. i use all my energy bicycle training bicycle racing, and training with weights for my racing. i trained in sports to be the best i can be at that sport. trained very hard at ice hockey and made it to the semi pro level. trained hard at running and got to 4:19 in the mile indoors.currently training very hard at cycling these past 10 years and doing ok with that.
i'm not after trying to be pretty good at lots of sports and exercises, but to be good, or very good at one sport. this coming race season i'll be 54, and it may be my last season. then i'll get into the xfit mentality of repitition/specificity is the enemy, and i'll do all the exercises, not trying to master any one..just wanted some opinions on new exercises to build the very defined ab look. thanks alot for all your comments and suggestions.
steve
Steve Kaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #14
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
i use all my energy bicycle training bicycle racing, and training with weights for my racing.
That's pretty much it.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #15
Chris Salvato

Agreed with Gant.

You're priorities don't give you the luxury of looking out for the best aesthetics.

Good luck this season
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
Dave Van Skike

zercher squats.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Derek Simonds

I really have nothing to add but saw the topic and saw that Dave had responded and well you know here I am.

Interesting discussion. Best of luck Steve on your goals.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Rafe Kelley

First you need to know if the lack of abdominal definition is due to fat over the abdomen or due to a lack of hypertrophy in the rectus abdominus. You say you test at 3-5 percent body fat thats difficult to believe but if so tell me is your ab caliper measurement significantly higher then your other measurements? If so
excessive cortisol is probably causing you to deposit all the fat you do have on your abs so even though your stomach is flat and you are over all very lean this area refuses to look defined. If your doing allot of long distance biking this is not unlikely, as that raises Cortisol levels substantially, switching out some of your riding for more intense interval training and weight lifting, getting your diet very clean and practicing good recovery habits(consistent sleep in bed early 8-10 hours being the most important) will take care of that. If your caliper test on your abdomen is not significantly higher then elsewhere you probably have a relatively thin rectus abdominus or less taut tendons over the rectus(the bulging of the rectus against those tendons that causes the six pack shape). In that case you need to hypertrophy your abdominals if your relatively strong most straight bodyweight exercises will not do a whole lot to increase hypertrophy in the area. The SS suggestion is a very good one, it is going to be hard to add muscle in that specific area without adding muscle more globally through the heavy hormonal effects of major lifts like the squat and deadlift. If your determined to focus just on your abs and not willing to gain muscle anywhere else, hypertrophy range weighted abdominal exercises like weighted sit ups, hanging knee's to elbows with your feet weighted, ab wheel roll outs with weight vest etc is about the only option that might help you.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #19
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
i'm 6' 145#
You should be somewhere about 100 lbs heavier than what you are now :P
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #20
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
You should be somewhere about 100 lbs heavier than what you are now :P
he's a competitive bike racer...those numbers are legit to that end.