Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Kris Reeves

I've been thinking about this since I read the article, but have just had a chance to post.

From the article (bold emphasis added by me):

Quote:
Start with a conservative weight. If you manage five reps in all five sets, next time add 10 pounds and start over. Not 5 pounds, and definitely not 2, but 10. For reasons that are outside of the scope of this article, Malibu Ken and Barbie jumps with tiny plates are a waste of time.
What are peoples experience/thoughts on this? I bought in to the microloading idea...but honestly, when I look back over my training log I can't say that they've made a hill of beans of difference when I've used them.

On one hand, the idea that coaxing the body into gains with tiny jumps makes sense...but on the other hand, the idea of making a large jump to put the body in 'sh*t or get off the pot' mode makes sense too....

Just wondering if others practical experience and/or coaching others with regard to this could shed some light.
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Kris Reeves

Interestingly enough I just noticed that in the comments section Pavel responded to a question about the weight jumps and this is what he had to say:

Quote:
Small weight jumps are good for beginners, than things start breaking down. You end up spending too many workouts near your RM and you only have so many before you crash and drop off the peak. And you end up spinning your wheels too long in the beginning of the cycle. 2-5% 1RM jumps are optimal. If you want to learn more, read the “Very Progressive Overload” article in my Power to the People Monthly (www.PowertothePeopleMonthly.com).
The first part of that statement parallels my experience pretty much exactly.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
Gavin Harrison

Kris,

I also found the comments very interesting. One quote I liked a lot was "To press a lot, you have to press a lot." Anyways, giving this program a go starting tomorrow, it's perfect for me with school, short time in the gym, one piece of equipment per session
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
Kris Reeves

Gavin -

I've actually found that is a pretty true statement. On certain lifts that I've always struggled with (benching and overhead pressing)...I've progressed better when I've upped the weekly volume (ie. 3 or 4 days per week) while keeping the intensity lower (not going to failure, etc.). In other words, working hard but keeping the intensity low enough to do the lift frequently.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
Dave Ogilbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Good read, pretty standard powerlifting routine, not incredibly new, but hits the high points. But do we have to wear these boots and have a mullet?
All the cool guys have mullets...

With that said, its give or take with adding poundage to my lifts. Like Kris, if I'm stalling at something, more frequency and smaller weight increments usually help. I personally will add no more than around 5 pounds to lifts I don't feel i've quite fully done to perfection yet (i.e. was I putting a little too much lean on those last reps on the press?) I'm a stickler for making sure my form stays good.

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
Gavin Harrison

I like the bigger jumps, if I can do 5x5 of a weight, it's safe to say the next week I'll be able to do at least a few sets of 5 at the weight+10 lbs. They also force you to get to a respectable weight more quickly, and since the entire program hinges on irradiation, this is a very good thing.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote