Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Matt Edwards

Default Rowing

Because of the extreme cold in the north east and the tons of snow we're getting, I want to completely substitute my running for rowing (except for the occasional sprints). Right now I'm primarily training for a weight lifting competition in the summer. But, I also want to stay in decent shape for track tryouts next fall. Does anyone have adequate knowledge in rowing to inform me whether or not it's possible for rowing to keep me in decent shape for a starting point to resume running after the competition?
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
George Mounce

Your try-outs are next fall. If you are a good runner now, some x-training will be great for you. I would keep running occasionally if the weather supports it, if you can't rowing is an excellent way to stay in shape for the next season. In fact - because rowing is a more powerful motion, its going to help you in all things, not just running.

Rowing sprints can be hell, and you will enjoy them!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Daniel Labuz

I would like to meet said person who enjoys a 2000m row for time, they must be special
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Labuz View Post
I would like to meet said person who enjoys a 2000m row for time, they must be special
Who doesn't like things that make you better?
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Matt Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
rowing is a more powerful motion
I guess it also helps since I run the 400m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Rowing sprints can be hell, and you will enjoy them!
I just started adding stuff like...

5 Rounds:
200m Row sprint
30sec rest

Gotta admit, I do love it. Thanks for the information.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Mike Prevost

Default Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Edwards View Post
Because of the extreme cold in the north east and the tons of snow we're getting, I want to completely substitute my running for rowing (except for the occasional sprints). Right now I'm primarily training for a weight lifting competition in the summer. But, I also want to stay in decent shape for track tryouts next fall. Does anyone have adequate knowledge in rowing to inform me whether or not it's possible for rowing to keep me in decent shape for a starting point to resume running after the competition?
Matt

Rowing would not transfer well to running. The kind of run fitness you are seeking is in the muscles. Rowing and running are targeting different muscles. Why not just run on a treadmill?

Specificity in this case is very important. Running speed across most distances depends on peripheral adaptations (in the muscles). So maintaining them requires the recruitment of the same muscles. THis is not going to happen to any significant extent with rowing.

What type of track events are you participating in?
Mike Prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Mike Prevost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prevost View Post
Matt

Rowing would not transfer well to running. The kind of run fitness you are seeking is in the muscles. Rowing and running are targeting different muscles. Why not just run on a treadmill?

Specificity in this case is very important. Running speed across most distances depends on peripheral adaptations (in the muscles). So maintaining them requires the recruitment of the same muscles. THis is not going to happen to any significant extent with rowing.

What type of track events are you participating in?
I see you answered it above, the 400. That is certainly a muscle limited event. THe pace is above your VO2 max, so is not limited by central adaptations in your cardiovascular system. In other words, you go faster due to metabolic adaptations in the muscles. Rowing will not produce or maintain that kind of metabolic adaptation, though it will produce cardiovascular adaptations (not a big factor for your event). Just find a treadmill or focus on sprints outside. Don't have to be outdoors for long.

Mike
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Steve Kaspar

Default rowing

mike prevost
i totally agree.
specificity is needed here ...
a great article to read here.

Specific Muscle Fibre Actions
One of the particular features of training for any sport is that the training effect is very specific to the sport and particular muscular action. This has been known by exercise physiologists for many years, but the full extent of the performance implications seems to have been slow in getting through to many racing cyclists and some coaches. What it means is that how you train muscles determines what they can do well. If you run it does not help cycling directly - we all know that and most people would put it down to using different muscles. But that is only partly true - you use almost all the muscles in your legs to run as well as cycle. The difference is the various muscle fibres are recruited in a different pattern or sequence, and building muscular fitness by running has very little specific carry over to cycling. When the British runner Sebastian Coe set the world record for 800 metres it is unlikely that he would have been able to ride a ten mile time trial at any more than a modest club time trial pace. But given some six months to adapt to a cycling action then the story would have been very different.

To understand why such differences exist we need to consider muscle actions down at the level of individual muscle fibres. Muscles are built up from 'bundles' of muscle fibres which must be bio-electrically activated to produce movement. In the large muscles of the thigh for instance there will be many thousands of muscle fibres all potentially capable of being activated to produce muscular force which can be transmitted into pedalling action, ie cadence or angular velocity. But it is only through the repeated and specific action of cycling itself that encourages progressively more and more muscle fibres to be recruited into a pedalling action.

Two key processes are taking place. The physiological development of muscle fibres that enables them to produce more force, and a neurological conditioning and signalling process that sequences more of them into the specific cycling action at any one moment in time. Overall it is a process that takes a long time to develop and become efficient - indeed years to reach a very high level of output. Switch to running and the well developed fibres will not be able to function at all well in a coordinated manner for a running action and fibre recruitment will be low until a new adaptation pattern is established. So one of the keys to successful physiological conditioning for any particular sport is to develop and recruit as many fibres as possible for the very specific and particular muscular actions required by training in very sport specific ways.

such a true article..
if you can, do like i use to do when i was training for indoor races this time of year. underground parking garages are dry from snow and ice and 100+ yards long. run around them and its just like a indoor track.
improvise..
good luck
steve kaspar
Steve Kaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
Mike Prevost

Default article

Steve

Great article, thanks. Where did you find it?

Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Ross Enamait in one of his videos (can't remember which one) demonstrates very short sprint accelerations using a band tied around him and anchored to a pole. That may be useful to you, it requires very little space and can be done inside.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote