Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
Blair Lowe

A baseball was in my crib when I got put in so you can tell what my dad pushed for a lot of my childhood. I still was exposed to and interested in any sport that came my way as a kid. So I threw and learned to hit and field as a kid before playing LL around 8yo to 8th grade.

My dad was into gymastics in the bronze age but also got into baseball and judo heavily in HS and college. Eventually his claim to fame was he was invited to the regional qualifiers in the 80's for the olympics and got to train with some names like Gokur and at some good clubs. I spent 6mo to a year in judo somewhere between 5 and 7, not really sure. I was a real monster as a kid and got to do lots of duckwalks and body drags and my dad was quite often teaching the kid's class. He eventually helped coach when I was in baseball as well.

I lived baseball as a kid besides any other ball sport. Still, baseball was on my mind with BB and football close. I was also into stats and history like a maniac.

I was always small and can remember practicing pushups and situps a lot as a kid to get stronger. I didn't climb a rope till college but I used to climb chains from our tree somehow. I don't remember how I did at pullups as a kid except that it was a pain to get up there.

Never got into gymnastics as a kid, but I never saw any gymnastics gym down in Socal or heard of any or kids doing any. Not in our area at least but saturday mornings were dominated by gymnastics much to my dismay of no cartoons.

Loved martial arts as a kid, eventually getting into it in HS. Karate and kobudo with some playing in the aikido class besides some other stuff. Our teachers had us do lots of L sits, besides the other Okinawan body training. I eventually started doing HS on wall for conditioning at home besides a lot of BW stuff.

Left MA and started running track and field as a jr because a friend wanted a friend on team but he went and did tennis. Got into sprints and polevaulting, but didn't focus on polevaulting till senior year. Was kind of all over the place.

Finally got into the weight training class that I never could all of HS which had really irked me. It was run by the football coach and was only football players which was "interesting." Got to learn the basic lifts and oly lifts but can't really remember lots of cues or tips and more than likely just watched everyone else and they had been instructed by the coach during season ( it was fall and then in football season ). Got my name up on the board for FS and BS and was weighing in around 152 from 125 as a junior. I bulked up a lot or maybe fatted up a bit from working as a stock boy.

Basically was into weights for a few years, working as a dairy clerk and loving to pull in the half ton of dairy off the trucks. That was a blast. Got up to 170s eating lots of food at the market and working stock and working out in my spare time at the apartment gym. Lots of fried chicken and lasagna. Didn't have access to squatting or deading.

Never did DL to the last couple of years upon CF. We only trained jump shrugs in snatch or clean grip in HS so I only did that. Didn't really have any resources while I trained at globogyms but stuck mostly to freeweights playing around on machines.

Took a gymnastics tumbling class in college around 8 years ago. Digged it but had a bad experience tumbling because of a bad spot ( neck injury ). Had a friend who was an ex gymnast and we played on rings together and I ended up coaching rec as did he at different gyms. In fact, I took over for him as he left one gym. Started learning about gymnastics, mainly women's and basics while coaching.

Started getting some exposure to MAG but didn't really know anybody at the gym who knew jack about MAG so I managed to learn from some books, a few cd's, and more clinics-tinkering on my own until I started going to watch at other men's gyms ( I was in a girl dominated rec gym ) and eventually went to one for 9mo and splitting from there.

Came across drillsandskills around 03 and eventually met Roger Harrell working out at the gym I just got hired at in 04 eventually getting exposed to his CF oriented gymnastics workouts and CF. And here I pretty much am.

So I still tinker with MA and other stuff and gymnastics. None of my friends really play sports and I never had the time off to do adult hockey in my 20's though I thought about going back to wrestling ( wrestled 145s senior year ) or polevaulting. No real time then.

Currently I'm back coaching gymnastics though I've been on and off again coaching the past few years while dabbling in IT or just working to live. Haven't really been out of gymnastics though I did take about 9mo off back in 03 when I thought myself down after trashing my wrists upon falling badly in Volleyball. Officially told myself was done and lost a lot of strength I had built up like levers and working on planche and cross. Grr. Yearned for that strength again ever since.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

gymnastics: 5-10/11 (5 years)
baseball: 11-12
track: 12-13 <- damn you Osgood Schlatter's!
golf: 15-17 (well, I still play occasionally)
rec gymnastics: 18->present

As you can see I hopped around quite a bit, but most of my background is in gymnastics.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Emily Mattes

I was an incredibly nerdy, unathletic kid. Like most kids, I got put in youth softball, soccer, whatever, but I was pretty terrible at it and knew I was terrible, so never lasted long in anything. Gym class was my personal hell.

I did youth swimming off and on, but my parents didn't like driving me to practices so I never did it seriously until the first two years of high school when I was able to get rides.

Between the first and second year of high school I did triathlons in the off-season, and spinning/running on the treadmill to supplement it. Looking back I mostly was just doing a lot of mileage really, really slowly with no actual attempt at a training program. I was driven, but to be honest it was more for bad psychological reasons (eating disorder, whee) than actual athletic commitment. I got over it, and with it went my drive to put in the insane amount of mileage and time--without the crazy, nothing was motivating me. So I'd go through cycles of triathlon training but by the beginning of college was pretty well out of the sport. My claim to fame was completing a half-Ironman--did it in about four-and-a-half, five hours, I think, not terrible, but not great.

I made stabs at going to the gym through early college, but thought the only way I could be athletic was to spend hours and hours on cardio machines like I had when I was in triathlons.

Then maybe junior year, a friend of mine who was into bodybuilding/lifting got me started on machine work, and I did that off and on for a while (a year I think?). I got frustrated because while I was putting up more weight I wasn't feeling any stronger, so I looked for other programs. Did bodyweight stuff for a few weeks and then discovered Crossfit. I did Crossfit off-and-on (mostly off, honestly) for a year, up until this past summer when I found an Olympic lifting team.

I originally joined up with those guys to learn the lifts better for Crossfit, but quickly wised up, dropped the Crossfit, and started Olympic lifting full time. I feel better and stronger and more committed to lifting than I have to anything else--I mean, I've been working out regularly since the beginning of October, which is probably a first for me.

So yeah, my background is decidedly unathletic, and up until recently the quasi-athletic parts were not really athletic at all.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Blair Lowe

CrossFit got me back into Oly lifting which is why I love it. I love some of the workouts but ideally I'd do more of a gymnastics hybrid program. However, I just love some of the short workouts because they are fun.

I lean towards more of preferring to train power and strength than endurance. I have enough endurance to train all day at seminars for MA all go or go do outdoorsy stuff. I don't need lots of endurance for gymnastics really and it's self defeating. BW stuff like pullups, pushups, situps, squats is ok but it's more fun with a bar or beyond basic BW movement.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Lite:

School sports, TF, standard ball sport crap, Racket sports,
Sailing, rock climbing, rowing

Moyen:

Motos..Hare Scrambles and general offroad Moto-foolishness,
Running,
BMX

Problematic:

Bike Racing...MTB, Road, Track, and some cross.

Current

toe in the water with Strongman and PL.
Upcoming season I hope to hit 3 or 4 Highland Games.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Scott Kustes

Basketball: grades 5-9
Volleyball: grades 6-8
Football: grades 9-11
Track and Field: grades 6 and 9-12
Skiing for the last decade (Whistler in 2 weeks!)
Weight training since 9th grade in some form or another.
1 softball league per year

Track was my point of pride. Culminated Sr. year with a 10.9s 100m and 52s 400m. Missed winning 100m in State to DQing on a false start in Regionals. Had the opportunity to run for a small school in Central KY (Centre), but decided to get my engineering degree (note that I don't have an engineering degree ).

Now I train for fun, still get in as many track meets as I can. Had to give up pickup volleyball and basketball due to danger of shoulder dislocations.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
Rafe Kelley

I grew up in the woods, always kind of introverted and never interested in fitting in video games, magic the gathering or other time wasters my friends liked I spent a great deal of time tromping around swinging around toy swords kicking over snags and, climbing, running, and jumping. Made go-karts, obstacle courses, sparring swords etc with brother, cousins friends and always doing this kind of physical play as young kid.

Team sports: I played soccer from kindergarten through sixth grade. I was usually bigger stronger and faster then most other kids but never had good ball control. I was usually in heavy rotation as midfielder or defender disliked and failed as a forward. The teams I happened to play on were terrible we only made the play offs one year. Got into pick up basketball when I was 15 didn't play for the high school because I was home schooled. Played extensively till I was 21. Was usually stronger and faster then most other players I was a very good individual defender and loved to block shots, I had good a vertical leap and was very good at rebounding, my ball control again was poor and I never understood offense much. I was much better one on one or three on three then in full five on five games. Obsessed with dunking got to the point I could dunk with both hounds and consistently dunked on the break but never in the half court when I was 18 then broke my ankle and couldn't do it again till I was 21. I was a b level player in general were every I went.

Martial arts:
I started martial arts in first grade. With tang soo do trained for year then my school closed down. After that I went to aikido sporadically whenever my dad had time to take me(the school was over and hour away) for a few years. Did some form of Kung Fu from 11-14.

Did jujitsu mixed with some kick boxing from 15-17 in little school in a shed, was just considering competing when my school shut down. Played around with jits and boxing when ever I got the chance from then on but never committed to a school or really focused on it. Showed the same athletic profile in jits as soccer and basketball, strong, fast, but not very skillful. Good defensively my offense was crude but effective against other white belts, color choke, or rear naked chock

Started training Muay thai and Jujitsu seriously again when I was 25. In jits I got allot more skilled positionally and became much better with arm bars but gave it up again after a year because the abuse to my joints just wasn't working out with my parkour practice. I took to Muay thai very well lots of individual practice and natural long reach left me with a very good jab, I picked up the round kick and push kick and clinch very well, I have slowly added better hooks and upper cuts to my Jab and Cross, developed a pretty good spinning back kick and spinning back fist, and a rather effective flying knee. Was hoping to fight my first fight next month but due to work I am moving and will have to leave my school .

Gymnastics: I started training in gymnastics when I was 14 I was very tall for my age and skinny I didn't show allot of talent but I kept doing it recreationally here and there for years and ended up becoming a coach when I was 21, eventually I managed to get good enough to do handsprings, tucks, pikes and lay outs forwards backwards and sideways with basic twists, I could swing a little high bar and do some basic rings but otherwise not much.

Started going to the gym at 12. Was taught basically body builder routines muscle isolations on machines and cardio. Never felt stronger working on machines was pretty bored by the whole thing, hated cardio. Drifted in and out of it till I was 17 never learned anything or got stronger from it. Started doing really weight training when I was 21. On the first day I found squatting 115 pounds challenging and could do one pull up, 6 months I squatted 320 pounds for 8 reps and did 15 pull ups then I quit school and lost my access to a gym.

I discovered parkour when I was 23(2004) and that has been my biggest passion since, I have traveled to france and england twice to train have put out a couple samplers that while not particularly great were well received and become the lead instructor for the Pacific northwest parkour association a non-profit we have started to develop parkour and educate people in our region.

I discovered crossfit around the same time as parkour and have played with incorporating elements of the crossfit method into my training worked in various functions with different crossfit facilities in the area.

In 2006 I discovered Method Naturelle which is the forefather of parkour and when I went to france for first time I stopped in Nice and trained with Erwan le Corre at that time the leading proponent of Methode naturelle. I have been working with him sense as he has created his own education system based on Methode Naturelle called MovNat which has been very interesting and enlightening.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
Allen Yeh

Naturally unathletic kid, got kinda chubby, in middle school my parents enrolled me into kung-fu and I did that until I went away to college, never got awesome but it did help with coordination and discipline and things of that nature. In my senior year of high school I really started paying attention to the amount of chub I had on me and started going to the gym and following routines laid out in Mens Fitness.

In college I started getting into bodybuilding more seriously with the eating 5000 calories and split routines and toyed with doinga show or 2 but never got the balls up to do it. Also in this time I got heavliy involved with the club wrestling team which for the most part was guys that didn't want to dedicate the time to the real team. Despite being bigger than most of these guys I was usually getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis as I had no technical skills. I did get better but never great as you can only get so good doing something 1-2 times a week.

Joined the Army Reserve as soon as I graduated college in 2003 as it was something I had promised myself duing 9/11. After graduating from basic training there I got much heavier into the Crossfit stuff as it appealed to my sense of being able to do all things better without running every day. Unfortunately for me I hadn't built a good enough base in running for this to be true for me.

I'd toy with strength programs and such here and there and had gotten into Oly with Crossfit through Dan John. I didn't really have any oppotunity to practice until they bought a bunch of bumpers and stuff for a Crossfit gym they were setting up on Bolling AFB. I'd like to compete sometime late next year, since I'll be out at officer training from Feb. - June.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
Kevin Perry

Somewhat athletic.

Played soccer for several years from about 5 till 11 then baseball till about 13 or 14. I hated baseball because I was never put on the field, maybe played 1 or 2 innings out of each game but dad kept signing me up for it. Did some martial arts for a couple years but could not afford it after that. Did not really do anything else till my senior year.

I tried getting on some of the sports teams but the only one I could get on was the wrestling team. I did pretty good, placed 2nd at the novice tourney at 130lbs. I only did that for a few months because I graduated early at 17 and my dad lost his job and get an offer across the country so I ended up joining the Marines but I ended up coming down with a respiratory virus that left some scaring in my lungs and made it difficult to breathe so after spending 8 months or so in med platoon at SOI they offered me a chance to stay or go so I left since there was no point in staying anymore.

Spent the next couple of years doing some Crossfit off and on but nothing to serious, my conditioning came back really quickly and my lungs started healing better so I tried numerous times reenlisting without much success, my stuff has been sitting at the docs office at meps for the past 3 or 4 months now going no where.

I got a little sick of being a smaller guy though, some confidence issues here and there (im short) so I took up SS and have put on a good amount of weight and strength and have basically been doing that off and on for a little over a year now. I got a little involved with Olympic lifting but without any serious coaching and no training partners it has basically gone nowhere. I actually really enjoy fitness and nutrition so I'm studying to be a trainer and just taking my own initiative.

I'm doing it mostly for fun now, although I am eying the Crossfit games someday and maybe some powerlifting and Olympic lifting competitions over the next few years as well as numerous seminars and certifications.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
Jonathan Dunn

Very cool thread!

I grew up in rural Alabama. Not enough other kids around for many team sports, other than basketball, so I hunted, fished, hiked, camped, climbed trees, swam, shot rifles, loosed millions of arrows from homemade and "store bought" bows, bicycled and did some roping off huge (at the time) dirt pits. Not to mention plowing, planting, hoeing and gathering crops, along with cleaning fish and dressing deer and the occasional hog. We really ate paleo way back then, without even knowing it. I did get to play baseball some, but only sporadically. I was yanked from HS football when i made a tackle and ate a shoe, knocking off upper and lower braces, meat-grinding the inside of my mouth and knocking 8 teeth loose. It's bad when the coach turns pale after seeing you stand up with parts dangling out of your mouth!

College was a dream come true for me. Intramural softball, volleyball, basketball, football, soccer....whatever...I played all I could. And I got to lift weights in the Rec Center!!! Way cool. And swim in the Nat (so cool to swim without having to scare off/shoot snakes before jumping in; we won't talk about leeches and where they were found on one's body!). Very cool indeed. I almost want to re-enroll!
Jonathan Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote