Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
Wendy Nelson

After reading through this thread and numerous other searches I am still unclear if I should/need to supplement with BCAA

If I am eating steak n eggs every day would it be a good bet that I'm covered? Does the cooking heat reduce the amount of availability?

While cruising posts I did see digestive enzymes recommended before a BCAA supplement. This sounds good so I think I will get some Wobenzym.

I agree with eating Paleo and it serves me well, but at my age it's hard to beat back the what ifs....could I be healthier and should I give my body an advantage?

Thanks for any insight.
Wendy Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you're going to supplement you might as well just get whey. Whey is BCAA loaded and much cheaper than buying individual BCAAs + you get extra protein.

BCAAs help delay fatigue during workout IIRC and help induce anabolic response (specifically L-leucine for anabolic).
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #23
Wendy Nelson

I was using this with some unsweetened cocoa powder and a banana after every workout.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Whey-...&utm_medium=pf wfs

Then I got the eebie geebies from reading numerous posts about the evils of dairy. The last nail in the coffin of my PWO shakes, greek yogurts and cheeeeeese was Robb’s input at a cert I went to. (I mean got F@$%ed at)

The dairy debate has always been an inflammatory (pun intended) one but I tossed my hat in with those that said it was not good for the body. Would you say that the processed whey flies under the radar of proposed harm?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #24
Derek Weaver

I wouldn't worry about it Wendy. I think there are enough benefits to outweigh the risks.

Besides, what's that going to amount to for total intake? Less than 20% on workout days? Hardly enough to be concerned about if you ask me.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you don't want and dairy traces in whey you can grab some isolate. But it costs more.

But yeah, what's wrong with whey? Dairy I can see especially if you're allergic. But whey, a component of dairy, should be fine unless you're allergic to it specifically.

You can message Robb if you want him to talk about it on podcast or something though.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
Yael Grauer

I use BCAA in lieu of a PWO shake since it's better for fat loss. Also awesome for recovery. I also sip on it throughout the day if I'm limiting calories (which I had to do when losing a lot of lbs. quickly for a jiu jitsu tournament). I use Xtreme Ice (grape splash) and it is delish.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
Wendy Nelson

Robb has signed off on whey a while back and actually mentioned the Now brand as a good choice. The tasty grape stuff is tempting but I guess I will just restart my PWO whey shakes that I was using before. It has everything mentioned in the ICE except L-Glutamine which I am guessing our bods produce plenty?

Thanks for the input all
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Mike ODonnell

BCAAs IMO are easier to implement even if you are eating real food. Just put a scoop or two into a large water bottle and carry with you and drink all day. May help esp during more stressful times, workouts, or between meals to prevent excess amino acid oxidation from muscles. Plus easy to drink before or during a workout.

FYI, studies have shown that you will get more bang for your buck on using anything (amino acids, whey) preworkout than post (of course you still want to eat pwo).
Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #29
Yael Grauer

Wow, I did mostly drink it during the WO.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Mike ODonnell
This message has been deleted by Mike ODonnell.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #30
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Nelson View Post
After reading through this thread and numerous other searches I am still unclear if I should/need to supplement with BCAA

If I am eating steak n eggs every day would it be a good bet that I'm covered? Does the cooking heat reduce the amount of availability?

While cruising posts I did see digestive enzymes recommended before a BCAA supplement. This sounds good so I think I will get some Wobenzym.

I agree with eating Paleo and it serves me well, but at my age it's hard to beat back the what ifs....could I be healthier and should I give my body an advantage?

Thanks for any insight.
The foods listed below each provide 2000mg (2g) of BCAA's so assuming that your diet is reasonably varied and your calorie intake is adequate I'd say that you've got the whole BCAA thing covered.

40g of cooked lean steak.

1.5 (75g) eggs.

260ml of skimed milk.

170g of low fat yogurt.

65g of almonds.

2 slices (145g) wholegrain bread.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote