Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
John Haydon Boatner

Default Where to get them cals

I already get in 1-1.5 grams per pound of protein, so whilst gaining should I add on more fat and carbs. This is what lyle mcdonald recommends. What does everyone think?
John Haydon Boatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

eat more fatty meats like eggs and bacon.....toss out all the lean chicken. Protein is not the issue.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
John Haydon Boatner

What do you mean by that?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

you could eat 3x bw in protein, if you are not getting in calories....won't matter about gaining. You should be eating real proteins with fat in them like steak, eggs, bacon, etc. Get rid of protein shakes and chicken breasts until you start putting on weight. Eat more.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Patrick Yeung

Yeah, go with full fat things like they said. Non/reduced fat things are then registered as carbs in your body, not as great.

If youre getting that much protein in from whole sources, you should be getting enough fat/calories from your diet too. Where is this protein all coomin from? Shakes?
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
John Haydon Boatner

bout 40 grams from shakes and the rest from eggs chicken fish beef etc

Avocados any good for fat?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
John Haydon Boatner

Wouldn't it be better to get lean sources of protein and just douse them in oils (olive, walnut, avocado, etc?).

Also, I have a myraid of questions for you mike.

1. I know you don't support pwo shakes but I am not a big eater and consuming a pwo shake helps me get in more cals. IF you were too do a pwo shake what would you do. Whey and some carb source. Would fruit be better then gatorade powder? Say some pineapple or a banana?

2. I know you aren't so hot about fiber. You say fiber from fruits and veggies are fine though (I think I read you post that some where). If so what/how much fruits/veggies do you eat? If not, how do you get your vitamins/minerals? I also saw you reccomend probiotics, is philips colon health any good, I currently take that.

3. For general nutrition breakdown carb wise I get in more carbs on workout days and less on non workout days. It usually works out to around 200 grams (from 2-3 pieces of fruit, pwo gatorade/protein shake, and a sweet potatoe normally in the meal after working out) on workout days and anywhere from 100-125 on non workout (fruits and veggies only). Fats are normally around 70 grams workout days and 100 non workout days. Protein is normally a constant 160-180. Is this a good base? I know its all about calories and will up cals if not gaining but is this a good starting point? Also, what macros should I up first if not seeing gains?