Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Amy Crawford

Default GG Hybrid good for CF Games prep?

I'm a very new poster to this forum, but have been lurking for years. What a wealth of information!

I've decided to give a go at the regional qualifiers for the CF Games. I have no delusions of grandeur, but I thrive with competition. The qualifiers are 14 weeks away.

Currently I train a 3-1-2-1 schedule. I'm 38, 5'3", 125#, about 13%BF. Here are some recent numbers:
DL 225#
BS 190#
SP 95#
1RM pull up BW+45#
Kip pull ups about 35
Fran 6:00
C&J 125#
Snatch no idea, really have problems with balancing the weight, but can get the weight high enough

I play on the rings a good amount (dips, Lsits, pullups, have only done 1 MU), but don't know enough about gymnastics moves, especially scaled for women, to be knowledgeable about it.

Thanks for any guidance/tips/advice.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
George Mounce

http://games2009.crossfit.com/competitors/ I've met Jolie, shes an awesome gal. Something to compare your times with.

Here was the overall female: http://games2008.crossfit.com/docume...Results715.pdf
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Blair Lowe

The progressions for ring work is the same as for men when it comes to rings. I've seen women do strict MU and L press to shoulderstand or back pullover to support or climb up to HS and even some crazy lever stuff on ring-ish circus acro.

Get a decent dip on regular dip bars and learn the support on rings and then dip there. After a decent support, work on turning the rings parallel and then toward diagonally out.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

To answer your question a little more directly. It'd be fine for prep.

The one thing I would make a note of is that the Games last year involved 3 pretty brutal workouts one day and another the next. I would consider a periodized type of approach using a Hybrid for a while to build more strength and maintain or even improve in the shorter, more power biased metcons. I'm thinking "Fran" here where it's just pure horsepower with (ideally) no pacing.

Then another few weeks where you do the mainsite. I get the folks who say keep metcons under 5 minutes on average but, in my most humble opinion, that's not going to prepare someone for that type of competition.

In order to build your work capacity for an all day competion of qualifying (assuming a similar, but smaller, format to the Games) you'll need to work at greater than 5-10 minutes on occasion.

Just my two cents.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

To build up strength, yeah.

But you need to do some of the longer work like Derek said.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
Amy Crawford

Thanks for the replies guys. I did some heavy work on M&W, more along the lines of the Robb Wolf program he designed for his in-laws (letter to Art Devaney referenced in the Hybrid training thread). 3x5 DL, BS (different days), that sort of thing. Then a heavy, short metcon.

I'll definitely start playing more on the rings. Working to keep the rings strictly parallel on dips will be a challenge.

I think I'll do this heavy work for about 6 weeks (as of the start of this program, the games were 14 weeks away), then lighten up a bit, not a lot, per Derek's suggestion, for the remaining 8.

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Two things I'd like to add.

In the two years of the Games, there has always been the hill run. So include some hill sprints, including the rare downhill run once in a while, and some track work.

I'd say stick to the power-biased, heavy metcons as you are planning on doing. I think it would be better to train more than one of those in a day rather than start doing longer metcons one-at-a-time. Due to the scope of the Games, I believe that they will stick to heavier metcons--this both weeds out the weaker folks, makes the event easier to run, and is more exciting for the spectators.

Note that none of the top 5 times in ANY event for the women last year went over 7 minutes, and nearly all of those times were under 5 minutes. While the events may change, I doubt the times (in terms of lengths of events) will.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Derek Weaver

That's a good point Garrett on the hill runs. I kept thinking there was something else to add, but I am lazy.

Regarding the multiple metcons in a day.... solid. I would think that somewhere in the middle of this all a simulation of a qualifer with multiple wods wouldn't hurt at all.

In my opinion the multiple wods aspect, at least day 1, is more about having the balls to go through it than the ability... after a certain point in conditioning of course. Doing a simulation in advance is a great way to prepare mentally for what the competition may be.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
josh everett

I think Garrett is wrong... there most likely will be an event that will be long... how long? I don't know but the format will change every year and I'm expecting there to be someting 10+minutes for sure. With that said I'd still spend very little time training aerobically... 5-15min wods prepare you excellently for aerobic efforts... that's one of the best things about the program!
josh everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

OK, Josh...let's explore that one a bit.

Now that there are qualifiers, you could be right. The qualifiers themselves will weed out a lot of the people that would make "shorter" metcons turn into long ones, and they will also tend to keep those with major form snafus out of the games in the first place.

With a higher quality of entrant, longer metcons would be possible. I would still guess that a planned "long" workout would be limited to a singlet, maybe doublet type. I don't think "Linda" will be showing up anytime soon in the Games, for example. The easiest long workout, considering the Games location, would likely include more running than they have been doing previously and/or rowing.

I think you're right about 5-15 minute metcons keeping folks prepared well for aerobic-type workouts.

Derek, if one wanted to do a Games prep day, I'd highly suggest doing it at least one month, preferably two, before the actual comp., with a big download week (and extra nutrition) following--maybe even 3-4 days completely off, even more if necessary to recover.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote