Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Brian DeGennaro

Default Thigh Bump

Hey, just a question I've been having:

Why do coaches still teach the thigh bump? Why was/is it thought to be acceptable technique?

Something about it just boggles my mind because a former coach kept telling me literally bring my hips into the bar to hit it. All I got out of that was some bruising, lots of pain, and the ability to jump forward a foot and still snatch decent weights.

Also because of that stint with this coach I tend to bang the bar off my hips 1 out of 5 lifts, not necessarily knocking it forward but in an attempt to keep the bar close.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

I could be totally wrong, and people may disagree, but I say ignore everything about "thigh bumping". Maybe that works for people who do kettlebell swings, but not for those who snatch and clean & jerk.

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

I think there are 2 reasons - One, it's a style of lifting that has worked for a select few lifters (primarily of the very short variety), but much more often I think it's simply a misunderstanding of what's happening during lifts by very explosive lifters. In other words, it appears that they're banging it against their hips/thighs because they're moving so violently and change directions so abruptly.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Howard Wilcox

This has been bothering me, I'm glad this came up...

So, should I feel the bar touch my thighs at all? Should I even think about this?

I think I'm actually slowing down the pull trying to make the bar touch and I think it is screwing me up (among other problems I'm sure).

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Yes, it should touch your thighs - slide up them more like. Below the knees, the bar doesn't need to be in contact... but it should be extremely close if it's not. Once you pass the knees, it really needs to come in, and by the time it reaches mid-thigh, it sjhould be sliding up the thighs (not dragging).

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Howard Wilcox

Ok, thanks Greg. I'll have someone watch and tell me if there is contact and if so, good...then I can stop trying to get a conscious bump. And if not, I'll problem-solve it a little (by referencing your book primarily).

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
Don Stevenson

I'd agree with Greg. This question comes up every time we run a coaching course because to most people it does look like the bar bounces off the thighs when a good lifter is doing it.

we always describe it to our lifters as the "thigh brush" and also explain that the bar touching the thighs during the second pull is a CONSEQUENCE of good technique (keeping the bar close) not the goal in itself.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote