Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
james forshaw

Didn't expect much from today (still gave it 100% obviously). Diet has been extremely poor, which is disappointing. There is no need to be sloppy with eating and to get fat, which is where I'm headed if it doesn't stop. Anyway, I gave it my all and this is what happened:

INTENSITY
Squat (full olympic high-bar) - 1 x 3 @ 140kg

Push Press - 1 x 4 @ 80kg

Deadlift - 1 x 1 @ 170kg

No metcon - workouts shifted forward one day due to unavoidable circumstances. Would like to have a chance of recovery before monday.

Very strangely, I feel as though my squat regressed. Last week's 5x135 gave a higher projected 1RM than today's 3x140kg. But at the same time, I've just done 3 deep reps with what was very recently my old (probably barely parallel) 1RM.
Shoulders hurt horribly no matter how much warm-up I do - dislocates, static stretches, windmills, that thing where you thrust your palms upward with fingers interlocked, push-ups, two sets with an empty bar and slow progression upward... still they hurt! Pleased with the progression though, 80kg is heavy.
Had little gas for the deadlift. 155 went up beautifully but 170 was pretty bad. Would have counted in a PL meet as it didn't stop but breaking the floor was UGLY.
Mixed week. Plan - eat right, sleep well, improve.
james forshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
james forshaw

VOLUME
Squat - 8 x 3 @ 130kg - LSD = 9

Push Press - 5 x 5 @ 67.5kg - LSD = 8.5

Clean Pull - 5 x 3 @ 115kg

Abs
Pavel's Oblique Twist - 3 x 10 (5 each side) @ 30kg

Definitely felt better after getting to bed early and sleeping very well over the weekend (sad or what?), and eating better today.

Squats felt very heavy to start with but after a couple of sets, and getting into tight lumbar extension before and during the lift (really feel like it clicked properly), it felt about right. Will probably go for sets across of 5 reps next week, depending on how Friday goes.

Push presses were less painful on my delts, but painful nonetheless. I'll take the improvement though, until if and when it gets unbearable. Could stand to increase by 2.5kg at same sets/reps next week.

The first rep of every set feels great with the clean pulls, but the sheer effort required for each makes the subsequent reps nowhere near as good. I must be progressing though - after the last set, deloaded to 100kg and squat cleaned it like it was nothing, which felt awesome.

*No fast
Decided I'm not going to be strict with counting calories, as it'll no doubt affect any strength gains negatively. Cutting fat is easy anyway.
At this moment:
15P, 8C, 30F*
Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
james forshaw

RECOVERY
Back Squat - 3 x 3 @ 110kg

Weighted Dips - 12 (18kg), 10 (28kg), 8 (38kg)

Weighted Pull-ups (kipping) - 3 x 7 @ 25kg

Swapped bench press in favour of dips. Sane decision really.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #14
james forshaw

INTENSITY
Squat (full olympic high-bar) - 1 x 5 @ 140kg

Push Press - 1 x 7 @ 80kg

Deadlift - 1 x 1 @ 180kg

Metcon
50 Burpees for time
Time: 2 mins 52
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
james forshaw

Queasy all day. Quitting booze for 40 days starting today, Saturday 14th. Easy...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
james forshaw

VOLUME
Squat - 5 x 5 @ 130kg - LSD = 10

Push Press - 5 x 5 @ 70kg - LSD = 8.5

Clean Pull - 5 x 3 @ 120kg

Abs
Rip's overhead weighted crunch
8,12,12,12,9 = 53 @ 15kg
60s rest

Going up 2 reps across the board was a big ask, and every one of the 5 squat sets did me in big time. Went dizzy by the end, but depth and form were spot-on throughout.
Stayed conservative with a steady 2.5kg PP increase, despite the 80x7 last week. Why change what's working?
120kg clean pulls felt fine for the first reps, then like the heaviest weight on earth for the second and third ones. Was panting like I'd been Franned by the end of it.
Decent ab sesh. The first set was done with a rolled towel, hence only 8 reps. Ditched the towel and felt it more, so thats the way to go. Hopefully 60 reps next time.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #17
james forshaw

RECOVERY
Overhead Squat - 3 x 3 @ 45kg

Weighted Pull-ups (kipped) - 9, 8, 6 @ 27.5kg

Weighted Dips - 50kg x 6, 40kg x 7, 30kg x 8

45kg OHS is a huge deal for me, as it's only now I've been regularly doing shoulder dislocates and that my squat form has really been nailed down that I can actually manage to get into a really good position in the hole. Got to start somewhere!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Daniel Mays

James,
Looking strong on all your lifts. We are about the same(22, ~same weight) and similar goals(get stronger not fatter) and one thing that works for me is to pig out after training sessions. I run tight zone pre workout and rest days with around ~2x fat that puts me around 2400 calories. After a heavy lifting session (for me it's Tues, Thurs and Sunday) I add about 1000 or 2000 calories, mainly from clean foods(Goodberry's Frozen Custard is clean in my book!).

I am not gaining fat, actually leaning out somewhat when I put the booze down, and I know I'm getting bigger and stronger. I have done both Crossfit to lean way down, then SS and Eating to get big and strong(a lil doughie) and this method of eating seems to be working very well. My workouts do not seem to be affected and my weights are going up every session still. YMMV, but just thought I'd give you some input. Good luck dialing in the diet!

Stay Strong,

Danny
Daniel Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #19
james forshaw

INTENSITY
Squat (full olympic high-bar) - 1 x 2 @ 150kg

Push Press - 1 x 4 @ 85kg

Clean - 1 x 1 @ 100kg

Metcon
100m row w/ 50s rest
8 rounds
Best: 17.5
Worst: 18.5

That's the heaviest squat I've ever put up, by 10kg. The 145kg I put as my starting point was just a projected max. Very pleased, needless to say.
Happy with 85kg for four reps too, I feel this will help hugely with jerking what I can clean.
Lower back wasn't feeling great today (poor posture on clinic), so did cleans instead of Deadlifts. University gym with metal plates so didn't feel comfortable going above 100kg. Failed 105 but the noise was deafening. There seems to be a new impenetrable psychological barrier, similar to when trying to get into triple figures in the first place. I know there's definitely a 110 in me, just got to throw myself under it...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #20
james forshaw

VOLUME
Squat - 9 x 3 @ 135kg - LSD = 9.5

Push Press - 5 x 5 @ 72.5kg - LSD = 9

Deadlift - 1 rep every 30s for 10 reps @ 150kg

Miscounted the squats and did 9 sets. Still maintaining excellent depth despite it feeling really heavy.
Moving into the upper limits of what I can do 5x5 for push presses, a real challenge this week.
To mix it up, tried deadlifting for volume. 10 reps isnt loads, but I wanted to maintain a straight back and improve my initial pull off the floor. Did the last 2 with hook grip, by far the heaviest weight I've lifted that way.