Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
John Haydon Boatner

Default Gaining

It seems that the majority of people here agree that IF ist so great for gaining. Is this the case?

Would extending the feeding period to a 14/10 or 12/12 schedule be any better for gaining while still getting some (even if minor) benefits of fasting.

I weigh like 115 at 5 10 lol so I will probably just gain normally then try to recomp with IF. Probably seems like a better idea but I would like my questions answered.

Foods I eat include lean meats, fish, oils, nuts, all sorts of fruits, and the only starchy carbs I eat are sweet potatoes and beans. I eat dairy as well. All this look good?
John Haydon Boatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

All depends on how much you can eat and how much you do IF. Calories count when trying to put on mass after all....that and don't spend all your time in the gym, muscles grow when you are NOT working them out.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haydon Boatner View Post
It seems that the majority of people here agree that IF ist so great for gaining. Is this the case?

Would extending the feeding period to a 14/10 or 12/12 schedule be any better for gaining while still getting some (even if minor) benefits of fasting.

I weigh like 115 at 5 10 lol so I will probably just gain normally then try to recomp with IF. Probably seems like a better idea but I would like my questions answered.

Foods I eat include lean meats, fish, oils, nuts, all sorts of fruits, and the only starchy carbs I eat are sweet potatoes and beans. I eat dairy as well. All this look good?
Looks great, eat, and eat more and more if you want to gain.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Huh? IF is great for controlling and being mindful/targeted with your food intake. I can't speak to any other scientificals that may go along with that.

Quote:

I weigh like 115 at 5 10 lol so I will probably just gain normally then try to recomp with IF.
The LOL is meant to indicate that you're joking, correct? if the numbers were re-ordered to 1 5 1, I'd wonder if you were an ultra distace runner,

115 makes me wonder if you are a corpse. Depending on your goal and starting point, IF might be a tricky littel thing to do. but if you are trying to support some sort of sporting endeavor that requires bieng more heavily muscled, I'd stick with the basics until they don't work.

eat what you're eating now only more.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Patrick Yeung

Yeah, when I read 115 at 5'10, you better just eat the fridge and not worry about fasting.

Lift, and eat, eat, and eat. Dont worry about putting on fat, I think if youre 115, youll get muscle gains right away anyways if you strength train being as how youre well below your healthy weight, which should be probably 35 pounds heavier.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Workout Day #1: Squat and Bench
Workout Day #2: Deadlift and Overhead Press

All other times...no cardio, lots of sleep, play X-Box.....

Do workouts 1 day on, 2 days off......and eat a ton, love your protein. You'll get big.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Workout Day #1: Squat and Bench
Workout Day #2: Deadlift and Overhead Press

All other times...no cardio, lots of sleep, play X-Box.....

Do workouts 1 day on, 2 days off......and eat a ton, love your protein. You'll get big.
Fail Safe.

Only thing I would add is never do sets of over 5 reps and rest in between sets 2-3 min. maybe some trunk work at the end of the work out... and pizza, chicken wings and ice cream on the week ends.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Fail Safe.

Only thing I would add is never do sets of over 5 reps and rest in between sets 2-3 min. maybe some trunk work at the end of the work out... and pizza, chicken wings and ice cream on the week ends.
Don't forget the Guinness!

Recently I've been enjoying the simplicity of the EDT method using between 8-5 reps of the same weight for 15-20min and incrementing every week.